• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

These are the smaller communities Canadians are moving to

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Carleton Place is #1, partially fuelled by DND/CAF members posted to Ottawa.

According to Statistics Canada, the communities with the highest population growth rates in the last year are:
  • Carleton Place, Ont. (3.8 per cent)
  • Cowansville, Que. (3.7 per cent)
  • Wasaga Beach, Ont. (3.5 per cent)
  • Woodstock, Ont. (3.1 per cent)
  • Lachute, Que. (2.9 per cent)
  • Collingwood, Ont. (2.9 per cent)
  • Kelowna, B.C. (2.6 per cent)
  • Squamish, B.C. (2.5 per cent)
  • Whitehorse, Yukon (2.4 per cent)
  • Arnprior, Ont. (2.3 per cent)
  • Oshawa, Ont. (2.3 per cent)
  • Centre Wellington, Ont. (2.2 per cent)
  • Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Que. (2.1 per cent)
  • Halifax, N.S. (2.1 per cent)
  • Summerside, P.E.I. (2 per cent)
  • Moncton, N.B (2 per cent)

Not while my mother is alive, but this Canadian would move to Arizona.

I was talking to someone a month ago who was gushing about wanting to move to Squamish.

I sent him this article. He didn't thank me ;)

Garibaldi Lake a ticking time bomb?​

Quest professor receives funding to research lava barrier

Squamish is sitting below a ticking time bomb – just ask Steve Quane from Quest University.

The school’s professor of geology received $12,000 from an American educational institution in July 2014 to map and assess the danger of Garibaldi Lake.

The lake was formed more than 10,000 years ago from the eruption of Clinker peak. The lava flow formed a barrier in the valley. Dr. Quane’s research will map the bottom of the lake, which is the floor of the old valley.

The provincial government deemed the area immediately below the lake to be unsafe for human habitation in 1981 due to its instability in the face of volcanic and tectonic activity or heavy rainfall.

Quane’s research confirms the widely held belief that the lake could wipe out Squamish; if its barrier ever breaks, it would be catastrophic.

“The lava barrier is an unstable dam for this big lake in the mountains above a town,” he said. “The potential energy at 1,400 metres elevation, of 1 trillion litres of water, is 200 times the energy released by the bomb on Hiroshima.”

It’s not known when or if the barrier will ever collapse.

“Geologically, the chances of this happening are almost certain,” he said. “But the probability of it happening in our lifetime is really low.”
Quane’s research will allow him to get a calculation of the volume of the lake and give him a chance to analyze the bedrock contained in the barrier.

According to Quest student Greyson Herdman, the hazards of the lake are well known by the District of Squamish (DOS) but there’s not a lot the district can do. Herdman has been hired by the DOS to write a new flood report and has been examining the various water hazards the district faces.

“If the barrier were to explode or fall apart in an earthquake, the wave that would be produced by all that water flowing out of Garibaldi Lake down into Squamish would be 120 metres high,” he estimates.

“That’s what the DOS recognizes and doesn’t even talk about because we can’t do anything about it.”

Quane said the barrier is crumbling over time and there is rock continuously falling off the barrier. The reason for the decay could be because water escapes through the bottom of the barrier.

“Rubble Creek is actually draining from below the dam so one thing you could argue is that it is undermining the lava flow,” he said. “And that’s bad for the dam.”

Quane said his research will allow him to quantify how much dam there is, where it is and where the weak points are.

Quane’s funding lasts until July 2015. He plans to do two types of research. The first method takes place during the winter and they will bore holes into the ice to take water samples. The samples allow them to determine how the water system works. The second method will be used in the spring, when Quane and his team will map the bottom of the lake using a BC Parks boat, sonar and GPS.

He hopes to have more information on the stability of the barrier after his research, and he looks forward to understanding what he describes as the system of a stunningly beautiful geological spectacle.

Halifax is 500K people... Not a metropolis but not a small community...

It dwarfs the other city's on that list

I suspect Arnprior is getting a nice boost from CAF members as well. It's not that far west on the 417 when you're working at Carling, or from home.

With a metro population more than 200,000 people, I wouldn’t call Kelowna a “smaller community” either.

Living in a small community NW of Ottawa ( still technically the city), I've seen both CP and Arnprior expand exponentially. Sadly the housing market and prices are reflecting this.

Now for those wanting to go a little further in the NCR, my bet is Smiths Falls. If it can just get past it's image problem.

No one coming to the prairies? Good. Keeps overpriced housing to a minimum.

Kelowna, West Kelowna? The avg price of a single family home is $1 Million plus. Avg price of renting a 2 bedroom apt is $2000 + per month.
Traffic is horrible mainly due to Hwy 97 running through both locations, uncoordinated traffic lights (Provincial responsibility [they hired Winnipeg's traffic engineer] and one bridge across the lake that was too small in planning. A second crossing is a decade away. Gas is expensive all the time.

I moved from Wpg, after retirement and don't regret it. Beautiful weather, scenery . My house assessment went up 32% this year!

From July through September 2021, the report indicates the median price of a single-family home in Kelowna was $1,025,000. A year earlier, it was $838,000 amounting to a rise of 22.3 per cent year over year. On the same track, the median price for a condo in Kelowna from July to September of 2020 was $362,000 and a year later it was $452,000, which is a rise of 24 per cent.

In September 2021, the median rent on a typical two-bedroom apartment in Kelowna was a record-high $2,180, up 5% from August and a whopping 25% loftier than it was a year ago. Rent for a typical one-bedroom is also at an all-time high of $1,610, up 1% from August and 7% more than September 2020.

My house was just assessed at 1.6mil. Bought it in 2000 for $332,000, certainly a good return of investment except my kids will never be able to afford a house, we expect to get raped on taxes to pay for more bike lane silliness and you can't find trades to work because none of them can afford to live in the North Shore and fewer are willing to commute through the growing traffic.

My house was just assessed at 1.6mil. Bought it in 2000 for $332,000, certainly a good return of investment except my kids will never be able to afford a house, we expect to get raped on taxes to pay for more bike lane silliness and you can't find trades to work because none of them can afford to live in the North Shore and fewer are willing to commute through the growing traffic.
Get ready for the “Wah, it’s so unfair for those millionaire home-owners! Tax them in their million+ homes” tax…

Kelowna, West Kelowna? The avg price of a single family home is $1 Million plus. Avg price of renting a 2 bedroom apt is $2000 + per month.
Traffic is horrible mainly due to Hwy 97 running through both locations, uncoordinated traffic lights (Provincial responsibility [they hired Winnipeg's traffic engineer] and one bridge across the lake that was too small in planning. A second crossing is a decade away. Gas is expensive all the time.

I moved from Wpg, after retirement and don't regret it. Beautiful weather, scenery . My house assessment went up 32% this year!

From July through September 2021, the report indicates the median price of a single-family home in Kelowna was $1,025,000. A year earlier, it was $838,000 amounting to a rise of 22.3 per cent year over year. On the same track, the median price for a condo in Kelowna from July to September of 2020 was $362,000 and a year later it was $452,000, which is a rise of 24 per cent.

In September 2021, the median rent on a typical two-bedroom apartment in Kelowna was a record-high $2,180, up 5% from August and a whopping 25% loftier than it was a year ago. Rent for a typical one-bedroom is also at an all-time high of $1,610, up 1% from August and 7% more than September 2020.

That's why people from Kelowna are moving to Coldstream now ;)

Trudeau denies repeatly, no taxes on principal residences. At lease three studies so far commissioned by the government. House over $1million could be taxed .5 to 1 % annually.
My house is now $850,000: next year @ 30% increase : $1.15 million.

Trudeau will spend all this revenue in a week.

Get ready for the “Wah, it’s so unfair for those millionaire home-owners! Tax them in their million+ homes” tax…
Problem is that your not a real "millionaire" unless you move to Ocean Falls. The price of housing is going up everywhere, diluting the value of our investment. Right now if both of us kick the bucket and my daughters got 50% of the house value each, they could still not afford a house with a $700,000 down payment , as they need a $500,000+ mortgage and no way they ever get that or be able to pay it if they did.

Back