• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The lottery

T-N

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright here is the thing...
we're having a debate today about "what if i win the lottery as a CF member",
some say that you ll stay in like "nothing happen",
and the others says that you gettin "kick out"
because you won't have the same interest after all ( Ranks, deployment etc...)

So the questions are :

What if as a member of the Canadian Forces i win the lottery , i mean a lot of money with lot a zero ...

what could happen to me ?

What are the rules and polities in the CF about that ?

Could i be release ?

please we need answers thank you very much for your time !

No, you would not be released simply bacause you won a lottery.

As Michael said, there is no policy in the CF to kick you out for winning the Lottery or for being good at playing the Stock Market with your earnings.  There are Rules and Regulations, however, on how you conduct yourself.  If you become insubordinate, an Administrative Burden, or any other instance where you are in contravention of CF policies, then you may be RELEASED; but not just because you now have a large bank account.

Oh shoot!!  And here I was going to offer up my services, in my name of course, to relieve that onerous burden from the member......just until his time was up of course.......

[Shirley Jackson]

However, periodically all CF members are required to draw ballots.  Those who win, in turn, draw again; and so on until only a single member is left with a marked ballot.

That person is then stoned to death for good luck.

[/Shirley Jackson]

T-N said:
Alright here is the thing...
we're having a debate today about "what if i win the lottery as a CF member",
some say that you ll stay in like "nothing happen",
and the others says that you gettin "kick out"
because you won't have the same interest after all ( Ranks, deployment etc...)

So the questions are :

What if as a member of the Canadian Forces i win the lottery , i mean a lot of money with lot a zero ...

what could happen to me ?

What are the rules and polities in the CF about that ?

Could i be release ?

please we need answers thank you very much for your time !

A haphazard approach to written communication including poor grammar, misspelling and non-capitalization would likely cause more problems in your military career than suddenly having more money.

Another military urban legend continues.............. ::)

dapaterson said:
[Shirley Jackson]

However, periodically all CF members are required to draw ballots.  Those who win, in turn, draw again; and so on until only a single member is left with a marked ballot.

That person is then stoned to death for good luck.

[/Shirley Jackson]

:rofl:

About the only thing that might happen to a military member should they win the lottery is this:
The decision to go into harms way may be skewed towards sitting on a beach in a warm place having drinks brought to you by locals then hiking in the mountains with 75lbs of gear trying not to step on a land mine.

The decision is yours to stay in, or get out should you win the lottery.  The CF cannot discriminate against you becasue of your good fortune in winning the lottery.

SentryMAn said:
The decision is yours to stay in, or get out should you win the lottery.  The CF cannot discriminate against you becasue of your good fortune in winning the lottery.

No, it's not up to the individual.  They have a legally binding commitment to the CF.  The CF may choose to let them end their period of service early, but the CF may also insist that the individual serve out the time they have committed to serve.

"Right of release" applies to a small number of people.

An acquaintance of mine won ~$2.75 million back around 1991.  He was on his QL5 NWT course in Halifax.  I'm told that he wanted to stay on course, but was not allowed to.  He was out shortly thereafter.  I have no idea if that was related to the end of his terms of service, or for other reasons, but I would love to know.  He's been flying under the radar ever since...

probably in his own plane too!

I think this should go under Military Admin.  Unless, of course, the OP has actually won the lottery.

Then I'd suggest grammar, spelling and typing lessons.  ;)

I won the 6/49 last week, you don't see me rushing to release...

Mind you, it was $10.. but still...

I often thought about pulling pin if i got "please play again" on RUTRTW

When I was at Bagotville, many years ago, an Aero Engine tech at 433 ETAC won $1 million.
He wanted to stay in and did for about a month until he was called to the Base Commanders office.
Whatever happened in the conversation between the two the result was his release shortly thereafter.

There was a million dollar lottery winner at 8AMS about 8 years ago. I left there in 2010 and AFAIK he is still serving. Rumour had it he re-modelled his house and bought a few vehicles and apparently treated the store clerk to some sort of gift.

If I recall correctly there was a fella back in the Bn I used to belong to and his mother-in-law won big. Big enough that she gave them $500K. I think the only pressure he received from the chain of command was in regards to Regtimental fund contributions...  ;)

An interesting take on how the U.S. handles such things - highlights mine:
Seaman Don Burdette was one of thousands of sailors aboard the USS Nimitz in 2004. But he was the only one to win millions. And after Burdette hit the California lottery for a $6.5 million payday, it was only a matter of days before the Navy bid him bon voyage.

The Rumor Doctor came upon Burdette’s story after a reader downrange asked if it is possible to be discharged after winning a big jackpot. The Doctor scoffed at first, having shot down many ridiculous notions, but it turns out that all the services have some type of system in place that would allow the nouveau riche to slip off their boots and begin a new life.

Burdette had served more than two years of a four-year contract at the time. He asked his division chief and others what he should do. They suggested he take the money and sail away.

It took about a week-and-a-half to process his request for an honorable discharge, which ultimately had to be approved by his captain.

His departure was officially called a “reduction in force.”

“It’s kind of hard to do the rest of your time when you’ve got money on your mind,” Burdette said. Marines who win the lottery can request an early discharge due to “unique circumstances,” said Marine Corps spokeswoman Maj. Shawn Haney.

Discharges must be approved at the secretary level, but they can happen. And it just makes good sense, said Coast Guard spokesman Lt. Paul Rhynard, who believes it’s unreasonable to expect a Coast Guardsman who recently won the lottery to perform his duties the same as before.

The Coast Guard no longer has any leverage over him, Rhynard said. “He’s not worried about whether he loses his job or not,” Rhynard said
Stars & Stripes, 20 Jul 10

Back