• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

Agreed, although that doesn’t mean that DB is always better than DC. In the same way that a fixed-term mortgage isn’t always better/worse than a variable-rate mortgage. One has to run the numbers to see the input/output ratio when the time to collect comes.

Cost “of” the employee isn’t the same as cost “to” the employee. For DB, of course the employer is going to try and flip the ratio of employer-to-employee contributions, but the employer contributions are paid by someone else, the customer/market, not the employer. The only direct impact to the employee is the ratio of their contribution to that of the employer.
The main advantages of DC are that it's typically an asset that can be passed along, for people who care about such things, and that most are also essentially portable.

The customer/market pays the entire cost of the employee, unless the business is drawing some kind of subsidies or similar revenues from somewhere else. For the employer, there is only money in and money out, and every dime is fungible - the silos into which expenses are categorized are artificial.

Yup, the employer isn’t not passing on the employee costs to the market… ;)

So....does this mean that as a member of the Public Service, who's been paying union dues for several years, but has not received anything from the union in terms of information, membership cards, or anything like that, I can go in and cease the deductions from my pay because there isn't actually a need for me to be a part of the union?
Well maybe if you'd agree to work for what the salary was before there was a Union.:unsure:

Great. It also shouldn't depend on anything else related to a union. Is that also the case? Can Canadians freely compete for any federal job without being bound by the bargained contracts?
It would be entertaining to see a line of people out in the hall waiting to individually go in front of Treasury Board and argue their case for salary, benefits and pension.

I don't know if any exist now but back when I was still working and involved in the Association, there were, I think one or two members who refused to be part of the membership. Since they benefitted from the fruits of collective bargaining, they paid dues, but did not pay into the legal indemnification fund, which meant if they got in a jackpot, they were on their own beyond a member of the Executive showing up to hold their hand.

For a while there was also a movement of members who wanted to withdraw from the pension plan and take their accumulated contributions to self manage. Because it is legislation-based, the idea died. I was amused that someone would think that they could do better, over the long term, than a multi-billion dollar professionally managed defined benefit fund .

Since they benefitted from the fruits of collective bargaining, they paid dues, but did not pay into the legal indemnification fund, which meant if they got in a jackpot, they were on their own beyond a member of the Executive showing up to hold their hand.

That's scary. Our employer provided medical malpractice liability insurance.

Just for those that piss and dance on the war monument and present manifestos to overthrow the government.

So far I haven’t seen any of that. More at eleven.
Strange, I didn't see any of that presented as justification at the inquiry. But I guess building a strawman is easier that seeing inconvienent parallels.

Strange, I didn't see any of that presented as justification at the inquiry. But I guess building a strawman is easier that seeing inconvienent parallels.
It would be in keeping with the same types who are rolling out the “It was Harper’s fault for setting the conditions for Phoenix” explanation for why things are so bad right now…it’s starting on Twitter and should be at full-scale demonization level by the end of the week.

Just for those that piss and dance on the war monument and present manifestos to overthrow the government.

And once again you look at only a fraction of the truth.

During the trucker convoy protest, many vets were there cleaning and guarding the war memorial. Facts not fiction. Keep clutching straws.

Just like the "nazi flag bearer" who was most likely a counter protestor plant, was chased away by the trucker convoy protestors.

Face it. Trudeau tries to be selective about his integrity, which you can not.

I was amused that someone would think that they could do better, over the long term, than a multi-billion dollar professionally managed defined benefit fund .
It isn't necessary to perform better than the fund; it's only necessary to perform well enough to exceed the defined benefit. It's the same as with the CPP - the fund's performance is irrelevant; beneficiaries get paid according to a formula (which reports usually estimate as the equivalent of an investment returning 2% to 3% net of inflation/fees).

But the cause celebre was noise, not desecration and documents. The goalposts shouldn't change.

They are now completely closing down access to major military bases (CFB Kingston is the first I've seen confirmed). At what point do they realize they have to work with the rest of the Defense Team that wears uniforms, who are actually ordered to stay neutral in this entire situation?

They are now completely closing down access to major military bases (CFB Kingston is the first I've seen confirmed). At what point do they realize they have to work with the rest of the Defense Team that wears uniforms, who are actually ordered to stay neutral in this entire situation?

You really want to go to work that bad?

If they get a really nice serving of gravy this time, I'll bet you don't turn down the drippings that will then fall onto your potatoes.....and without losing a drop of your wages.

Your anger befuddles me....

You really want to go to work that bad?

If they get a really nice serving of gravy this time, I'll bet you don't turn down the drippings that will then fall onto your potatoes.....and without losing a drop of your wages.

Your anger befuddles me....
Theyre not getting 13%. TBS offered 9%, which is 1% less than we got. Even if they meet in the middle, getting dicked around by folks who are never around when I'm still at work past 4 is not worth 1%. I'll spend more on gas idling trying to get to work for the next few weeks.

Maybe this is wierd to you but I like my job, have operational outputs and value my time more than supporting a temper tantrum by folks who should be making 15% less than me.

I also find it laughable that PSAC spent so much money fighting to get the Liberals elected and now are reaping what they sowed.

It isn't necessary to perform better than the fund; it's only necessary to perform well enough to exceed the defined benefit. It's the same as with the CPP - the fund's performance is irrelevant; beneficiaries get paid according to a formula (which reports usually estimate as the equivalent of an investment returning 2% to 3% net of inflation/fees).
Perform well enough plus last long enough.

Back