• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This has been dogpiled on but what are my chances for getting into the ROTP?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently registered my account for this inquiry because emailing directly to the recruiting office would only provide me with a singular answer, and I would like to hear multiple inputs from this community. For context, the three officer trades that I applied for were signals, naval warfare, and aerospace engineering. I am a First-year student at Sheridan College in a Computer Science Honors Bachelor Program with a Specialization in Cloud Computing with Co-op (It may sound impressive on paper, but in reality, this school only requires a minimum grade of 65-70% to get in).

Application progress
So far in my application, I have completed my CFAT and TSD, and they've informed me that my results were good but not exceptionally so (somewhere between average and above average, whatever that means). I've also finished my screening forms and applied to RMC for its science degree program in computer science. Now, I'm waiting for them to contact me for the medical exam/interview stage of my application.
High school transcript & concerns:What's currently concerning me are my high school grade 12 marks. My grade 11 marks are generally okay, with an average of 83%, all my courses were above 75%, except for chemistry, which is right on the mark. This my my grade 12 highschool transcript:
  • 92% for Computer Science (ICS4U)
  • 85% for Philosophy (HZT4U)
  • 86% for Computing Engineering Technology (TEJ4M)
  • 80% for Physics (SPH4U)
  • 77% for Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
  • 72% for English (ENG4U)
  • 56% for Chemistry (SCH4U)
Including that poor chemistry mark, my average is roughly 78%, but if you exclude that course, my average for my top 6 courses is 82%. I asked about my marks on the Reddit forum, specifically regarding my English and chemistry, and they said I wouldn't be able to get into RMC without meeting those minimum requirements. However, when I asked a recruiter directly over the phone, he mentioned that if he approves my application for RMC, I could still have a chance at getting in.

Sports Credentials
I did receive an MVP plaque for tennis in my school, but to be honest, I got it because there were only 3 members who passed the tryouts, and they weren't particularly good at the sport. I'm not exceptionally skilled either, considering our school didn't even make it past the first tournament; we had zero wins. So, I'm unsure if I should show this "achievement" to the recruiters during the interview.

Volunteering & Work experience

Before high school, I volunteered at a church summer camp as a camp counselor for the entire month, which helped fulfill my high school volunteering requirement. By the end of it, I had accumulated 226 hours. I may have used more impressive language in this part of the RMC application, describing my responsibilities as if I displayed leadership while supervising children and ensuring they had the best summer experience. I wasn't dishonest, but it felt somewhat pretentious to describe my role in that manner. In grade 11, I participated in a co-op course and worked at "Code Ninjas," an organization that tutors kids in programming concepts, also serving as a summer camp. I worked in both areas of the business; during my co-op term, I worked in the summer camp for free, but in my grade 12 school year, I applied and secured an actual part-time job there, working in the tutoring business as well. However, it might not be impressive to say that I worked there since, at the end of the day, it seemed like another babysitting institution where parents left their kids to play computer games for a pretty penny.

Final thoughts & Conclusion

If I were to present these aspects in a favorable light (which I did for my RMC application), I'm not even sure if they will accept my application, given my top concerns regarding the application were school grades and sports. Additionally, with regard to my volunteering and work experience, I'm uncertain if what my recruiter says about my eligibility is true. This is where I'd like to hear from you guys about your experiences, what you believe were the most important factors contributing to your success in gaining admission to ROTP, and possibly any advice. Thanks.

Note: If I am accepted for the ROTP program, I would certainly drop my post secondary study because I'm not that far in the program being a 1st year and all, but if not would they accept my bachelors degree from sheridan college?

So here's what Ive learned so far from being in a similar boat.

For RMC you HAVE TO meet the grade requirements specified on the website. If you don't, you'll get rejected.

On your application it will specify (ROTP-RMC) or (ROTP-CIVU) make sure you call the recruiting center to make sure they have the right one on file.

From what I've been told, if you are in your first or second year studies, you may still get accepted to RMC. However, any more and they will prefer you finish in CIV U.

The college you go to shouldn't matter, just the degree you are taking must align with the trade you applied for.

For some background: I got rejected from RMC, but they told me I'm eligible for CIV U ROTP.
So definitely consider that option as well.

Would love to connect more if you have any questions and perhaps we can bounce what we've learned off of eachother. I'm certainly no expert, but I've been dealing with this the last ~6 months or so myself, and can at least relay all that I've been told.

Hi all,
I've recently registered my account for this inquiry because emailing directly to the recruiting office would only provide me with a singular answer, and I would like to hear multiple inputs from this community. For context, the three officer trades that I applied for were signals, naval warfare, and aerospace engineering. I am a First-year student at Sheridan College in a Computer Science Honors Bachelor Program with a Specialization in Cloud Computing with Co-op (It may sound impressive on paper, but in reality, this school only requires a minimum grade of 65-70% to get in).

Application progress
So far in my application, I have completed my CFAT and TSD, and they've informed me that my results were good but not exceptionally so (somewhere between average and above average, whatever that means). I've also finished my screening forms and applied to RMC for its science degree program in computer science. Now, I'm waiting for them to contact me for the medical exam/interview stage of my application.
High school transcript & concerns:What's currently concerning me are my high school grade 12 marks. My grade 11 marks are generally okay, with an average of 83%, all my courses were above 75%, except for chemistry, which is right on the mark. This my my grade 12 highschool transcript:
  • 92% for Computer Science (ICS4U)
  • 85% for Philosophy (HZT4U)
  • 86% for Computing Engineering Technology (TEJ4M)
  • 80% for Physics (SPH4U)
  • 77% for Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
  • 72% for English (ENG4U)
  • 56% for Chemistry (SCH4U)
Including that poor chemistry mark, my average is roughly 78%, but if you exclude that course, my average for my top 6 courses is 82%. I asked about my marks on the Reddit forum, specifically regarding my English and chemistry, and they said I wouldn't be able to get into RMC without meeting those minimum requirements. However, when I asked a recruiter directly over the phone, he mentioned that if he approves my application for RMC, I could still have a chance at getting in.

Sports Credentials
I did receive an MVP plaque for tennis in my school, but to be honest, I got it because there were only 3 members who passed the tryouts, and they weren't particularly good at the sport. I'm not exceptionally skilled either, considering our school didn't even make it past the first tournament; we had zero wins. So, I'm unsure if I should show this "achievement" to the recruiters during the interview.

Volunteering & Work experience

Before high school, I volunteered at a church summer camp as a camp counselor for the entire month, which helped fulfill my high school volunteering requirement. By the end of it, I had accumulated 226 hours. I may have used more impressive language in this part of the RMC application, describing my responsibilities as if I displayed leadership while supervising children and ensuring they had the best summer experience. I wasn't dishonest, but it felt somewhat pretentious to describe my role in that manner. In grade 11, I participated in a co-op course and worked at "Code Ninjas," an organization that tutors kids in programming concepts, also serving as a summer camp. I worked in both areas of the business; during my co-op term, I worked in the summer camp for free, but in my grade 12 school year, I applied and secured an actual part-time job there, working in the tutoring business as well. However, it might not be impressive to say that I worked there since, at the end of the day, it seemed like another babysitting institution where parents left their kids to play computer games for a pretty penny.

Final thoughts & Conclusion

If I were to present these aspects in a favorable light (which I did for my RMC application), I'm not even sure if they will accept my application, given my top concerns regarding the application were school grades and sports. Additionally, with regard to my volunteering and work experience, I'm uncertain if what my recruiter says about my eligibility is true. This is where I'd like to hear from you guys about your experiences, what you believe were the most important factors contributing to your success in gaining admission to ROTP, and possibly any advice. Thanks.

Regarding sports, they don't really care how successful you were in sports. Actually, I know they dont care how successful you were in sports. What they care about was the fact that you DID sports, because it means you are good at: 1. Team work, 2. Following rules, 3. Staying Fit, and, most significantly, 4. Managing your time.

Hi all,

Whether it will have any bearing on your application, that is a question only answerable by the Recruiting Centre, however, university co-op programs used to be outliers for ROTP. They weren't always acceptable and did present some administrative hurdles for both the applicant and the CF.

The CFAO applicable to ROTP hasn't been (AFAIK) superseded by a DAOD so it's been 30 years since it was last amended, though there have probably been numerous changes promulgated by msg. However, it does include this.

CFAO 9-12 -- REGULAR OFFICER TRAINING PLAN

4. Normally successful candidates will be selected for attendance at a CMC; however, for a variety of reasons, some candidates are selected for academic training at other academic institutions. Candidates who already are attending university when they apply for the ROTP normally will continue their courses at that university. Candidates selected to attend a civilian university and who elect to study in a co-operative engineering programme are restricted to the AERE, CELE, EME, and MARE occupations. In addition to the normal academic progression expected, members must complete successfully the approved training/employment during work-periods to qualify for continued subsidization.

As an example of how co-op programmes are viewed, the following is from DAOD 5002-9, University Training Plan for Non-Commissioned Members – Regular Force. Note the second para that deals with pay, which would be applicable in the same manner to ROTP.

Co-operative Baccalaureate Degree Programmes
2.10 A UTPNCM officer is not authorized to enrol in a co-operative baccalaureate degree programme that incorporates one or more work terms unless it is essential for their baccalaureate degree programme. If a work term is required, approval must first be obtained from the CDA/SO BTL Mgt prior to accepting the work term. The CDA/SO BTL Mgt must determine if a co-operative work placement is possible within the DND or the CAF. The UTPNCM officer must be fully aware that participation in a co-operative baccalaureate degree programme may delay their required officer military occupation training and career progression.

2.11 A UTPNCM officer must not accept, in addition to pay and allowances, either directly or indirectly, any pay, salary, bonus, gratuity or other payment in respect of a work term that is part of a co-operative baccalaureate degree programme. If any payment is accepted, the officer must provide CDA/SO BTL Mgt with a statement of the payment. The officer is liable, in accordance with QR&O article 208.45, Deductions for Recovery of Additional Payment Received in Performance of Duties, to a deduction from the officer’s pay and allowances equal to the amount of payment received in respect of the work placement.

Whether it will have any bearing on your application, that is a question only answerable by the Recruiting Centre, however, university co-op programs used to be outliers for ROTP. They weren't always acceptable and did present some administrative hurdles for both the applicant and the CF.
My priority is to complete my bachelors at RMC, I don't mind even if I will have to redo 1st year again and on top of that I am not interested in completing a civvy U program if they're offered for the ROTP .

Back