• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve attendance

Seems my unit has alot more in common, then you‘d like to think, when it comes to this.

Maybe the officers have more to do/think about than whether or not you‘re being sufficiently entertained, Pte Nomercy. Exercises get cancelled. It‘s annoying to pers at all levels, but it happens anyway. Suck it up and quit whining.

I also kind of find it sad, Pte M., that it would require CADPAT or Gortex issuance to get you in and interested in participating on a training night...

I can understand not being happy that plans changed.. but if it is necessary to stack those IMP‘s you are going to be using on your next ex rather than have them sit in a pool of water on the floor and fester, than I believe a good solider can get off his butt and pile some boxes.

It may not always be glamourous, but you didn‘t join the boy scouts or a hobby club.

My Question: What is the point of joining if your not going to show up, just cause it might be boring. You ARE getting paid for it... but that shouldn‘t be why your joining in the first place...

Firstly I'd like to apologize to anyone if offended them, this was not my intent. My intent was to offer input.

Firstly, I am not whining, willy. I am offering my input on how I, and the rest of the people I know and work with feel. I respect that you area a Mcpl. and can understand where your remark is coming from.

Secondly, Meridian, the issue of CADPAT or Gortex issues had NOTHING to do with MY attendance. I was there EVERY WEEK for my parade nights and EVERY EX. Why? Because, it is my duty as a CF soldier to do so. As for the statement about boy scouts etc. The Army is not about â Å“glamourâ ? it is about Duty. Troops will stack the IMP's, but it doesn't mean that they like it or are upset that plans fell through.

I used those stories as an example as I was there and know exactly what happened. I used the CADPAT/GORTEX example because it turned off attendance of MANY OTHER troops which I also do believe is sad.

However, I do believe that they are not entirely at fault for feeling that way. So CO‘s and Sect Cmmd‘s shouldn‘t be surprised scratching their heads wondering why troops don‘t perform their duty and â Å“suck it upâ ? and show up.

As reservists who have jobs, families, work, and school anyone can relate when I say that sometimes we have to pick what parade night we can come in. Meaning, that when we hear something important like an "amazing training night" we make arrangements and plans in the week so we can make it for that night or ex.

What happens in situations like this, people come in and find themselves doing nothing because plans fell through or statements were made to ensure a good turn out. So when guys come up and find this, they have every right to be frustrated, and therefore are reluctant to come down more often because they always have those incidents in the back of their mind.

It works two ways really, troops come up to train/work etc on time and ready to go...there should be what was promised waiting there for them.

I myself have made trg arrangements for my troops, only to have them ruined at the last minute by the actions of someone higher on the food chain than I am, or by administrative concerns or problems that crop up suddenly. My plans get ruined, my Sgt‘s plans get ruined, my Tp WO‘s plans get ruined, even my CO‘s plans get ruined by such shenanigans, and they happen quite frequently. Last minute changes to the trg calendar, I‘ll give you this, are one of the single most annoying things about life in the reserves.

That said, it‘s a fact of life that they will always occur, because the nature of the reserves (being part time, often having less experienced pers working for you, etc) makes it almost inevitable that they will. This kind of thing happens to the regs a fair bit as well though, I can assure you. All in all, though everyone does their best to limit such ****ups to a bare minimum, they do occur more than we‘d like, and we just have to deal with it. Without ever having met a single Officer or NCO in your unit, I‘d bet you a large sum of money that none of them are actually intentionally lying to you, telling you to come in for rapelling when they know you‘re going to be doing pub amendments. They get boned the same as you.

Back