• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

Lumber said:
And I would take 2 weeks in the field in the winter over being sea-sicking but still having to work 18 hrs a day... potato/patatoe.

Everything else you said; yes, I concede I was being overly generalistic and hyperbolic... still grinds my gears that soldiers get weeks or a whole month of work to compete in sports tournaments...

You do realize that military sports are considered being on duty right ?  That's not truly time off.

If you get sea sick perhaps the RCN isn't for you ?

Halifax Tar said:
You do realize that military sports are considered being on duty right ?  That's not truly time off.

If you get sea sick perhaps the RCN isn't for you ?

Just because it's approved by the Brigade Cdr doesn't make feel any less fair that the rest of the company has to grind it out in the field for the ex, while you and the rest of the hockey team get to play hockey and drink beer.

Last time I started feeling queasy to the point I thought I might throw up, we'd already lost half the Ops Room to sea sickness, so I think I'm doing pretty good where I am. That being said, I have been in seas so rough that I was dry-heaving for the entire watch.

I have never been more miserable in my life (and that's not hyperbole) than when trying to maintain composure, drive, navigate, do math, and make reports, all the while getting hit with wave after wave of nausea.

Funny thing is, the next day when the seas were calm, I couldn't help but say to myself "Geeze, what was I complaining about yesterday"?

There is nothing more miserable than being sea sick.  I experienced once and suffered for a day and a half.  Not fun.

There was no need to explain, Lumber. I've always said that any seaman that claims that he/she has never been sea sick is a seaman that has never sailed ... and you don't even need to look at the colour of their SSI to figure it out  ;D.

Besides, what's wrong with getting sick? it's not like we get sick because we want to.

Myself, I am pretty weak-stomached, so I spent most of my time at sea on Gravols. Didn't stop me from enjoying my sea time and naval career.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
There was no need to explain, Lumber. I've always said that any seaman that claims that he/she has never been sea sick is a seaman that has never sailed ... and you don't even need to look at the colour of their SSI to figure it out  ;D.

Besides, what's wrong with getting sick? it's not like we get sick because we want to.

Myself, I am pretty weak-stomached, so I spent most of my time at sea on Gravols. Didn't stop me from enjoying my sea time and naval career.

Gee, I feel bad now. Never been sea sick. Had a queasy stomach for a bit when I first sailed in Preserver. But once I got used to the different roll I was fine.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

On the 2 sails I was on, I lived on Bonine.  It threw me off because I've been on over 20 cruises and have never gotten seasick, not realizing at the time that the way a cruise ship moves through water with stabilizers is vastly different than how a destroyer moves through water. On my first sail when I was on watch, I threw up on the OoW. She was nice though and brought me gatorade powder and some crackers.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

I was lucky enough to never be sea sick, tired and worn out if it was too rough to sleep, but never sick. I have sailed on everything from carriers to MCDVs (not boats though) and the first day was usually the worst(spaghetti for dinner)....hangovers might have played a role...lol

Lumber said:
And I would take 2 weeks in the field in the winter over being sea-sicking but still having to work 18 hrs a day... potato/patatoe.

Everything else you said; yes, I concede I was being overly generalistic and hyperbolic... still grinds my gears that soldiers get weeks or a whole month of work to compete in sports tournaments...

There was a retired CP02 (initials HP) who worked at Shannon Park arena 8-9 years ago who was a sailor that got posted to Germany with the tankers to play hockey... :nod:

Lumber said:
From another perspective, we also take our time at sea much more seriously than the Army does. Let me put it this way: has anyone in the Navy ever seen members of the ship's company landed during a major training exercise so that they could practice and compete in a regional military Hockey tournament? The Army has...

Don't go too far down that rabbit hole, because yes, the Navy has done that.  They've also been known to fly whole ships' sports teams back from trips in order to compete.  I think it's fair to say that this doesn't happen any more, but it used to...

PuckChaser said:
No, an appropriate comparison is if I got a device for spending X days in the field. Operational deployments are awarded medals the same across all elements and sufficiently rare as to warrant a medal. Do you not get SSI time for heading to RIMPAC? I don't get bling for going to MAPLE RESOLVE.

There's a key difference between MAPLE RESOLVE and RIMPAC.  Yes, they are both exercises, but MAPLE RESOLVE takes place in a much more controlled environment.  If things get too dangerous, things can be shut down pretty quickly.  We can't control the sea.  When a storm comes up, we have to ride it out.  There's no seeking shelter.  You can't park the vehicles and wait. 

Everybody is emphasizing the time away from home aspect, but missing the actual hardship, life at sea, which has an inherent danger that doesn't change whether you're sailing into a combat zone or between ports on the cocktail circuit.  The sea is a merciless, unrepentant and indiscriminate mistress.  There is a reason that "the dangers of the sea" comes before "the violence of the enemy" in the Naval Prayer.

jollyjacktar said:
You could start by making it optional dress for those of us who'd rather not instead of mandatory.  Those who wish to wear it, please continue to do so with my respect.  But I'd be happier opting out, given the choice.

I'm not aware of any regulation that says you have to wear any medal, hazardous skill/flying badge or other award/badge you don't want to.  There are standards as to how to wear them, but no requirement to actually wear them.  The only badges that are required to be worn are rank and trade badges.

On another note, are folks aware that the original proposal for the SSI was for it to have been a medal?

Pusser said:
There's a key difference between MAPLE RESOLVE and RIMPAC.  Yes, they are both exercises, but MAPLE RESOLVE takes place in a much more controlled environment.  If things get too dangerous, things can be shut down pretty quickly.  We can't control the sea.  When a storm comes up, we have to ride it out.  There's no seeking shelter.  You can't park the vehicles and wait. 

Everybody is emphasizing the time away from home aspect, but missing the actual hardship, life at sea, which has an inherent danger that doesn't change whether you're sailing into a combat zone or between ports on the cocktail circuit.  The sea is a merciless, unrepentant and indiscriminate mistress.  There is a reason that "the dangers of the sea" comes before "the violence of the enemy" in the Naval Prayer.

I have been a few ships now that have altered their operations and tasks for weather.  For example its rough out so we run to Norfolk Va. to seek shelter.  Weather plays a big role in RCN trg and can derail the best laid intentions. 

I have also done Winter Warfare in the field and we most certainly didn't RTU lines because the weather became a trg hindrance. 

The field and sea have their equal number of challenges and demands.  That's why you get SDA and LDA.  IMHO the RCN implementing the SSI was/is just a feel good device devised bye people who felt when they put on their DEUs it wasn't a true reflection of their contributions.  This is fully self inflicted.

Pusser said:
On another note, are folks aware that the original proposal for the SSI was for it to have been a medal?

I know that would of spun up quite a few people on this site.

The fact that LDA and SDA became and remained linked tells me the hardships and discomfort attributed to one in no way out weighs the other.

Chief, I feel for ya and in no way was my previous post meant to be personal.  This is all just my opinion, which is like an a__hole, everyone has one.

Pusser said:
I'm not aware of any regulation that says you have to wear any medal, hazardous skill/flying badge or other award/badge you don't want to.  There are standards as to how to wear them, but no requirement to actually wear them.  The only badges that are required to be worn are rank and trade badges.

I will have to look into this further.  If it is the case, I shall be ditching it.  Thank you.

Halifax Tar said:
The fact that LDA and SDA became and remained linked tells me the hardships and discomfort attributed to one in no way out weighs the other.

Chief, I feel for ya and in no way was my previous post meant to be personal.  This is all just my opinion, which is like an a__hole, everyone has one.

No worries I respect your opinion as I do with any RCN sailor I just don't get the bitter nature of the other non RCN personnel who feel they must chime in on any changes to our dress or the way we do business. I mean sure its cool to have an opinion on this as a CF member but some seem to go out of their way when it really has nothing to do with them whatsoever.

Chief Stoker said:
No worries I respect your opinion as I do with any RCN sailor I just don't get the bitter nature of the other non RCN personnel who feel they must chime in on any changes to our dress or the way we do business. I mean sure its cool to have an opinion on this as a CF member but some seem to go out of their way when it really has nothing to do with them whatsoever.

That is a problem on this forum, members straying our of their lane.  I am sure I could found guilty of this as well.

jollyjacktar said:
I will have to look into this further.  If it is the case, I shall be ditching it.  Thank you.

I have inquired and have an answer, Pusser.  Curses foiled again.

1. DISTINGUISHING INSIGNIA: a. Sea Service Insignia: The Sea Service Insignia is awarded to CAF personnel for recognition of time at sea. The insignia is metal for service dress shirts, high collar whites, mess dress and naval service dress and embroidered on melton cloth for army and airforce service dress jackets. There are four levels of insignia, gun metal, bronze, silver, and gold. The level of insignia that is presented is dependant on the amount of time spent at sea, as determined by RCN. The insignia is illustrated in fig 3-6-3, and eligible personnel shall wear the insignia as detailed at Annex F.

NavalMoose said:
That's one slightly bitter storesman, but that's just my opinion :)

Bitter ?  No I wouldn't say so.  Opinionated ?  Guilty as charged ;)

Back