• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Robotic legs could lead to super troopers

sdimock

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings All,

What does everyone think of this development?

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/03/10/human.exoskeleton.ap/index.html

It makes you to dependable on technology that may fail.

Obviously they‘d want you to carry more weight. What if something goes wrong. You can‘t carry 300-500 pounds.

What if you get ambushed, you duck for cover only then realizing that 400 pounds of gear is coming down with you.

If international Militarys use this. They will want one thing. Make it better.
Making such a thing better, influences more. More. More. More. eventually leading to Mechanized Techanized warfare.

Soon it won‘t be Computer Generated Images you see in MechWarrior. It will be the real thing, standing 100 metres tall carrying thousands of tons of weaponry, being air worthy, and just one or 2 people in a cockpit.

There must be alternatives.

Wonder if that happens, and we do have exoskeletons to walk around in...Why won‘t the enemy then develop emp‘s to stop us? Ya know, electro magnetic pulses. Stuff from nukes I think that knocks out all electronic stuff. Meh, just a thought. This ‘advance‘ in technology is getting kind of scary.

Yes. Of course our enemys will.

Thats why we are not ready for this type of advancment.

For the sake of discussion and as a â Å“techyâ ? kind of guy I will take up the side of developing this equipment.

No-one take any of this personally because none of it is meant that way, everyone is entitled to there view and I encourage people to chime in.

â Å“It makes you to dependable on technology that may fail.â ?

Yes it makes you dependant on technology that may fail but that can be said of modern equipment in general, from planes and tanks to cars and radios. Steps are taken to minimize such risks, a special classification does exist for military electronics (called military spec), its for everything from resistors on up.

â ?Obviously they‘d want you to carry more weight. What if something goes wrong. You can‘t carry 300-500 pounds.â ?

True again but if this equipment is looked at as a light vehicle rather than an individual soldiers kit, (ie: 1 or 2 per section with stores person carrying the heavier load) then yes if one person or unit goes down then you would have to reassess your situation and adjust accordingly.

â ?What if you get ambushed, you duck for cover only then realizing that 400 pounds of gear is coming down with you.â ?

Again a real problem, but there should be a technique where you can roll down and break loose of the setup. No question it would be tough but doable. I would hope that the engineers had considered that a person could fall with this getup on (I image they had a lot of that during development ;) ).

â ?If international Militarys use this. They will want one thing. Make it better.
Making such a thing better, influences more. More. More. More. eventually leading to Mechanized Techanized warfare.â ?

That's what exsits now in the air and on the sea and ground, all technology doesn't make the cut though, the technology exsits to do some things but the cost is just to prohibitive.

â ?Soon it won‘t be Computer Generated Images you see in MechWarrior. It will be the real thing, standing 100 metres tall carrying thousands of tons of weaponry, being air worthy, and just one or 2 people in a cockpit.â ?

Jets, tanks and ships almost fall into that category now ( a stretch i know :D ). To tie that much of your resourses into one unit as easily detectable as even a 10 M target is a risky proposition though.

â ?There must be alternatives.â ?

There are, we are using them now, technology just gives us options.

â Å“Wonder if that happens, and we do have exoskeletons to walk around in...Why won‘t the enemy then develop emp‘s to stop us? Ya know, electro magnetic pulses. Stuff from nukes I think that knocks out all electronic stuff.â ?

Both weapons to cause the effect and defensive measures are in existence now.

â Å“Meh, just a thought. This ‘advance‘ in technology is getting kind of scary.â ?

Advances in weaponry have always been scary.

Consider this as well, this unit is years from practical use, when and if it "hits the shelves" it will be smaller lighter and more refined, the flip side is it will likely cost more than your brand new family car.

Chimo

edited for spelling and grammar :D

Hmmn, I‘m reminded of the smartgun rig from "Alien" except that was a MG42/4 on a steadycam mount. Still, if you were able to tie these two together, then you‘d have a man running around w/ a .50. Possibilities?

Looks like the beginning steps towards the power suits in Starship Troopers (the book of course). Just add armour, comms, jet pack and bombracks and BAM! Everyone here could be Johnny Rico.

Who knows, with more development and acceptance, it could become a vital part of the army‘s arsenal. After all, look at the first tanks used in the Great War... and aircraft. The development of those assets went through a lot of growing pains but now no military force is considered complete without them.

Looks like the beginning steps towards the power suits in Starship Troopers (the book of course). Just add armour, comms, jet pack and bombracks and BAM! Everyone here could be Johnny Rico.

Who knows, with more development and acceptance, it could become a vital part of the army‘s arsenal. After all, look at the first tanks used in the Great War... and aircraft. The development of those assets went through a lot of growing pains but now no military force is considered complete without them.

I don‘t really see how accepting technology is a problem. Like wongskc said, tanks went through some incredible changes and look at what we have today! The same applies to helicopters (DaVinci invented his model waaay back). Now they‘re flying tanks.
The ‘communicators‘ from Star Wars (3D blue-ish image) is now on the market. Seemed like a pretty crazy sci-fi idea when it first came out.

Whether or not the technology will lead to ‘super troopers‘, we should definitely explore the different uses. Body armour that reacts to neuron impulses will at the very least improve the endurance of ground troops. Every little bit helps, right?

Originally posted by wongskc:
[qb] Looks like the beginning steps towards the power suits in Starship Troopers (the book of course). Just add armour, comms, jet pack and bombracks and BAM! Everyone here could be Johnny Rico.

Who knows, with more development and acceptance, it could become a vital part of the army‘s arsenal. After all, look at the first tanks used in the Great War... and aircraft. The development of those assets went through a lot of growing pains but now no military force is considered complete without them. [/qb]
I totally agree with you man, I was discussing the exact same thing with a friend a few days ago concerning the new technology being introduced, including interactive viewscreens, and communication devices, as well as the new protective armour being developed.

Back