• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of MATS TECH trade to the reserves?

VIChris

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been hearing more and more talk of having the MATS TECH return to the PRes SVC BNs over the past 6 months or so. As a civvie welder who's waited over 3 years for trades training as a VEH TECH, this talk has me very interested. Does anyone here have any further info on this? My CoC supports my desire to pursue the MATS TECH trade if it comes around again, I'm just looking for some insight as to when that may be, and what may be expected of militia tent-smiths.

I was in CFB Borden this past summer going through the new Training program for weapons techs and I heard the same Rumors. From what Understand the Army wants the Reserves to be more independent and reliant on themselves (ASU Calgary is being taken over by 41 SVC BN for example). Due to this they want to bring Mat Techs and EO techs to the reserves, Mat Techs first with EO techs 2-4 years after that. The Mat tech program will be modular like the new Veh and wpns training. Last I heard while at CFSEME was most of the modules were done except the first two, however I heard the time to get fully qualified was eight summers total. Now Your welders ticket might bump this down to 7, or less I have no details on the break down of the training it self. Earliest date i've heard for implimentation is 2014, but this is CFSEME we are dealing with so who knows when it might actually be.

Thank you very much for the reply. It will be interesting to see the breakdown of all this.

MilEME09 said:
ASU Calgary is being taken over by 41 SVC BN for example
Thread Hijack - Lets give factual information here.  41 Svc Bn is not taking over ASU Calgary.  ASU Calgary is closing, 41 Svc Bn is taking over some (not even close to all) institutional support roles but most of the support ASU Calgary provided will come out of ASB Edmonton.

That seems to be happening in all areas, no? We're in a similar scenario in BC with the closure of ASU Cilliwack. Some if there members are now working out of the Sherman Armoury in Richmond, and some of the vacuum is to be filled by the rest of 39 SVC BN. We're looking at a big adjustment period at all the SVC BNs from what the CO tells us.

Not_So_Arty_Newbie said:
Thread Hijack - Lets give factual information here.  41 Svc Bn is not taking over ASU Calgary.  ASU Calgary is closing, 41 Svc Bn is taking over some (not even close to all) institutional support roles but most of the support ASU Calgary provided will come out of ASB Edmonton.

Yes my bad, Meant to say 41 SVC is taking over duties from ASU Calgary with the help of RSS staff, things like clothing stores though is out of edmonton which I find stupid to replace kit we now have to turn it in send it to edmonton then wait for the new kit to be sent back. Any way back on topic VIChris, keep in touch with your chain and see if you can get them to let you know when they hear about the Mat Tech program going ahead. That way you can start the trade transfer ahead of time to hopefully be ready for training.

Got word from the CoC that the CAF is not training new PRes Mats Techs. The positions will exist in reserve land, but will only be filled by folks releasing from the regs. Balls.

VIChris said:
Got word from the CoC that the CAF is not training new PRes Mats Techs. The positions will exist in reserve land, but will only be filled by folks releasing from the regs. Balls.

thanks for the update, though thats rather sad to hear, i was hoping to get some MatTechs

Back