• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TCCCS not compatible with US radios?!

Weekendsig said:
TCCCS is a subsystem of IRIS.

You got it backwards, actually.

PatrickO said:
At some point, i want to take a comms course (if there's one for officers, that is. I don't know if one is available for the infantry variety) because i like knowing how my kit works, and also how to work my kit properly. I think it might be a good idea to try to arrange a big comms training night sometime after Xmas and just get everyone basically familiar with the TCCCS system, with a big focus on diagnostics and troubleshooting.

PM sent.

Your right my bad. I got so used to calling it all TCCCS. The 522, 521, CPIC, VIC and its ancillarys are all IRIS. I had to look it up to be sure in my handy dandy IRIS over manual.

In anti-jam modes, I thought TCCCS wasn't compatible with anything else, even UK's Bowman, also made by Racal.  SINCGARS, JTRS and NATO's SATURN are all systems that TCCCS can't communicate with in anti-jam (freq agile) mode, correct?

G2G

Yes your right. When the TCCCS system is fully employed (as of 2003-4 OPCAT3), secured and independent of any other system (American British etc) it cannot talk with any other NATO system. It is a strictly canadian system. The obvious draw back is the lack of compatability with NATO countries. However the way the system is designed allows us to secure a net all the way down to the section level, where the commander in the field with the benefits of SAS, C2IS, IRIS has a real time view fo whats going on. According to Cold War doctrine Canada would stand up a full Army Gp (again not sure about that number) and direct it military from a JOC like NORAD where each nation would have its own means of linking their Nations communications systems together.

When TCCCS was contracted out, as my understanding is and I have no referenance material to back this up, we were still training to a Cold War doctrine.We CAN talk to other NATO countries on Secure nets. As in a British section, can directly talk to a canadian section in secure using each nations manpack equivlents.  You are just not as secure and you loose some capabilities which I dont think I can mention on this forum.

Back