• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Signals Officer Training

PResO

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, can anyone outline the current Reserve Signals Officer Training requirements?

I have heard different things and even the recruiter didn't seem to know exactly about the trades courses part. Apparently they were shortened recently and modularized.

Can someone outline the courses and how long each takes when thinking about Reserve Signals Officer Training that is part-time from the moment one joins?

So far I have researched:
BMQ - 30 days (weekend option local)
BMQ-A - 10 days (weekend option local)
BMOQ - 10 weeks
Trades DP1 in Kingston?? Mod 1 - 7 weeks? Mod 2 - 4 weeks? Used to be 6 months in one go? This is the part that needs clarification about timing and location.

Last edited:
You're mixing up BMQ and BMOQ. It's been a few years since I went through -- but in general:

1. Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) -- this is the same course as BMQ with an additional mod for officers
2. Basic Military Officer Qualification - Army (BMOQ-A) -- common for Army officers
3. Basic Signal Officer Course (BSOC) - trade training through Canadian Forces School Of Communications and Electronics (CFSCE) in Kingston

The Army adjusts courses (timings, durations, part-time options) every year as needs change.

You're mixing up BMQ and BMOQ. It's been a few years since I went through -- but in general:

1. Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) -- this is the same course as BMQ with an additional mod for officers
2. Basic Military Officer Qualification - Army (BMOQ-A) -- common for Army officers
3. Basic Signal Officer Course (BSOC) - trade training through Canadian Forces School Of Communications and Electronics (CFSCE) in Kingston

The Army adjusts courses (timings, durations, part-time options) every year as needs change.
Thanks for the reply.
So then it looks like:
Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) - 30 days + 10 days
Basic Military Officer Qualification - Army (BMOQ-A) - 10 weeks?
Basic Signal Officer Course (BSOC) - So how long is this one then it total? I assume it's probably split in mods.

Yes in general -- but your mileage will vary. Look around this site for discussions of BMOQ and BMOQ-A ... these are not specific to Signals so don't limit yourself to this forum. Format for BSOC (and probably BMOQ-A) will change by the time you get there... pandemics, recessions, hiring booms happen. Best to speak to others in the training system ahead of you.

For what it's worth:
  1. BMOQ -- this was offered every second weekend, for 12 to 15 weekends, offered twice a year (in Toronto at least), this was delivered in conjunction with BMQ. In addition there was another two week mod for officer candidates. Last I heard this mod had been reduced to one week.
  2. BMOQ-A -- it was five mods (most two weeks) for a total of 10 to 12 weeks. At one time it was possible to break up the mods so that you didn't have to do them concurrently.
  3. BSOC -- it was a three month mod at Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics, in Kingston, most weekends free. Reg Force did a second two-month mod; Primary Reserve did this OJT at their home unit. This changed substantially during the pandemic. In any case you're looking at a minimum of three to five months of instruction.

Thanks, that is very helpful. Looks like the exact training length and how it's offered is constantly changing. Hopefully they shorten it and break it up into smaller modules as it would be pretty hard to squeeze all that within 3 years with a full-time job and other commitments on top. Apparently Military Police Officers don't even do BMOQ-A.

My advice is to eat the elephant one bite at a time:
  • You should be able to do BMOQ on the weekends -- so no impact to civilian work, no need for awkward discussions with your boss.
  • This gives you an opportunity to decide whether this is for you. If it is, you will have at least the duration of weekend BMOQ (about 6 months give or take) before you could even look at scheduling BMOQ-A.
  • Use this time to lay the groundwork early -- look at training options such as Mods and unit training, research Canadian Forces Liaison Council, speak to them, look at the sample letters on the CAF website, find out if your civilian employer has a military leave policy and read it, etc.
  • Start the discussion with your boss as early as possible -- requesting a couple months leave a year ahead is a career planning discussion; requesting a couple months leave with two weeks warning is probably a non-starter.

It is doable but it takes research and planning.

Back