• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Source, supporting documents and other documents needed for processing

Okanagan Guy said:
When did you apply? It may be a change resulting in the billion dollar cut this year. It's almost done though. Hopefully doesn't slow things down too much.

Originally applied Fall of 2011.

Perhaps. I'm just surprised I haven't come across any comments from others regarding having to upfront their costs for records from being abroad if it has indeed been a uniform change...Unless I just missed them...

BeyondTheNow said:
Originally applied Fall of 2011.

Perhaps. I'm just surprised I haven't come across any comments from others regarding having to upfront their costs for records from being abroad if it has indeed been a uniform change...Unless I just missed them...

All depends on whether or not a "pre-security" review is necessary.  Off the top of my head, I believe that if you have "lived" outside Canada for a period in excess of 180 days within the last 5 years or have an immediate relative living in a foreign country, then the Pre-Sec may be required.

You don't really have to pay for this on your own but here is a general comparison:

a.  you pay for and obtain a Criminal Records Check from the foreign country that you lived in and provide this to your CFRC, the Pre-Sec processing time might take 1-3 months (depending on the Country you lived in);  or

b.  you don't obtain the Criminal Records Check and allow DND/CF to do the screenings from scratch, the Pre-Sec processing time might be 6-8 months or much longer, again depending on the Country you lived in.....

So at the end of the day, do you have to do this on your own and pay for it, NO.  If you do, will you be reimbursed the expense, NO.  By doing it and at your own expense, will you derive any benefit from it......ABSOLUTELY!!!

Ah, thanks for the clarification DAA.

I definitely went the second route. I wasn't aware the other option even existed. 'Definitely good to know for others!

And if you happen to be out of the country now, or planning on doing it, obtain the Criminal Records check while you're still living there!  Much easier to do it while there than to trying to do it from Canada.

garb811 said:
And if you happen to be out of the country now, or planning on doing it, obtain the Criminal Records check while you're still living there!  Much easier to do it while there than to trying to do it from Canada.

:goodpost:  And if at all possible, try to obtain the results in "English".

BeyondTheNow said:
I definitely went the second route. I wasn't aware the other option even existed. 'Definitely good to know for others!

It was something that started 2-3 years ago.  As soon as they saw the benefit that it provided for the applicant, they started to recommend it.  One of the biggest problems was with ROTP/RMC Applicants who had lived in the US.  They would apply in Oct-Nov and then be identified as requiring a Pre-Sec.  By the time the results came back, selections for the year, in some cases, had already been done.

garb811 said:

All good points guys!

Another thing if you're out of country, keep records. One of the challenges in getting these checks done is the fact that I cannot prove residence. They accept a phone bill, bank statement... anything that shows your name and address... Something I never thought to keep 4 years ago. Of course there are ways around it but it just adds to the time and frustration... Communicating over an 8 hour difference and by email with a foreign govt is so much more difficult that speaking with your local police or bank. I'm getting the checks from England which is probably the easiest of any country. Their bureaucracy is frustrating though.

Just one more step. I guess the good aspect of the delays is that if I'm accepted I'll start BMQ in the spring... which means no winter BMQ for this guy!  :nod:

so i did my cfat in the the third week of october and it has been 2 full months since theyve contacted me for the physical exam, does anyone have a clue as to when the physical exam would be?

No one here can tell you. Try calling your recruiting centre, being cognizant that people may still be away on holidays (no one will be there today).

Back