• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

taunts because you are your parent`s child

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPT06

Inactive
Reaction score
This is probably not in the right section, so please feel free to move it.

A few years ago, a member of my family enrolled in the army.  He went on his BMQ but never completed it.  He told me that he was constantly harassed by his superiors.  At that time my father was still in the military and they would say things like "your father isn`t here to protect you" and "your nothing without your father" etc ( Im skipping the more offensive remarks but you get my meaning).  Anyway, he told me that he wanted them to treat him as his own person and not as his father`s son.  But the remarks never stopped.  He said they always picked on him.  He did go up the chain of command to complain (don`t know how high), but they basically told him that if he really wanted to be in the army, he would suck it up.  After a few weeks of this, he basically decided that it wasn`t worth it, so he left.  He never told my father why.  Now it`s my turn to join and I will probably do my basics this summer.  I`m not as thin skinned as my brother and I think I`m ready should this also happen to me.  But my question is, have any of you ever experienced this or have witnessed it?  What do you think is the best course of action?  Ignore their taunts and act like it doesn`t matter?  Talking back at them wouldn`t exactly be an option...  Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Whoever did that to your brother should be curb-stomped by his (their?) peers.  In both Cornwallis and St.Jean, we were VERY careful to avoid the "apple does not fall far from the tree" comments.  Colonels sons, Corporals sons, it matters not.  A recruit is a recruit is a recruit.

Just where and when did this stuff happen?

Tom

I`m sorry you feel that way.  But no BS.  What I wrote about my brother`s experience was just so that you would understand why I would ask my questions.  I do not wish to offend anyone, it`s a legitimate question.  If you need validation, I would be willing to give more details to a mod via personal message if he or she agreed not to pursue this case.  As far as my brother is concerned it`s history and I certainly don`t want this to get to my father.  This happened around the year 2000.  I'm not sure of the location since I never asked him.

Thank you

Your brother is hardly the first to be treated differently due to who his dad was.

I went through Battle School with a guy who's father was an Air Force General, another Private's father is a Col., anothers' was a CSM in the same Bn, still anothers' is an RSM in the same Regiment.

ALL of the above have garnered some negative attention due to their father's position, but IMHO, it was/is hardly something to quit over. I have found that the trg system at the lower ranks is pretty fair, you don't really get dicked around until your leadership trg.

If your brother quit, there is probably alot more to it.

I'm not going to discount your story out of hand, but let me play devil's advocate. There's two sides to every story You've given what you trust as your brother's. I'm going to suggest, that possibly he was just not cut out for it, and instead of disappointing the family, and dad, he seized upon this as an excuse to pull pin. It's much easier than saying he quit because it wasn't what he expected or wanted, or could handle. Unless there was an investigation, which stands by your brother's contention, it's hearsay at best. The CF is very careful about this sort of thing, which is why new recruits are given their SHARP, and other rights training early on.

There's places and means to report abuse(s) in the system, and this forum isn't it. Anyone wishing to share, please take it to PM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back