• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Res Infantry :Is it possible to be fully qualified for deployment in one summer?

bishop

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys, im really sorry if this a repost, i tried the search feature and too much came up.. lol if its ok, id like a more direct answer

I was wondering if its possible to be fully trained and qualified in one summer to do an overseas tour? And if so, what are the courses and steps (in order ;)) to get there?
If it matters, i might be doing the spring'06 BMQ (long story)

personally, from what ive read so far, it doesn't seem likely, but i figured it couldn't hurt to ask..

thanks

Should be if you complete BMQ in the spring leaving SQ and BIQ to complete in the summer. 

I did it in '92 and was overseas 13 months after being sworn in.

I think you need your 5's now to go overseas as a reserve, they do in Sigs Reserves, as was told to me by the unit recruiter just recently.

I know you're talking about QL5.  Maybe a rough Infantry equivilent would be DP2 or 2A now.  Personally I don't see the point and the regs certainly don't need it.

thanks for the help fellas

just to clarify, I need more than my BMQ, SQ and BIQ to be eligible for an overseas tour? I also need a DP2 or QL5... ??? lol

bishop said:

just to clarify, I need more than my BMQ, SQ and BIQ to be eligible for an overseas tour? I also need a DP2 or QL5... ??? lol

Yup,but thats the least of it.
Where you make your self,is work up.
If you bugger up,you may get to go over, but as a G.D. with in the Camp but not part of a Section.
If you realy bugger up you will be told and be R.T.U.'d

The biggest failing I have seen with in the Eng.'s was unfit, lazy buggers and total f' ups.,but granted that was in 95,96 but the Army is the Army and I imagine it's the same to day. ;D :salute:

bishop said:

Once you are BIQ qualified apply.  My unit is sending lots without DP2 or QL5.  Selection in LFCA has been tough, and lots of good soldiers have not been making through.

Be very fit, know your drills, and be prepared to work you butt off.

c4th said:
Once you are BIQ qualified apply.   My unit is sending lots without DP2 or QL5.   Selection in LFCA has been tough, and lots of good soldiers have not been making through.

Be very fit, know your drills, and be prepared to work you butt off.

What kind of work would i be doing? Would i be put in with the reg force infantry? ( even if im considered a ''milidiot'' lol)
I cant seem to find a definite answer, probably because there isn't one, but id like to know from your's and everyone's experience.
I want to make sure I know what im getting into lol.

again, thank you :salute:

In my unit, the general feeling seems to be (and what we've been told) is that you need bmq, sq, biq, comms AND 2A, or comms and driver wheel.For some reason the comms course is very desirable.I guess I can see why.. if something happens to your sigs guys or your radiomen, and nobody knows how to talk to anyone, youre in trouble.

What we were told on our BMQ course, after someone asked this very question, was that having BMQ, SQ and BIQ is theoretically enough to go on ops. However, we were also told that precedence goes to the more qualified individuals, so a MCpl is more likely to get the job than a brand-new Private.

If your main goal is to "go on deployment" I don't think the reserve option is the way to go.

With the amount of time spent on "BMQ, SQ, BIQ redeployment Training, Deployment, post deployment" you should just apply for the regular force and do an initial basic engagement.

Your chances for a deployment are more likely if you belong to a regular force unit than trying to complete for a few reseve slots, but always not a given.

Personally,  I rather take a reg soldier that as complete all the qualification trg and demonstrated merit than a new reservist. The reserve courses tend to be bastardized more that their regular force counterparts. Even Regular QL 3/DP 1 Infantry troops are not consider trained until their 36 month of service IE Pte (B) to Pte (T) and that is full time service and alot of additional training from the unit.

In short, if you are wanting the Full experience, join the regs, if you are looking to see if the CF is for you, then the Reserves.

I've been told to get my Dvr Whl before I apply to go overseas, as I will probably get stuck with GD.

Spr.Earl said:
The biggest failing I have seen with in the Eng.'s was unfit, lazy buggers and total f' ups.,but granted that was in 95,96 but the Army is the Army and I imagine it's the same to day.

Yup. We had to get rid of a couple reservists who didn't quite fit the bill for the upcoming Roto. :crybaby: Granted, some of the reservists we have for this tour are top notch, but a lot of the ones we did keep should not be going. I guess only time will tell....

Back