• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ronnie Spector, lead singer of the Ronettes dies at 78

FJAG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Ronnie Spector, former wife of Phil Spector and lead singer of the Ronettes died today.

Ronnie Spector, frontwoman of The Ronettes who sang Be My Baby, dies aged 78: Escaped marriage to Phil Spector after he showed her gold coffin in basement and promised he would put her in it if she ever left him​

• Ronnie Spector of The Ronettes has died at the age of 78 after a brief cancer battle
  • The New York-born singer is famed for 1960s hits Be My Baby and Walking in the Rain
  • She was married for six years to Phil Spector, the disgraced music producer who died in January 2021 while in prison for the 2003 murder of Lana Clarkson
  • Her family paid tribute to the 'twinkle in her eye, spunky attitude, wicked sense of humor and smile on her face'

The Wall of Sound at its best.

My generation is dying out. :cry:

🍻

Last edited:
Ronnie Spector, former wife of Phil Spector and lead singer of the Ronettes died today.

Be My Baby

Walking In The Rain

I Can Hear The Music

Baby I Love You

Da Do Ron Ron (As part of the Legendary Ladies of Rock and Roll)

The Wall of Sound at its best.

My generation is dying out. :cry:

🍻

Phil had his quirks, ( he proved there was a fine line between insanity and genius, I think he crossed that line ) but I think he put out the best Christmas album ever. It featured Ronnie and the Ronettes. My mother still plays it every Christmas.

Released on of all dates, 22 November 1963. An interesting time in music, after the army got Elvis and before the Beatles.

Bonus: Phil even gives a creepy little Christmas speech at the end!

I was never a 60's music guy, but her rerecording of those few lines for Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight" is one of my favorite singles of all time.

There was a Ronnie in Spanish Harlem...

THE UNTOLD TRUTH OF THE RONETTES

In an interview with NPR, Ronnie Spector (then Bennett) talked about her extended family's interest in music and growing up in Spanish Harlem. "I had so many first cousins, and I remember being on the rooftop, rehearsing, and trying to get our routines together," Spector said. "I grew up in Spanish Harlem, which was terrific because it was, like, every race, every color, every language."

During her youth, Ronnie Bennett remembered enjoying the music that was played in her home, particularly Sam Cooke. Coming from a big family, many family members were either involved or trying to break into the music business. At the insistence of their mother and grandmother, the three girls began to take music more seriously and learned to sing together as a unit. Eventually, the ladies began to compete in local competitions and became well-known in their neighborhood even before graduating high school.

Read More: The Untold Truth Of The Ronettes

Back