• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Report suggests 3/4 of Canadian Forces personnel are overweight, obese

QV said:
Another issue that contributes to an appearance of frumpiness in the CAF which is not discussed much is age.  Our military is old.  When I look at Americans or British they seem to have a much younger force.  We are more like a second public service.  CRA 60? - maybe if your a general...  But not a Sgt or Maj. 

We should have an up or out policy and caps on age or service years for certain ranks.  Normal progression should result in max service of 22 years - make room for younger fitter leaner soldiers. We should recruit no older than 30 but aim for 18-23 as the target age.  I'm sure there is a charter violation with age discrimination, but there needs to be exceptions for a combat capable force.

Turn your 'Gap Year' into a 'Gap 5 years!'

QV said:
Normal progression should result in max service of 22 years

That would get you a 44% pension.  Well below the 70% maximum.

On the current pension plan, yes, but if terms of service were to completely change then so should compensation and benefits but this a rabbit hole.... My point is the older demographics of our military compared to our peers tends to affect negatively, IMO, fitness (and fitness for combat). 

QV said:
On the current pension plan, yes, but if terms of service were to completely change then so should compensation and benefits but this a rabbit hole....

The CAF accrual rate is 2%. For some, ( Police Officers, Firefighters and Paramedics in Ontario ) it's 2.33%.

Even if the CAF were to achieve 2.33%, you would still have to serve 30 years in the Regular Force to max out.

You want "max service of 22 years"? That's nice, but who would want to be forced out on mandatory retirement with a 44% pension - when they used to be allowed to stay in for the whole ride and get 70%?

Who would join any employer under those Terms of Service? That hardly sounds like the way An Employer of Choice would treat a loyal employee.

QV said:
My point is the older demographics of our military compared to our peers tends to affect negatively, IMO, fitness (and fitness for combat).

I won't argue with that. But, from reading the 11-page "Am I too to Join" discussion, there seems to be a lot of encouragement for older potential applicants.

Since subsequent generations are typically much smaller than the Baby Boomer generation, finding suitable replacement staff can be a challenge.

QV said:
We should recruit no older than 30 but aim for 18-23 as the target age. 

That practice used to be relatively common with certain employers prior to the early 1980s.

Like you say, it's not a bad idea to get in when you are young.  :)

You know, as a leader in this great organization of ours, I really don't care so much how the troops look (physically, they still need to be well groomed and dressed). I care how they perform. That may sound like sacrilege to some, but look around and see what society looks like, and accept that we have to take what we can get in many cases. It may mean taking that late 30ish individual who isn't the perfect physical specimen and is carrying a few extra pounds. He might never be able to be the front line hard charging combat arms type, but he might make the best mechanic in the platoon, or Int O in the HQ.

captloadie said:
You know, as a leader in this great organization of ours, I really don't care so much how the troops look (physically, they still need to be well groomed and dressed). I care how they perform. That may sound like sacrilege to some, but look around and see what society looks like, and accept that we have to take what we can get in many cases. It may mean taking that late 30ish individual who isn't the perfect physical specimen and is carrying a few extra pounds. He might never be able to be the front line hard charging combat arms type, but he might make the best mechanic in the platoon, or Int O in the HQ.

Sadly though, in some cases, it looks like 'what we can get' equates to 'morbidly obese'. I never thought I'd see the day when I was in an Army that would openly tolerate, and protect through formal policies of one kind or another, senior leaders and others who have to swath themselves in what I can only describe as a Cadpat Moo-Moo.

Jarnhamar said:
I think the opportunity to deploy operationally is a good motivator to get in shape and be fit. 

Other motivators are discussed here,

Armed Forces Consider incentives to keep soldiers fit 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/114687.50
12 pages.

daftandbarmy said:
Sadly though, in some cases, it looks like 'what we can get' equates to 'morbidly obese'. I never thought I'd see the day when I was in an Army that would openly tolerate, and protect through formal policies of one kind or another, senior leaders and others who have to swath themselves in what I can only describe as a Cadpat Moo-Moo.

You do have a good point.

I know a number of soldiers who could be described as "in shape" because round is a shape. Don't let appearances deceive you - those round soldiers can regularly go above and beyond to make things happen because some of our "fit soldiers" - you know, the gym rats and others, are too busy at the gym to do that mundane Army stuff...

Back