• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Starting out...

deskjockey43

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,
Today I took my son down to our local CFRC to ask some questions about a couple of career options he is interested in. He is 18 and will finish his HS requirements in January. We could not even get in to ask questions of a recruiter because he does not have a driver's license or a passport.
So, though you may not require a driver's license for your career choice, it is still better to have one than not.
We are off to Service Ontario today to start an application for an Ontario Photo Card which is an acceptable substitute.

My own application journey will begin again this Thursday evening.

deskjockey43 said:
Hello all,
Today I took my son down to our local CFRC to ask some questions about a couple of career options he is interested in. He is 18 and will finish his HS requirements in January. We could not even get in to ask questions of a recruiter because he does not have a driver's license or a passport.
So, though you may not require a driver's license for your career choice, it is still better to have one than not.
We are off to Service Ontario today to start an application for an Ontario Photo Card which is an acceptable substitute.
My own application journey will begin again this Thursday evening.

Come again?  Are you saying that they refused to speak with him because he had no "photo ID"?      :facepalm:

deskjockey43 said:

I would say that is true for life in Canada, not just in the CAF. 

I really can't think of one trade where it would be equally beneficial to not have a driver's license, especially with all the moving around.

though I've never gone to a CFRC without a drivers license I thought they accepted health cards as government photo ID...

Dire Markhor said:
though I've never gone to a CFRC without a drivers license I thought they accepted health cards as government photo ID...

Photo Identification for PT/CFAT

Reply #45
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13651/post-1226313.html#msg1226313
3 pages.

From a Recruiter,

The OHIP Card is NOT an accepted form of Government Issued ID.

Extract from RHB Art 3.1.2 para 1.b.

Government issued photo identification (ie; Provincial Health Card, Provincial Drivers Licence, Passport)
NOTE - CFRC's in Ontario are prohibited from using the Ontario Health Card as a means of source documentation IAW the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIP).

Yes indeed DAA, they would not let us in to speak to a recruiter because he did not have photo id. After confirming that we had been on the forces.ca site, they still suggested we check out the site for information. It was a frustrating, wasted trip.
On a side note, my son will have the Ontario Photo Card in about 4 to 6 weeks.

Continuing my last post....
In the defense of the CFRC in Toronto, it may be because of the relatively recent attack on their personnel that they are demanding photo id to gain access to recruiters.
Frustrating and annoying, but understandable.

deskjockey43 said:
Continuing my last post....
In the defense of the CFRC in Toronto, it may be because of the relatively recent attack on their personnel that they are demanding photo id to gain access to recruiters.
Frustrating and annoying, but understandable.

There should have been no barriers in you being able to "interact" with an actual Recruiter at a Recruiting Detachment.  You were already inside a bulding occupied by several Federal Government Agencies but were denied access to information services normally available to the general public.

If you feel that you were disadvantaged you can submit a complaint. 

http://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/eng/lc-cj-logde-complaint-deposer-plainte.aspx
http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/en/ombudsman-questions-complaints-submit-complaint/index.page

Thank you DAA. I will give it some serious thought. I did take the day off work, mostly for that trip along with a couple other errands. It did however help to drive home to my son the importance of a driver's licence beyond the transportation aspect.  :nod: It will not deter him from going back once he has acceptable id, which he will need to write the CFAT.

Good Day All,

I wanted to provide clarification on the Health Card as photo ID. 

The Personal Health Information and Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) S.34(2) prohibits the copying of the health card number on the ID card with the exception of health care professionals. 
This is why the Canadian Armed Forces cannot use the card as photo identification for the application process, as we are required to take photocopies of all source documents that are used for enrolment, hence we would be in violation of PHIPA.

I have not seen anything in writing stating that a Health Card cannot be used as ID to enter a controlled area where they are requesting ID to gain entrance as this would not be in violation of PHIPA and the Health Card is a Government Issued Photo ID - but with that said the CO of that particular CFRC might have further restrictions.

Cheers,
Sgt Laen

Thank you Sgt Laen.  As I mentioned to DAA, this is just a minor bump and will not prevent my son from going back to the CFRC to ask his questions once he receives his acceptable id in the mail.

As for me, I am beginning my journey again, application going in tonight.

Back