• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Capt. Trevor Greene Thread

Armymedic said:
So lets AAR that article:

1. The notion af Afghan men not wishing to see Allah sooner, and martyring themsevles seems not to be correct any more,
2. When the children are being herded away from you as a soldier, put your guard up, and
3. If something. no matter how insignificant is different or seems out of place...it probably is for a reason. They made it that way.
Excellent points ARMYMEDIC!
Godspeed to a speedy recovery for Mr. Greene.
My condolences and thoughts to his family and friends.
And BRAVO ZULU to his platoon!

Although my ROEs differ to those of the CF,  I tell my guys......................................If in doubt..........SHOUT.....SHOOT (if necessary)
  shouting will heighten the teams perceptions of danger and impose a certain level of anxiety in potential aggressors...making them easier
  to ping.

Then I tell them my ROEs (and mine only) .......Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!

Keep your head up..your a$$ down and shoot straight
DFW2T

Afghanistan axe attack victim promoted to captain
CTV.ca News Staff

The Canadian soldier who is in serious condition after he was struck with an axe during a meeting with tribal elders in Afghanistan has been promoted to captain.

Lt. Trevor Greene was struck on the back of the neck Saturday during a sit-down shura meeting with tribal elders on Saturday. The Vancouver, B.C. reservist, journalist and published author was taken to Germany for treatment Sunday morning in serious condition.

"He was promoted to captain, which is a promotion he was entitled to anyway and he went on the mission before the promotion came through, so they gave it to him this morning before he got on that flight to Lanstuhl, Germany, the U.S. military hospital," said CTV's Lisa LaFlamme.

"He is in serious but stable condition," she told CTV Newsnet.

The "barbaric" attack has stunned Canadian forces at the Kandahar Airfield base, but hasn't affected their commitment to the task at hand, Laflamme said.

The shura meetings are an important part of the Canadian mission in Afghanistan. They provide the opportunity for military personnel to sit down with tribal leaders and discuss their concerns in an informal setting, in order to build trust.

But the meetings, as they have been conducted so far, leave the troops vulnerable because they typically remove their helmets and lay their guns down beside them in a gesture of goodwill.

The policy may now have to be revisited.

"This morning when we asked Col. Tom Putt (Canadian deputy commander in Afghanistan) will there be changes, he said the one thing he could say for sure is these shuras are a key element of the Canadian mission here. It is absolutely essential that they engage the locals and build that trust and help them rebuild their communities. It's critical," LaFlamme said.

"What they will be looking at however, is their procedure and how these are conducted and whether or not perhaps in the future they'll leave the helmet on or the gun closer, this kind of thing. But they are 100 per cent sure they will not stop the shuras."

Capt. Kevin Schamuhn, the platoon commander, described what took place during the attack.

"The guy lifted up the axe, and called out Allah Akbar, the jihad prayer, before they do suicides, and he swung the axe into Trevor's head," Schamuhn told CTV News on Saturday.

Canadian soldiers shot and killed the attacker, who was in his 20s.

Once the attack on Green happened, Schamuhn said: "There was a whole bunch of explosions and a pretty heavy volume of fire. It turns out we were under fire from the south of the river, which is on the adjacent bank."

Later, another insurgent attempted to throw a grenade at the troops but was unsuccessful.

After the firefight, Afghan and Canadian soldiers found all fighting-age men had deserted the village, and only women and children and the elderly were still present.

LaFlamme said the soldiers believed Greene had been killed by the attack until a medic inspected him and found that he still had vital signs.

Well deserved!!!!! ;D

reccecrewman said:
Well done to the soldier that shot the bastard
You mean the soldiers.

All,
I've recently learned it is now Capt Greene.  His promotion is effective some time in Feb, and the intent was to give it to him when he returned to KAF from this latest trip out.

The fact that all able bodied men in the village skipped out after the incident can probably be chalked up to survival instincts kicking into high gear (and their being certain that our troops would not take it out on the Women, children & the elders).
Such is the burden of "civilisation" that we all carry.

Best wishes to the good Captain

Keep your guard up!

More info on the attack......

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1141513810511&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Regards

Greene was promoted to Captain before he was put on the medevac flight to Germany.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060305/afghan_canada_bomb_060305/20060305?hub=TopStories

How can you help a country that is not willing to help themselves. Scorch the ground those b'tards walk on.

Okay not the appropriate comment I made at the time. Just pissed and ranting after hearing the news that our country lost another soldier

Proud Canadian said:
How can you help a country that is not willing to help themselves. Scorch the ground those b'tards walk on.
Wow. What assinine comments these are. Thankfully, the great majority of "Proud Canadians" and soldier's do not have the so-obviously misinformed viewpoint of yourself. Fact of the matter is, the great majority of the Afghani population does want peace and supports our efforts in their nation, which, I hope to hell, mis-informed clunkers like yourself keep out of as the presence of attitudes like yours in-theatre will do little to advance either our cause or Afghani progress.

Whiskey_Dan said:
That's absolutely F*cking sick!
My thoughts and prayers go out to Capt Greene and his family.
God Speed

Dan

It's nothing that hasn't been seen before, though, has it - you have a third world nation with people devoted to fighting for their way of life. They're not going to play fair.  We can call it "sick" all we want, and no doubt it is by our standards - but like so many underequipped, undercivilized, undereducated armies through history - I am sure there were Viet Cong troopers dumb enough to bring an axe to a gunfight -  demonizing the enemy will unfortunately not do anything to make the work any easier, or bad news any easier to bear.  Let's hope the enemy sees the light sooner rather than lighter; and if they don't, let's hope they come out in the open and we can do to them what the US did to the VC after Tet, and eradicate them - hopefully without drawing first world soldiers into the theatre.  Hopefully the good captain is up and writing again soon; will be interesting to read the story that comes out of his experiences there, given his literary background and his devotion to the people there (the news said he planned to stay there after his military service was up). 

All the best for his recovery. 

Sometimes I really think hard and wonder what Canada has become in this day and age.  Your average Canadian would just as well spit on this guy in the streets, but hundreds gather for a fallen police horse in Toronto...  ::)

Lost_Warrior said:
All the best for his recovery. 

Sometimes I really think hard and wonder what Canada has become in this day and age.  Your average Canadian would just as well spit on this guy in the streets, but hundreds gather for a fallen police horse in Toronto...  ::)

Thats a rather broad and encompassing statement.....your average Canadian would rather ask a lot of innane questions about our relevance. Only because they are un-informed about what we do.

Thats a rather broad and encompassing statement.

I agree.  It is a broad encompassing statement, and it is one based completely on my personal experience with civilians. 

Your average Canadian would just as well spit on this guy in the streets, but hundreds gather for a fallen police horse in Toronto... 

Were you in Toronto for Ainsworth Dyer's funeral?

I suggest you re-think your statement, as I am sure it is based on assumptions.

dileas

tess

I know that lately there has been more and more news time for the Canadian Army and people do care when a Canadian is killed or injured however in defence of lost warrior i feel that there is some truth to what he says. Do to misinformation whatever i know personally a lot of people who cared more about who won an olympic medal then what was going on in Afganistan...my own local news interviewed people on the street about Afganistan and most of them all said negative things and not one of them said that they support our troops or even seemed to give a dam about the casualties that occured. The military community is small and cares about there own, but from what i have seen in my own experiance once to venture out of the military community and enter certain urban areas you can see how little certain people care. I think that some of lost warrior assumptions are not far off base, its not the view of the average canadian i am sure but i dont think people show enough support and understanding for what is going on over there.....

Dyer's gathering was large, and made up with many civilians, and not once did I see anyone get spat on.

Again, I say rethink that opinion, as I am sure it is all based on assumption.  The general populace may not always agree with government policies in regards to the military, but I have seen a positive support of the everyday troop. 

No one would spit on a serving, injured, or a troop who has ended his duty.  His statement alludes to the fact that people would have more time to go to a memorial for a police horse than that of a soldier, and I am challenging that statement as I have seen otherwise.

I think we desrve to show Canadian civillians a bit more respect ourselves, as it is a two way street.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
I think we desrve to show Canadian civillians a bit more respect ourselves, as it is a two way street.

Couldn't agree more.  This whole "oh woe is me" attitude is embarrassing.  If anyone here feels they aren't getting enough attention on an individual basis, feel free to

a) move to where people appreciate you (most of the country, from what I can tell)
b) re-examine why you are in the military to begin with.
c) stop watching reruns of Ten-Thousand Day War on PBS.  You know, there were even units from returning from Vietnam that got brass bands and parades.  Not a lot of them, but the relatively small number of spitting incidents received a lot of attention in later years and caused much (deserved) bitterness among returning veterans.  Either way, it has nothing to do with Canada.

Tess, not to contradict you, but here in Vancouver I have had random civvies throw things at me, yell obscenities (baby killer, among others) and other mistreatment. This was just me walking or driving to reserves in uniform. No weapons, by myself, and minding my own business. I don't think all civvies are like that, but there are certainly some who like making our lives difficult, at least here on the left coast.

combat_medic said:
Tess, not to contradict you, but here in Vancouver I have had random civvies throw things at me, yell obscenities (baby killer, among others) and other mistreatment. This was just me walking or driving to reserves in uniform. No weapons, by myself, and minding my own business. I don't think all civvies are like that, but there are certainly some who like making our lives difficult, at least here on the left coast.

As so have I here in Toronto, but quantify it, and compare it  with the amount of positive Support and back slapping I have received, the negative incidents were negligible.

dileas

tess

Back