• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rucking with a heavy load and the new rucksack

Grimaldus,

A major issue is how you pack your rucksack.  You want everything the be distributed as evenly as possible with heavy items closer to the body.

Go to the link below for the Clothe the Soldier Rucksack user guide. Pages 29 on highlight what I'm speaking of.

http://canadianmilitaryandefence.blogspot.com/2010/10/clothe-soldier-rucksack.html 

I pulled out those two bars you had to bend to conform to your back.......what a difference.

Chilme said:
Grimaldus,

A major issue is how you pack your rucksack.  You want everything the be distributed as evenly as possible with heavy items closer to the body.

Go to the link below for the Clothe the Soldier Rucksack user guide. Pages 29 on highlight what I'm speaking of.

http://canadianmilitaryandefence.blogspot.com/2010/10/clothe-soldier-rucksack.html

slight topic derailment, but verging on Necro posting there.

As for the new ruck, I haven't had much experience with it myself, but generally speaking with all heavy loads, the more you can transfer to the waist belt the better I find.

Cheers

I dare say I have had extensive experience with the "New" Ruck Sack, at least 2 BFT's, 1 Nijmegan and 2 Iron Man competitions under my belt with this ruck and I can say whole heartedly that I love it.  To complete these events you must master the challenges of blisters, chaffe and mental endurance.  I'll leave the mental endurance to your imagination but I will share two essential tips that have enabled me to be successful in each event.

Blisters - Don't get them.  No really, just don't.  When I bought my boots I was wearing the issue black and green sock.  To switch to something else means my boots are too big, so I stick with the issue socks.  The secret- Elastoplast wrap, free at the MIR.  You can wrap your whole foot up to the ankle (seems a little extreme to me but guys on Nijmegan loved it), or what I do, just wrap the areas of your foot where you normally get blisters.  Problem solved.

Chaffe - Again, just don't.  Dry fit shirt under your normal dress along with long under armour underwear and you slip slideing away with no issues.  Some guys swear by body glide, vaseline or whatever goop suits there fancy.  I have found the dry fit shirt and underwear keep things chaffe free.

Wrap your feet, put on your dry fit and you're good to go.  As for the new ruck, sinch up the straps along the sides so things can't move, tighten up your shoulders and chest while leaving comfortable room to breathe and then crank the waist belt as tight as you can get it and you'll be ready for the best RUck RUn of your life.  Wisdom from the RSM on my SQ  in Meaford '07 about the Zebra gloves rings true with the new RUck, "this is the best kit the military will issue you.  Take care of it and it will take care of you"

Back