• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rations While on Leave

Greywolf

Inactive
Reaction score
I currently live in single quarters on base (CFB Petawawa) and I have deductions for my rations at the mess hall every month.  I've been told when I go on leave, I can't use my ration card anymore and I will have to pay for my meals if I want to eat at the mess hall.  Is that true? 

It's not right because I still would have to pay for the rations!! 

Sorry I can't answer you question but I have a question for you...how much do they deduct for rations and then for board? I also plan on living in single quarters and just want an idea how much will be deducted from my pay. Also, can you opt out of having rations deducted from your pay and simply pay for what you eat? I am not a big eater at all and will likely save money by just buying my meals as I go.

Bojangles

Greywolf

When you go on leave, your meal card is deactivated and you are not being deducted any pay for rations.  That is why when you go on Christmas Lve and any long Lve during the year, you will have to pay cash should you use the Mess Hall.  When you are back from your Lve, your card is reactivated.  In some cases the Unit physically takes your card when you go on a long Lve period.

Deductions for rations right now is about $365/month, for board...depends on what kind of quarters you got...right now I'm in a double room and I pay $75/month.  You can opt out of rations and pay for what you eat.

But you'll have to turn in your card to get it deactivated, right?  I mean, when I went on leave last Christmas and I didn't eat at the mess for 3 weeks, I didn't turn in my card and I was still deducted the full amount for rations that month. 

Greywolf said:
But you'll have to turn in your card to get it deactivated, right? I mean, when I went on leave last Christmas and I didn't eat at the mess for 3 weeks, I didn't turn in my card and I was still deducted the full amount for rations that month.

Go to your OR and have that sorted out.

When you went on Leave, (I presume you went home) did you get your Lve Pass stamped at the Post Office, near by CF Unit, or other institution (as stated on your Lve Pass)?

Don't worry there is what is called Ration Remits and you will be reimbursed on your pay record for the actual days that you were on leave. It also is the same thing when you are away on TD or in the field on exercise for more than 24 hrs.

That is why there is that box on your leave pass to state whether you are on ration strength or not. Your Orderly Room will verify that you are on Ration strength and then take the necessary action to credit your pay record. That is how they know to deactivate your card.  You should turn in your card and remind your clerks when you proceed on leave. As for your previous Xmas holidays - talk to your clerks and see what they can do for you. Your leave pass should prove you were not in the area and hopefully (fingers crossed) you will get reimbursed for that time frame.

And if you are still on base for your leave period then you pay out of your pocket for the meals that you eat in the kitchen.

There are three references that all tie into one another CFAO 16-1, CFAO 36-14, and CFAO 36-21.

You should go and speak with your Orderly Room clerks to get their answer though. When in doubt for anything administrative or financial.....always talk to your clerks.

Yes, I got my leave pass stamped at the police station back home.  

I just talked to the clerk from the Orderly Room and he told me I won't get ration remits when I go on leave, only if I am TD or FOA. 

So there is no Way I'm going to pay out of my pocket for rations when I go on leave next week since I'm getting deducted for it already!  :mad:

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/036-21_e.asp

I quoted Annex B, para 1-4, 5d to the clerk at the Orderly Room, and he said it does not apply when I go on my annual...  :(

GreyWolf,

I just went through our Standing Orders for my base and it states:

"9. Living-in members on monthly pay deduction for rations are not entitled to meals at no charge while on annual leave. This is because their monthly meal plan is already abated by a value equal to 69 days per year to account for various types of leave (annual leave, stat and special leave). Therefore, to prevent public subsidization, meal cards shall be withdrawn /voided during each of these periods. The member may still use public dining facilities to access meal service, but only on a cash basis."

I talked with our Ration clerk here and she stated they changed this back in 1997.

My apologies as I did not have access to this information at home. So I guess you will either leave the area while on annual leave or just ensure that you have monies to pay for your meals at the mess hall or go downtown to McDonald's or something...

Back