• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Ball Cap

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
FM NDHQ C AIR FORCE OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
BT
UNCLAS
CANFORGEN 088/23 C AIR FORCE 012/23
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJ:RCAF DRESS UPDATE - RCAF BALL CAP

1. AS OF 01 JUNE 2023, RCAF COMD HAS AUTHORIZED ALL RCAF MBRS (EXCEPT
THOSE ON POSTING STRENGTH WITH THE CANADIAN ARMY) TO WEAR THE RCAF
BALL CAP WITH ALL VERSIONS OF OPERATIONAL DRESS

2. THE RCAF BALL CAP SHALL NOT BE WORN WITH DEU 1, 2 OR 3

3. THE RCAF BALL CAP IS AN OPTIONAL ITEM TO BE PROCURED AT MBRS
EXPENSE. THE ONLY AUTHORIZED RCAF BALL CAP IS THE ONE SOLD THROUGH
CANEX

4. THE RCAF BALL CAP IS AUTH FOR WEAR AT ALL TIMES WHERE HEADDRESS IS
APPROPRIATE. WHEN UNIFORMITY IS REQUIRED, OR WHEN SAFETY OR
OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS DICTATE, MBR CAN BE ORDERED TO REPLACE THE
BALL CAP WITH AN AUTHORIZED ISSUED HEADDRESS

5. UNIT BALL CAPS REMAIN AUTHORIZED BUT SHALL NOT BE WORN OUTSIDE
THE FLIGHT LINE, IAW WING STANDING ORDERS

6. THE RCAF BALL CAP MUST REMAIN CLEAN AND IN GOOD CONDITION. NO
ACCOUTREMENTS ARE TO BE ATTACHED TO THE BALL CAP, AND IT SHALL NOT BE
MODIFIED IN ANY WAY. ALL SALES TAGS/STICKERS SHALL BE REMOVED

7. IT SHALL BE WORN SECURELY AND SQUARELY ON THE HEAD WITH THE BRIM
FACING FORWARD. THE BRIM SHALL HAVE A SUBTLE CURVE, AND NO HAIR SHALL
BE VISIBLE FROM UNDER THE BRIM OR OBSTRUCT THE WEARERS VISION

8. THE RCAF BALL CAP CAN BE SECURED ON THE PANTS ON EITHER SIDE
WHEN INSIDE BUILDINGS, UNLESS THIS POSES A SAFETY RISK

The Army should be sprinting in the opposite direction of this informal rubbish. Undress headress (service / forage caps) for DEU, and re-inforcing of beret as normal working headdress in garrison.

I am, however, also a realist, and I know that the trend is for our military to look ever more slovenly and unprofessional.

Reactions: ueo
The Army should be sprinting in the opposite direction of this informal rubbish. Undress headress (service / forage caps) for DEU, and re-inforcing of beret as normal working headdress in garrison.

I am, however, also a realist, and I know that the trend is for our military to look ever more slovenly and unprofessional.

I think the army should be dressed like:

Season 6 Starz GIF by Outlander

At all times. Its good formal evening wear for dinning in and you can conquer the world in it.

Huzzah!

I think the Army has already achieved 'peak hat' and doesn't need to add another one to the extensive inventory. Looking forward to having these on general issue one day ;)

1685024471241.png

Subjective. I think headdress overall is ridiculous.

We need to start with enforcement of physical fitness and appearance, far too many fatties in uniform. The hair color and ball caps are just distractions.

Also, $35 for a canex-only hat? I'll be ordering a custom one from 59fifty that actually fits my head. HATFORGEN incoming....

Why not just get rid of hats all together?
Explain what they bring to the table anyways except "because it's always been done that way"??
(Obviously not talking about operational headwear)

6. THE RCAF BALL CAP MUST REMAIN CLEAN AND IN GOOD CONDITION. NO
ACCOUTREMENTS ARE TO BE ATTACHED TO THE BALL CAP, AND IT SHALL NOT BE
MODIFIED IN ANY WAY. ALL SALES TAGS/STICKERS SHALL BE REMOVED

Last edited:
It is interesting that when MacDonald's or Tim Horton's, bot h of whom assumingly take their public image quite seriously, tell their employee wear something on their heads none of the employees seem to bat an eye but when a police service or the military does the same thing it is a useless affront.

Why not just get rid of hats all together?
Explain what they bring to the table anyways except "because it's always been done that way"??
(Obviously not talking about operational headwear)

Uniformity, unit/rank/officer/branch/element identifiers. Comfort (sun, rain etc) in some cases.

Some of the weirder fancy types have historical reasons that were once operational reasons but have been kept on for ceremonial or historical reasons.

Also because most armed forces have chosen to make headdress a part of the uniform. No different than a sports team that decides what it’s jerseys will look like or what a company decides it’s employees will wear.

Tim’s or Mcdicks don’t have a problem with finding endless, cheap labour. People aren’t exactly knocking down the door of rcmp or caf recruiting centres. This hat thing is just pluggin the broken retention dam with a piece of gum.

Tim’s or Mcdicks don’t have a problem with finding endless, cheap labour. People aren’t exactly knocking down the door of rcmp or caf recruiting centres. This hat thing is just pluggin the broken retention dam with a piece of gum.
They do indeed have those problems as well. Labour shortages are a things in a lot of working environments and are not just limited to the CAF.

Back