• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RegF -> Res, then back again... is there another option?

betzj427

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize if this issue has been raised before, but my searches came up with nothing related.

I am currently in the Reg Force, LCIS Tech. I completed my BMQ in June, and SQ is slated for early 2011. Instead of the usual waiting time on PAT, I have been stuck on OJE (On-the-Job Experience), so I have been able to experience the trade a little bit. After much thought, I've decided it's not for me. I would like to OT (would really like Med Tech), but this is where it gets tricky. I don't have the Biology/Chemistry credits that I would need to be accepted into Med Tech, so a normal OT is not possible. I was considering doing a component transfer to Reserves... doing some upgrading and getting my stuff straightened out, and then requesting a CT back into RegF as a Med Tech. Problem is, it may be closed by that time, and we all know how long CT's can take. My question is: Do I have any other options? For example, is it possible to take x number of months Leave Without Pay to do some upgrading, then come back and continue with the ordinary OT process?
I am going to speak with my BPSO, because I know that's where I can get an answer... was just hoping someone might have had a similar experience and have some advice for me, so that I can go in more prepared.

Cheers!

Why get out/CT?  Look into taking classes, either at night or during the day and upgrade your education profile.  See your Chain of Command for options.  I have had troops working for me, go to High School during the day to upgrade their educations.  Many of us have also taken night classes to upgrade or just for interest.  There are options open to you.  Just ask.

I am aware of that option. However, by the time I would have upgraded my courses, I would already be course loaded onto my QL3. I don't believe I have sufficient time to get what I would need to OT before I would get locked into my current trade (at least until I reach Operationally Functional Point, at which time I would be allowed to OT). It seems I have a limited window of opportunity to do something, otherwise I am going to be in a trade that, unfortunately, I don't feel I will enjoy.

The next question is:  Do you want to go through the delays in the CT process, which from Reg Force to Reserve may not be as long as Reserve to Reg Force, but added up may be a period of two to three years?  There is also the matter of the freeze on Recruiting and Component Transfers, which no one can accurately predict coming to an end in any point in the near future.  Weigh all the factors in your decision.

Duly noted... that is a sobering thought for sure. I am going to put some serious thought into it this long weekend. Your input is definitely appreciated :)

Your best bet is to discuss this with your CoC and the BPSO.  Nobody really wants to waste time and money training you for something that you won't enjoy.  There are options.

Back