• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sonar op enlistment bonus

AbdullahD

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys

The recruiting page is offering enrollment bonuses for sonar op, if they have certain tickets.

Just curious if anyone on here knows what tickets/degrees would allow for that? From reading the threads here, courses on oceanography of some such would be beneficial. Reading on here it seems like quite the solid trade, with options and challenges if one was so inclined.

Or would standard sailing/marine rescue courses get an enrollment bonus?

Abdullah

*wording changed to reflect Canadian practices*

Hard question for anyone to answer.  I can tell you what would likely happen if you were to apply though.  Your file would go thru what we call a PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) and your previous training, education and experience would be evaluated.

Here is the latest CANFORGEN:

CANFORGEN 069/18 CMP 033/18 051935Z APR 18
RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCES FOR UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATIONS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 088/17 CMP 045/17 041520Z MAY 17
B. CDS LETTER, RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCE, 08 MAR 18
C. CBI 205.525

1. THE LIST OF OCCUPATIONS ELIGIBLE FOR A RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCE AT REF A IS RESCINDED AND REPLACED BY THE FOLLOWING UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATIONS LIST WITH EFFECTIVE DATES IAW REF B:
A. MEDICAL 00196 EFF 20 JUN 16
B. ACISS 00362 EFF 20 JUN 16
C. COOK 00164 EFF 01 APR 17
D. DENTAL TECH 00335 EFF 01 APR 18
E. MAR TECH 00379 EFF 01 APR 18
F. NAV COMM 00299 EFF 01 APR 18
G. NCI OP 00114 EFF 01 APR 18
H. NES OP 00115 EFF 01 APR 18
I. SONAR OP 00324 EFF 01 APR 18

2. THE ALLOWANCE AMOUNTS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTITLEMENT ARE AS SET OUT AT REF C

Ref C is the CBI.

205.525 - Recruitment Allowance (RA)

A lot of info there, but as you can see even the CBI doesn't list the training/courses/experience for each understrength trade.  It would likely go to somewhere like the CFNOS (CF Naval Operations School) for PLAR, which would then be send back to your CFRC.

However, you can see the amounts you 'might' qualify for depending on the PLAR results, in Tables I and J of the CBI. 

I would suggest that Table J would be apply to a former qualified Sonar Op would was rejoining and would not need to do any, or very little, training to get back at the job in very quick order.  I believe you have no previous CF service so you'd have to do BMQ, etc.  I don't know your history, training or education.

The actual list of courses and training...that would reside with the PLAR authority only, most likely.

Hope that helps some...the real answer seems to be *talk to the CFRC*; I've no idea if they can do request a PLAR initially to see if your previous training/experience/education would result in a recruitment allowance. 

Thank you that does help a bit.

I just assumed I was missing something, thanks again.

Abdullah

Recruitment allowances usually (a large majority) go to PRes members who are trade qualified (Sonar Op to Sonar Op) CTing into the RegF. Its not like the US  Army system where you get a signing bonus for picking certain trades with having no relevant training.

PuckChaser said:
Recruitment allowances usually (a large majority) go to PRes members who are trade qualified (Sonar Op to Sonar Op) CTing into the RegF. Its not like the US  Army system where you get a signing bonus for picking certain trades with having no relevant training.

I guess I follow to many US military youtubers haha, thanks for clearing it up guys.

Back