• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest Paranoia

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
This will be a bit of a rant.

I was issued and used the new tac vest during work up training this summer and in bosnia. I think it‘s an amazing piece of kit. We, the reservsts, had hopes of keeping them after tour.
(we saw artillery recruits issued them in pet, ill come back to this)
Were now told we have to give them back (AND the crappy avenger bag we were "given and allowed to keep). Thats fine.
The vest comes with 2 extra pockets that you can mix and match on your vest. Were told, now, if were missing a pocket they will deduct $100 off our pay for each pocket (100 dollars for a velcro pocket, the whole vests costs $900). That kinda sucks because someone stole one of mine but c‘est la vie.

The latest rumor we‘ve heard is that they are so paranoid about us keeping the vests or "loosing them in transit" that they are making us return them IN bosnia. Most of the guys left their spare pockets at home. IF we have to turn the vests in here it will create an administrative nightmare of guys trying to get the dumb pockets sent over (Which wont happen because of how little time is left), having to pay 1 or 200 for the pockets until they return them to petawawa (and try to get the cash reinbursted?)or whatever.

Whyis this such a big deal? Why can‘t reserves who are returning from a tour keep the tac vests that they are suposed to get down the road anyways? Why would artillery recruits get these suckers when trained infantry soldiers have to turn them in? We heard they even wanted us to turn in our cadpad combat jackets until someone had the foresight to *hit can that.

I don‘t see the point in making work for ourselves but maybe im missing some point here.

miltary................................Common Sense

need I say more??????

What can you say, vote appropriately this year, hope for a difference. If not, keep your duct tape handy.

What do you mean by vote appropriately?

I turned in my flack vest oversea‘s in 2001. Some guys didn‘t have the shoulder or neck attachments with them and turned them in when we got home.

Also when we turned in our green jackets for the cadpat, those that cut their hoods out had to buy the jacket prior to turning it in.

Apparently we were lied to and the entire vest only costs $168. Someone high up wanted to scare us into making sure everything was returned. Like school on week-ends, no class.

I gotta Switch also, Most our unit does. Had them in the states, Just to show them off, Basically.

Stuck with webbing or the Old LBV, Hopefully we get them back some day. Alot of ppl heard they were keeping them, and bought small packs system for it, and now they have to return them. They‘re pissed. Oh well.

hey ghost .. why don‘t you just turn in all your pouches, we know your just trying to collect enough to open up a shop. heh. j/k

i have to agree though, i have also heard through the grapevine that the regular force personel in bosnia are being allowed to retain thier vests upon return to canada. Good ol‘ reserves.. they sure love us!

What grape vine? they are perm issue to us. Just like the Balaclava and neck garter we got here in Bosnia, as well. We keep them until we leave the military, or a newer piece of kit comes along.

I don‘t know why you guys have to tern in your vests. We reservists in Lfca should be getting them with in a month.

Originally posted by Armymedic:
[qb] What grape vine? they are perm issue to us. Just like the Balaclava and neck garter we got here in Bosnia, as well. We keep them until we leave the military, or a newer piece of kit comes along. [/qb]
Never heard ANY of this stuff about the reservists having to turn in their vests PRIOR to hopping on the plane to go home...and I work in a place where info like this is easy to find out!

I‘m going to do some sniffing.... ;)

Regards

Back