• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Section Attacks

• Thread starter Thread starter Psuedo_Enigma
  • Start date Start date
P

Psuedo_Enigma

I was wondering if it is possible to obtain more information on the concepts and procedures entailed in the infantry section attack.  I did my first section attack last week on my SQ course and more are on the way, but I found it to be confusing since it was taught in the field and not in a classroom environment.  I would like to know how to do them inside and out and be familiar with all the commands (ie Section Section Section, Group Group Group).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  P.S is it possible to obtain the SOP's for this kind or stuff?

Section attacks are not learned in the classroom,nor should they be.If you don't understand it  one of 2 things has happened.Either the instructor hasn't done their job or you weren't asking questions and paying attention.Ask you instructor.

Once you do more you'll get better, trust me. I was lost the first time I did one, and now i'm not too shabby. Just wait for platoon attacks. wee.

Also, STAY IN YOUR FIRELANE. That's the best advice I can give you. If you don't get it now, you will later, trust me.

it takes years to become good and you will never become an expert as the situation always changes, even  Infantry who have done this for years are always learning or forgetting new stuff all the time. as for learnig only in the field well lets just say if it is explained to you in a classroom before you go out then it is easier to understand. the field is good to practice and learn but the classroom is good to learn. its nice to see diagrams  of the section in each formation, their is even a few good videos of this out their. just remember if you aint moving your a still target, if you anit shooting you are a dead target keep your head down, your eyes up and your ears open. good luck and dont sweat it, it will come

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure with further practice It'll make more sense.

Cone of death, avoid it and always have somebody shooting when others are moving. A section attack. You will be lost the first few times you do it , kind of like couch rugby, but with practice you will get better.    :salute:

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but when I started in 92 everyone in LFCA was issued a book called the warrior which had excellent diagrams and guidlines for use.  I haven't seen anyone walking around with one in ages so it probably went south with the Warrior training and evaluation program (anyone else still ahve their pins?).  If you can find a copy of the book it is invaluable in the field on training or as a quick refresher prior to training.  Also helps the Snr NCM's.Jr Off. illustrate points for new troops going through it.

You may find something on the Army Electronic Library as well, lots of good basic references there.

This may sound silly and simplistic, however it helped when I was a young soldier learning Section attacks, fire control orders, etc.   Many years ago (85-86???) a crusty British Sgt working with us (with Falklands experience) suggested that we carry with us a sections worth of small toy soldiers.   They can be used to help you visualize whats SHOULD happen at various stages of the section attack (lots of trg diagrams out there), as you practice give your orders, etc in your living room, classroom, etc.   They can also be used to demonstration actions on the objective, march order, etc during your orders to your troops.   These will NEVER replace actually doing them in the field, but field time is not what it used to be, so any trg tool that keeps you "up on your drills" can't hurt.
Just my 2 cents worth!!!

WO :cdn:

I would have to say the only way to get good at it is experience.   Communication and converging is almost always a problem.   Each attack is different, with movement being dictated by the ground.   Fluid and instinctive battle drills are essential.  
Its a good idea to always treat the weapon as if it was live fire.  Doesnt matter if its dry practice, or blanks.  Take aimed shots.  Keep the weapon controlled and pointed downrange when moving.  Make proper battle drills a force of habit and you'll have no problems going live.

Back