• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shoulder/chest holster for issue Browning

RocketRichard

Donor
Reaction score
Buddy just retired and gave me his holster for issue Browning.Don’t like wearing the issue holster but can’t quite figure out how to get this shoulder holster put together. Anyone have experience with this? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In what context would you be carrying the pistol? Is it gonna be basically administrative so you aren’t stuck lugging a rifle around in camp? Or is there any actual prospect of you needing to use it?

Brihard said:
In what context would you be carrying the pistol? Is it gonna be basically administrative so you aren’t stuck lugging a rifle around in camp? Or is there any actual prospect of you needing to use it?
Good question. Admin, exercises and range. Not for use when deployed, would get leg holster for that purpose.

RomeoJuliet said:
Good question. Admin, exercises and range. Not for use when deployed, would get leg holster for that purpose.

.. and it just so happens that I have one for sale!  Price is negotiable since I can no longer edit the original post.

RomeoJuliet said:

For what it's worth, my thoughts are if you would deploy with a leg holster (hopefully something good like a Sarariland), then train with it on ranges and exercise. It's not just about the draw from the holster, but also how you find the holster wears and carries with your other kit. Personally I'm also not a huge fan of what a shoulder holster does to muzzle direction in case something goes wrong, but that's just me. I do carry a pistol with one in the chamber every day at work in a belt holster and am a part time firearms instructor with my outfit, so I'm big on 'train as you fight'. Not a fan of shoulder holsters at all.

RomeoJuliet said:
Good piggyback. If it’s still for sale if I deploy I will contact you.

Unless you're deploying next week, I hope not.

Brihard said:
For what it's worth, my thoughts are if you would deploy with a leg holster (hopefully something good like a Sarariland), then train with it on ranges and exercise. It's not just about the draw from the holster, but also how you find the holster wears and carries with your other kit.
Agreed 100%.  I deployed twice with this leg holster and trained with it extensively beforehand and used it on exercises until I retired.  My civilian agency issues Safariland thigh holsters on a case-by-case basis.

Brihard said:
Personally I'm also not a huge fan of what a shoulder holster does to muzzle direction in case something goes wrong, but that's just me.
  Agree, again.  My agency doesn't use them and I don't like them as they are generally too hard to re-holster safely one-handed under stress.

But that Blackhawk! I'm selling is in really good shape.  ;D

RomeoJuliet said:
Buddy just retired and gave me his holster for issue Browning.Don’t like wearing the issue holster but can’t quite figure out how to get this shoulder holster put together. Anyone have experience with this? TIA

What type of shoulder rig is it? There's different types of suspension. Is it concealable? Issue? Civie? Lots of different shoulder holsters fit a HP. I'll leave the 'why would you want to' and answer your question if you can say tell me what you have. Most are fairly similar with some small adjustments for type and carry.

Fishbone Jones said:
What type of shoulder rig is it? There's different types of suspension. Is it concealable? Issue? Civie? Lots of different shoulder holsters fit a HP. I'll leave the 'why would you want to' and answer your question if you can say tell me what you have. Most are fairly similar with some small adjustments for type and carry.
Hi. I believe it’s issue, OD. Looks like what my officers used in the 90’s. Will upload a photo when I get a chance. 

RomeoJuliet said:
Hi. I believe it’s issue, OD. Looks like what my officers used in the 90’s. Will upload a photo when I get a chance. 

62ae3050f01fa0a429d2bd11d8a247b4.jpg

Pretty simple rig. Look at these pictures. You should be able to put it on and make your adjustments from these.

Attachments

• sh4.jpg
    sh4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 156
  • sh1.jpg
    sh1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 158
  • sh2.jpg
    sh2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 168
  • sh3.jpg
    sh3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 161
Fishbone Jones said:
Pretty simple rig. Look at these pictures. You should be able to put it on and make your adjustments from these.
Perfect. Thanks eh. I had a few straps in the wrong spot and my googling want working out.

RomeoJuliet said:

Am I misremembering, or is that the same as what everyone (who had a BHP) was issued in Afghanistan?

Dimsum said:
Am I misremembering, or is that the same as what everyone (who had a BHP) was issued in Afghanistan?
Just may be.

Dimsum said:

I don't recall anyone in my Company having this holster in Afghanistan (A Coy, 2 PPCLI TF3-06).

dangerboy said:
I don't recall anyone in my Company having this holster in Afghanistan (A Coy, 2 PPCLI TF3-06).

Lots of base bound folks were wearing them throughout the Afghan era, flashing everyone with their barrels looking like the kind of people who don't understand muzzle awareness in the first place.

MJP said:
Lots of base bound folks were wearing them throughout the Afghan era, flashing everyone with their barrels looking like the kind of people who don't understand muzzle awareness in the first place.

That could be disconcerting.  However, when drawing from a shoulder holster you will inevitably sweep/laser someone/something in the process.  It's pretty much unavoidable.

Haggis said:
That could be disconcerting.  However, when drawing from a shoulder holster you will inevitably sweep/laser someone/something in the process.  It's pretty much unavoidable.

Which is kinda my point and one of many reasons they are not the go to rigs for pistols.

Haggis said:

Indeed. Which is part of what shoulder holsters in most contexts suck. They also offer little in the way of mechanical retention and basically present your pistol grip-first to anyone who may decide to confront and attack you. No thanks.

They are convenient for vehicle bound personnel, like crewmen. Not so much if you're driving a typewriter.

Back