• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rick (Master Crayon Eater) on choosing your political horse

ArmyRick

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Some of our political discussions get "high spirited". I wanted to weigh in on some of my thoughts and lessons learned over the years about politics (and maybe what horse you want to back).
What do I know? I am former caryon eater (infantry) and current farmer (most of you know this). I am just as dumb as the other fence post, but yet I am surprised at how some people can support the politics or political views they do.
So, some of my thoughts

1. Every election, treat all candidates on the roster as though employees applying for a high paying job YOU are paying for. Treat each candidate with a fresh view and clean slate (unless they are an incumbent and have shown you nothing but disappointment). Hear every candidates views, ideas and positions on every political issue. Treat the "hiring" of this candidate as though your company depended on it.

2. LOSE the political affiliations. Blind loyalty is for family, pets and sports teams, not politics. We really should get past the "We have alwasy been Liberal/Conservative/NDP/etc" or "XX Party Forever!". This is really self defeating. Each election and at every level, when you are seeking your new "employee", look at the party they represent (if any) and weigh that in on your decision making. You may find an excellent candidate but representing a party with a terrible platform. You have to decide, but lose the sports club mentality.

3. Discuss Politics. YES. Do the forbidden. Lose the cowardly Canadian attitude in families and amongst friends. It may be uncomfortable and stressful but the more we talk about politics, the more we get past such extreme polarization (in my view). Its like dealing with cancer or a serious illness, the more you pretend somethings not there or not happening, the worst it will get. Then suddenly, one day a politician is making a huge decision that shocks you to the bone. Lets talk politics among family and friends.

4. Hold high expectations of your political representives. They work for US, not the other way around. Hold them accountable for their integrity, transparency and accountability. Provide feedback! Participate in polls, surveys, etc. Send the occassional email to your representive explaing your concerns and where you feel they have got it right.

5. Fire them. If your candidate or your party has let you down, DON'T VOTE for them. But do vote. And no complaints of "no one else to vote for" thats a cheap cop out. And it results in the polticians we don't like or want staying in power. Every election and at every level, I have always seen many choices. Last June, the Ontario election, there were 12 candidates on my MPP voting card representing 10 parties. No excuses, get out and vote. Don't be afraid to vote someone who may very well lose.

6. Treat this country, your province or your municipality like you put everything into building it and desperately need to keep it going. This ties to point #1, don't be afraid to ditch your support for the incumbent or people you have supported in the past. Consider going with a different political stripe, think about whats best for you and your family. I personally have voted Conservatives, NDP, Green Party, Trillium Party, Libertarian Party and independents at both federal and provincial levels.

7. Pay attention to politics. There is plenty of media available to cover political affairs. Whats going on in the houses. Whats going on in the committees. Do some research. Find out whats in the bills be voting on. Don't let yourself be ignorant.

8. When discussing politics, don't make stuff up like lies and rumours to spread political propaganda. That again, is very self defeating. Vote on facts. Get the facts.

9. Don't turn a blind eye to bad political decision making. Don't. If the person you support or the party your backing is dropping the ball, kick them in the ass with an iron boot. They are paid big bucks, make them damn well earn it. If they continue to disappoint you, pull your support fast and hard. And I suggest you let them know. Be strong and stand up for your riding.

Our politicians should work really hard to get our vote, they should work even harder to keep our vote.

What are your thoughts?

I like what you wrote. One thing I'd suggest is to be skeptical of government funded media. If the media says a politician said/did something for instance, go back and find the actual footage if available and watch to learn the context and actual content.

"Our politicians should work really hard to get our vote, they should work even harder to keep our vote."

And therein lies the problem. Politicians, at every level, should be doing what's right for their constituents whether it gets them votes or not. Long ago it used to be referred to as Public Service and was thought of as an honourable means to pause individual ambitions and for a short term and contribute to your community, country, and society in general. This of course disappeared with the polarization of Party Politics.

I want someone with a vision for how to make this Canada better, not an ideologue seeking to make a different Canada.
I want someone driven by desire to serve the country, not ambition to be PM.
I want someone that can sell me on their vision rather than buy my vote or feed my preconceptions
I want someone willing to lose the next election/piss off their base by doing the right thing
I want someone that knows their shit, listens when they don't, and doesn't try to cram square ideological solutions into round real issues.
I want someone that I would work for, and have work for me.
I want a leader.
I am left wanting.

Edit- the last person I voted for PM was Layton. Since then it's been voting for riding representation.

Last edited:
I worked for 4 PM's , Paul Martin seemed fairly competent although I did not interact to much with his Ministers. JC was fiscal stringent, but corrupt as all ****. Harper was a mixed bag, he did some things well and mucked up other things, examples, the "Workforce Adjustment" was a totally shitshow and eventually led to the rehiring of many people let go, due to poor planning. On the other hand he shut down a mine proposal that was also piece of crap and strengthened the environmental agency, by giving them actual enforcement so they could compel and fine proponents who did not follow CEAA mitigation's, something the Liberals could never bother to do. Thankfully my tenure with JT was brief, but even early on I knew senior managers shaking their heads saying ; "how are we going to afford this?" or having to consult with FN on regulation change, where the decisions had been already made in Ottawa and we were mostly a dog and pony show to appease them.
As a gun owner, JC, PM and JT have all been using me as a vote pinata, to be fair KC was not much better. Harper left me alone, wish he had done more, but being left alone was nice for a change. Now I wonder who will be the vote pinata when the gun owners are completely crushed? Car owners? , pleasure boat owners?

edit: Had I been of voting age and not diaper age in the early 60's, I would have voted Liberal based on what I have seen. I grew up in a very hardcore NDP family with a grandfather in the CCF, dad as a NDP MLA and spending my youth around Thomas Berger and other big NDP names. so I have already trekked across the political wasteland.

I worked for 4 PM's , Paul Martin seemed fairly competent although I did not interact to much with his Ministers. JC was fiscal stringent, but corrupt as all ****. Harper was a mixed bag, he did some things well and mucked up other things, examples, the "Workforce Adjustment" was a totally shitshow and eventually led to the rehiring of many people let go, due to poor planning. On the other hand he shut down a mine proposal that was also piece of crap and strengthened the environmental agency, by giving them actual enforcement so they could compel and fine proponents who did not follow CEAA mitigation's, something the Liberals could never bother to do. Thankfully my tenure with JT was brief, but even early on I knew senior managers shaking their heads saying ; "how are we going to afford this?" or having to consult with FN on regulation change, where the decisions had been already made in Ottawa and we were mostly a dog and pony show to appease them.
As a gun owner, JC, PM and JT have all been using me as a vote pinata, to be fair KC was not much better. Harper left me alone, wish he had done more, but being left alone was nice for a change. Now I wonder who will be the vote pinata when the gun owners are completely crushed? Car owners? , pleasure boat owners?

edit: Had I been of voting age and not diaper age in the early 60's, I would have voted Liberal based on what I have seen. I grew up in a very hardcore NDP family with a grandfather in the CCF, dad as a NDP MLA and spending my youth around Thomas Berger and other big NDP names. so I have already trekked across the political wasteland.
Growing up in a hard core NDP family? Me too. My parents were provincial employees for ministry corrections and they were hard core NDP.

Now they have switched to conservative after a life time of NDP support. They can't take the NDP seriously anymore.

I used to be a Dipper as well. But unfortunately the left has left me behind.

Bo Burnham Pun GIF

In my volunteer group for Navy League, I clamp down on any political discussion, as I know that there are several competing views on the subject and I don't need it poisoning our teamwork. What people, do, say and post outside of our program is their own business.

If you want to keep your friends, if  they don't want to talk politics, don't talk politics.

Plenty of chat rooms to post political opinions.
If they avoid talking politics, someone else will. And you may not like whats getting cooked up

In my volunteer group for Navy League, I clamp down on any political discussion, as I know that there are several competing views on the subject and I don't need it poisoning our teamwork. What people, do, say and post outside of our program is their own business.
Keeping it out of the work place or volunteer organizations is reasonable. Avoiding talking politics altogether hasn't worked and it won't work.

My POINT and you missed it, is DO talk politics.

My POINT and you missed it,

If you want to keep your friends, if  they don't want to talk politics, don't talk politics.

They have the same rights you do. Like the right NOT to talk politics, if they prefer not to.

Avoiding the discussion of politics and by extension, policies is actually dangerous. Its like someone with cancer or in bankruptcy avoiding talking about it.

The discussions may be very uncomfortable and down right emotionally charged, but hiding from it, is denying it.

Then you wake up one day and find yourself saying WTF is the government doing?

My POINT and you missed it,

They have the same rights you do. Like the right to NOT talk politics with you.
Checked my edited post, I stand by what I said. One of the best lessons I have learned in life ia facing the world head on, get things out in the open (my mother is welsh irish, we are very blunt with each other) and get the dialogue going.

There is of course, times and place to talk about it.

Avoiding the discussion of politics and by extension, policies is actually dangerous. Its like someone with cancer or in bankruptcy avoiding talking about it.

The discussions may be very uncomfortable and down right emotionally charged, but hiding from it, is denying it.

Then you wake up one day and find yourself saying WTF is the government doing?
Often you find the other person was completely unaware of the context/situation/actual statement/policies that had previously driven their voting intention (usually due to complete adherence to state media).

Often you find the other person was completely unaware of the context/situation/actual statement/policies that had previously driven their voting intention (usually due to complete adherence to state media).
I wish we could secretly bug our politicians. ALL of them. Would be interesting to see what they are all thinking and saying.

Back