• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Officer to Regular Force Officer

Flames2557

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm presently in university and I've applied to be an officer in the reserves. I've passed all my tests and what not and simply waiting approval from headquarters. I understand that training for officers in the reserves is that same for officers in the regular force. My questions are:

1. If I was to transfer from the reserves to the regular force, would I maintain my rank from the reserves? For example if I get promoted to first Lt., when I transferred I keep first Lt. Rather then starting at 2nd Lt.

2. Is the process long for a transfer from the reserves to the regular for an officer?

Thanks.

I am a reservist as an NCM.

1. Did a quick search, and this talks about Office Vs NCM in the reserves, it also somewhat talks about keeping quals.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/105093.0

2. It can be very long for NCMs. 1 - 2 years is the rule of thumb. I'd imagine it is similar. Depends, on the trade the year. I have a friend who applied for MPO back in like March, hasn't heard anything back (Though I've heard it is a very tough trade to get into).

I have a few questions for you

A) Have you considered ROTP
B) How many years do you have left in your degree
C) What trade are you applying for
D) Why an officer in the reserves. (Most NCMs are students)

The military didn't become an idea until following the completion of my first year. I have less then two years remaining for the completion of my degree. ROPT, was a thought, but I wanted to keep my options opened invade I got in and didn't like the army. The unfortunate part is where I am, we are extremely limited to the reserve companies. I applied for an armoured officer.

Unless it is different for the reserves, which I do not believe it is, you will have to complete your degree before applying for officer, seeing as a university degree is a pre-requisite.  You could always consider applying for ROTP or RETP, and finishing your degree at RMC, however, until the day that you are holding that degree in your hand, your only option, other than paid education, would be NCM, regardless if whether you have a semester to go, or are 1st year.

Reserve Officers do not need a degree, they need to be in the process of getting a degree. But it is not like DEO in Regular Force. I am in second year and when I went to the local reserve unit they told me I could apply as either an NCM or to be an Officer Candidate. 

When you apply to go Regs from the PRes there will be an assessment of your training and qualifications.  If your application for Regs is accepted, you will recieve an offer.  That offer will include the Rank and incentive for the Regs.  Until you apply, and as long as you are in the PRes, you will be builing on experience.  You may have some training to do to qualify within you trade in the Regs.  For example...a PRes Armour Officer is not Turret Qualified (Usually), so has to do a TOC, and possibly other training before moving on. 

This will all be explained through the CT process when you apply.

Back