• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stateboards

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Now that we are going to electronic stateboards, I am wondering if there are any Excel gurus out there who could maybe pull this off. On the Helo Stateboard there is columns for Helicopter launch and recover. I was wondering if it is possible for another column that would be placed in between the launch and recover time. This column will contain a countdown clock that will give you time until helo has to recover.
This would be for the ORO who has enough crap going on without having to do more mental math. They would only have to glance at the stateboard and see how much time is left till recovery.

I have tried to build a formula myself but I am far too Excel challenged to figure it out.

Would this be useful? Is it feasible? Am I full of it for even suggesting?

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

FSTO: I believe this would require a macro vice a formula.  Those can get complicated to build, but you could probably find one online.

The issue that this could give you though is the updating of the time.  With some formulas, you need to do a refresh to see the response or updated answer.  I would be hesitant to use a "built" item for the function you are suggesting and worrying about the reliability of it.  As a whole though, it sounds like a great idea.

The tracking/radar system that I have used for the last few years has built-in timers that you can count down or up on, and I know how helpful that can be when we have deadlines for specific events.  Maybe (eventually!), a whole program will be written for standardized use for you guys.

My :2c:

You're submitting this as an EC (Engineering Change)....right?  IAW MARCORD 4-30?  :nod:

FSTO said:
I was wondering if it is possible for another column that would be placed in between the launch and recover time. This column will contain a countdown clock that will give you time until helo has to recover.

I cannibalized the code from this site for something similar:
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40130
The formula's the easy part - but you'd have to hit F9 to refresh it every second. The link has a bit of code that makes it refresh itself every second.

PM me if you need any help implementing it.

Occam said:
You're submitting this as an EC (Engineering Change)....right?  IAW MARCORD 4-30?  :nod:

You are right it will have to go as an EC because I am sure the CSE world would lose his/her mind if some neanderthal MARS officer touched his code. :D

I'm at CFNOS (where all good ideas go to die ( ;)) on a certain course. So I will bring this up to the staff and see if they are interested.

Thanks everyone.

I had no idea we were going to electronic stateboards haha.  Didn't hear mention of this last time I was on the coast but I must just be out of the loop.  Are these planned only for the frigates at the moment or is it rolling out to all platforms?

I thought the title said 'Skateboards' and thought you Navy guys were looking for something else to occupy your time now that you can't tube behind the RHIBs ;) ;D

Snakedoc said:
I had no idea we were going to electronic stateboards haha.  Didn't hear mention of this last time I was on the coast but I must just be out of the loop.  Are these planned only for the frigates at the moment or is it rolling out to all platforms?

I'm pretty sure its only for the HCM ships.

recceguy said:
I thought the title said 'Skateboards' and thought you Navy guys were looking for something else to occupy your time now that you can't tube behind the RHIBs ;) ;D

You and I share the same form of dyslexia it seems  :nod:.

MM

You all are not alone.....those RHIBs must be some fun, what with guys getting into trouble just for towing a little bitty rubber thingy.....bet you can't fish either..... :)

FSTO said:
I'm pretty sure its only for the HCM ships.

I think (and I could be wrong) that MCDVs with the mors update have been playing around with this a bit.  It's certainly convenient, though due to a lack of screens, only 1-2 stateboards can be show on the larger display at a time.  Not the end of the world by any means, especially since they don't generally have a need to have as many different stateboards going as other ships might.

Back