• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Robert (Bob) Smith - WWII - Originally from Toronto area, trained in Nanaimo BC

jlewis

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just begun researching the family of ROBERT (BOB) SMITH, and would very much appreciate any assistance:

Robert had a brother named James (Jim) SMITH. Both born between 1915 and 1930.
Bob and Jim were from the Toronto ON area. During WWII, they trained in Nanaimo BC. I don't know when they arrived in Nanaimo, but know they were there as late as 1942.

During their time in Nanaimo (and perhaps prior to that, in Toronto,) Bob and Jim had friends named 'Lucky', 'Al' (a Native Indian, from Ontario), 'Slim', and 'Seely' (HMCS Comox), to name a few.

I don't know what regiment Bob was with, but it may have been the Highlanders. If so, it was possibly The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's).

I have stories and momentos of Bob and his brother Jim, and would love to share.

I am looking to locate Bob or Jim Smith, their descendants, or perhaps their friends.

I would be grateful also if anyone has any ideas or some advice on where I should begin.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Lewis

Hello,
I just thought to reply to this, as it has been a while since the first posting, and I thought that perhaps newer members may not have seen it.
Thank you for your time.
Jennifer
jenniferlewis@telus.net

Hi,

I re-looked through the paperwork that was given to me on this, and I have found a few more interesting tidbits:
Unfortunately, I do not have very much information at all!  Here is what I do know (based on family recollections):

Robert (Bob) Smith was from the Toronto area and was in Nanaimo in 1941-1942.  He may have been in Nanaimo before or after that, but for sure he was there in late 1941 or early 1942.
Bob had a brother named James (Jim).  Jim was also in Nanaimo.
Bob was with the ‘Highlanders’.
Bob and Jim hung around with their friends ‘Lucky’, ‘Al’ (a native Indian, also from Ontario), ‘Slim’, and ‘Seely’ (HMCS Comox).

My Grandmother has an old autograph book.  She has various poems and signatures from these people as well as many many others.  Jim Smith signed her book, and under his name, it says “Toronto, Ont, D.H.R.C.”  (I don’t know what DHRC means – perhaps you could tell me?)

Also in my Grandmother’s papers was a document issued by the Canadian Champlain Service to the First Canadian Armoured Brigade Eighth Army – Central Mediterraneaa Force.  It is a 4 page document outlining the Agenda for the Sunday Easter Service, April 9, 1944.  I suspect this document may have been sent to her from Robert Smith.

I don’t know if Robert Smith is alive or not.
I have no photos of him.

My Grandmother has dementia, so it is difficult to ask her questions about the past.  When asked, she tells us what she can, but then says she does not remember, as it was so long ago.  If I happen to visit her on one of her “good” days, what would you say are the top 2-3 questions that I should ask her in order to further my research?

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you for reading this.
Jennifer
jenniferlewis@telus.net

Back