• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

I found that out the hard way on my BWW. In the improvised shelter, while I was getting dressed for my shift watching the fire - because the guy before me decided to dump ALL of our goddamn firewood on at once, right before his shift ended - a giant ember landed on my arm after I put on the thermal top and melted right through.
One would think economies of scale would come into play, and the Army consider working with the RCAF for fleece...fire retardant and static dissipating. Yes it would cost more to procure, but then supply chain economies would be improved...assuming, of course, that Army was okay with the ‘looks the same’ pattern of the RCAF fleece, and not do something stupid like require a different pattern, so that only the rank slip-on was different. At least Armour and mech inf should be considered for FR fleece.

One would think economies of scale would come into play, and the Army consider working with the RCAF for fleece...fire retardant and static dissipating. Yes it would cost more to procure, but then supply chain economies would be improved...assuming, of course, that Army was okay with the ‘looks the same’ pattern of the RCAF fleece, and not do something stupid like require a different pattern, so that only the rank slip-on was different. At least Armour and mech inf should be considered for FR fleece.
I would think it they are ok having the same combat uniform, they would be ok with that. I always tell one of my friends in the air force to get his own uniform.

At least it looks better than what the Americans have to wear.
The American...Army? Navy? Marines? Air Force? Space Force? Coast Guard?

I would think it they are ok having the same combat uniform, they would be ok with that. I always tell one of my friends in the air force to get his own uniform.
Is the intent for the RCAF to switch to the new pattern as well once it's rolled out?

The American...Army? Navy? Marines? Air Force? Space Force? Coast Guard?

Is the intent for the RCAF to switch to the new pattern as well once it's rolled out?

They should just stay with plain OD green for the flight suit.

Like all 70s fashions, if you wait long enough....

And not all aircrew are RCAF folks.
c130 paratroopers GIF

I'm guessing the CAF CWWB wasn't included in this trial due to it being too dangerous for those doing the testing ;)

5 out of 6 winter boots fail slip test on ice, Marketplace finds​

Winter boots equipped with fibre-embedded soles may be the answer to fewer slips and falls on ice this winter, a CBC Marketplace investigation has found.

Marketplace looked at popular brands for sale in Canada — Merrell, Sorel, Kamik, Ugg, Timberland and WindRiver — to see how some of these companies' winter boots would fare on a wet, icy surface.

The investigation of the boots selected by Marketplace found that the WindRiver Backwoods Waterproof Hyper Dri 3 hiking boots, which include embedded fibres in the sole for extra traction, had the best grip on a wet, icy surface compared to the boots with outsoles made of different materials. WindRiver is a brand owned by Mark's (formerly Mark's Work Wearhouse).

Marketplace went to the KITE Research Institute in Toronto, which is part of the University Health Network's Rehabilitation Institute, where biomedical engineers conducted a footwear slip test assessing the Maximum Achievable Angle (MAA) for each pair of boots. An MMA is the highest degree of elevation at which a boot is able to be worn before slipping on the ice.

Marketplace chose boot models that were warm and good for walking, and based on recommendations from customer service staff from each company.

I'm guessing the CAF CWWB wasn't included in this trial due to it being too dangerous for those doing the testing ;)

5 out of 6 winter boots fail slip test on ice, Marketplace finds​

Winter boots equipped with fibre-embedded soles may be the answer to fewer slips and falls on ice this winter, a CBC Marketplace investigation has found.

Marketplace looked at popular brands for sale in Canada — Merrell, Sorel, Kamik, Ugg, Timberland and WindRiver — to see how some of these companies' winter boots would fare on a wet, icy surface.

The investigation of the boots selected by Marketplace found that the WindRiver Backwoods Waterproof Hyper Dri 3 hiking boots, which include embedded fibres in the sole for extra traction, had the best grip on a wet, icy surface compared to the boots with outsoles made of different materials. WindRiver is a brand owned by Mark's (formerly Mark's Work Wearhouse).

Marketplace went to the KITE Research Institute in Toronto, which is part of the University Health Network's Rehabilitation Institute, where biomedical engineers conducted a footwear slip test assessing the Maximum Achievable Angle (MAA) for each pair of boots. An MMA is the highest degree of elevation at which a boot is able to be worn before slipping on the ice.

Marketplace chose boot models that were warm and good for walking, and based on recommendations from customer service staff from each company.

I remember being issued them before the recall....

Slightly less glidy on ice than a pair of hockey skates....

What's wrong with MultiCam?

The pattern looks like puke and the cut and design of the uniforms are junk.

This video is mostly about the awful camouflage pattern of what multi-cam replaced, but it also explains the problems with the uniform itself, as they simply reprinted it in multi-cam (just like how when we switched to CADPAT, we simply started making the OD combats in CADPAT).

This video is mostly about the awful camouflage pattern of what multi-cam replaced, but it also explains the problems with the uniform itself, as they simply reprinted it in multi-cam (just like how when we switched to CADPAT, we simply started making the OD combats in CADPAT).
There are several different uniforms done in OCP (OCP is NOT Multicam, long story there but let's just try to accept hat for now).

The standard uniform is absolute junk, you ned to view that like a garrison dress - but there are ones designed to be worn with armor, and operational use - think the early Crye Precision gear.

The rant made me chuckle!

Back