• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This Is the ‘Hero’ Army Vet Who Took Down the Club Q Gunman

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dayum....

This Is the ‘Hero’ Army Vet Who Took Down the Club Q Gunman​

Fierro, who rose to the rank of major and earned numerous military awards including the Combat Action Badge and two Bronze Star Medals during his service, said he had only ever been shot at from afar before—but this time, he could smell the cordite.

“I had my whole Colorado Springs family in there. I had to do something: He was not going to kill my family,” Fierro told The Washington Post.

Then, he says, he went into “combat mode,” stripping suspected gunman Anderson Aldrich of his rifle and beating him bloody with it.

“I grabbed the gun out of his hand and just started hitting him in the head, over and over,” Fierro told the Times, describing a scuffle in which he found himself atop the 300-something pound gunman, who had momentarily lost his grip on his rifle. “I just know I have to kill this guy before he kills us.”

Local police, who credit the actions of a slew of unnamed patrons with saving “dozens and dozens of lives” Saturday night, cuffed the bloodied 45-year-old Fierro when they arrived at the scene, leaving him in the backseat of a police vehicle for more than an hour as he cried to be reunited with his family.

Fierro’s wife and daughter are reportedly at home, still recovering from their injuries, according to the Times. In total, five people lost their lives in the senseless attack at the LGBTQ nightclub Saturday night, while another 18 people were left injured.

“I just want people to take care of people, the people who are hurt and no longer with us,” Fierro told the Post. “I still got two of my best friends who are in the hospital. They still need prayers; they still need support.”

Why do articles like this always use the term “hero”? This guy went straight at an armed and armoured behemoth and, with help, took him out, saving unknown numbers of people. He’s a hero, not a “hero”.

Why do articles like this always use the term “hero”? This guy went straight at an armed and armoured behemoth and, with help, took him out, saving unknown numbers of people. He’s a hero, not a “hero”.

Well, he's my hero right now, so that's good enough for me ;)

I think it’s a matter of grammatical style when quoting what others are saying about him.

A few examples:

I think it’s a matter of grammatical style when quoting what others are saying about him.

A few examples:

I think you're correct. Both examples you provided seem to follow the Associated Press (AP) Style Guide, specifically using single quotation marks in headlines to save space and double marks in the body. A quote in a quote would alternate double and single marks.

This Is the ‘Hero’ Army Vet Who Took Down the Club Q Gunman​

Fierro, who rose to the rank of major and earned numerous military awards including the Combat Action Badge and two Bronze Star Medals during his service, said he had only ever been shot at from afar before—but this time, he could smell the cordite.

“I had my whole Colorado Springs family in there. I had to do something: He was not going to kill my family,” Fierro told The Washington Post.

Then, he says, he went into “combat mode,” stripping suspected gunman Anderson Aldrich of his rifle and beating him bloody with it.

“I grabbed the gun out of his hand and just started hitting him in the head, over and over,” Fierro told the Times, describing a scuffle in which he found himself atop the 300-something pound gunman, who had momentarily lost his grip on his rifle. “I just know I have to kill this guy before he kills us.”

Local police, who credit the actions of a slew of unnamed patrons with saving “dozens and dozens of lives” Saturday night, cuffed the bloodied 45-year-old Fierro when they arrived at the scene, leaving him in the backseat of a police vehicle for more than an hour as he cried to be reunited with his family.

Fierro’s wife and daughter are reportedly at home, still recovering from their injuries, according to the Times. In total, five people lost their lives in the senseless attack at the LGBTQ nightclub Saturday night, while another 18 people were left injured.

“I just want people to take care of people, the people who are hurt and no longer with us,” Fierro told the Post. “I still got two of my best friends who are in the hospital. They still need prayers; they still need support.”

BZ to all who responded to the threat.

Maybe I slept through the weekend and wasn't aware that I did. If I didn't, have mass shootings become so common that they become an easily missed local news story, or has media algorithms decided that this event wasn't worth being 'breaking news' (I'm using the inverted commas for sarcasm - not really permitted in the AP style). This thread is the first that I became aware of this mass shooting.

BZ to all who responded to the threat.

Maybe I slept through the weekend and wasn't aware that I did. If I didn't, have mass shootings become so common that they become an easily missed local news story, or has media algorithms decided that this event wasn't worth being 'breaking news' (I'm using the inverted commas for sarcasm - not really permitted in the AP style). This thread is the first that I became aware of this mass shooting.

Frankly I think we’re at the point where ‘another mass shooting in the States’ gets a certain amount of attention, but not what it would have in the past. Unless there’s a spectacular death toll or some other unusual characteristic, the public have become numbed to it.

Frankly I think we’re at the point where ‘another mass shooting in the States’ gets a certain amount of attention, but not what it would have in the past. Unless there’s a spectacular death toll or some other unusual characteristic, the public have become numbed to it.
Unless it's a gay or ethnic nightclub. Then we're beat over the head with it for months. If they can make it about a white guy shooting up something woke, that becomes the story.

BZ to this hero and hoping we can all react the same should the need arise.

Unless it's a gay or ethnic nightclub. Then we're beat over the head with it for months. If they can make it about a white guy shooting up something woke, that becomes the story.

The Uvalde story is still ongoing and has nothing to do with any of that. Nothing woke either.

Same as the July 4th Highland Parc shooting.

Many things can make a story and keep it in the media. Hate motivated, kids, parades and weird things like shooter in disguise.

Glad to see the heroes and victims getting more press than the shooter in this case.

They use quotes when they're quoting someone saying it - in this case ...
... At a Monday afternoon press conference, Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers said he’d met with Fierro, whom he called a “real hero” earlier in the day ...

Mass shootings, do not even make a blip unless it is a school or a gay night club, or a shopping mall, or ?

Chicago Police reported
"According to Chicago police, 20 people were shot in 15 separate shooting incidents between 6 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Sunday."

Toronto Police reporting 1 dead and 3 hurt in a shooting

Makes you wonder what the world is becoming.

At least mass murder hate crimes are still, briefly, newsworthy…

Mass shootings, do not even make a blip unless it is a school or a gay night club, or a shopping mall, or ?

Chicago Police reported
"According to Chicago police, 20 people were shot in 15 separate shooting incidents between 6 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Sunday."

Toronto Police reporting 1 dead and 3 hurt in a shooting

Makes you wonder what the world is becoming.
Chicago's mayor, Beetlejuice Lightfoot, held a press conference and asked

1669154572883.png
Then got blasted across the media for her hypocrisy.

Wow glass houses! She shouldn't say anything.

Plus I will be taking bets that this story will be memory holed by next week. The lawyer in the asked the accused to be refer to as them/they.
Why not?

If some simple controls could have prevented a mass shooting, that's a lot easier than preventing 15 individual shootings.

In this particular case, there are laws in place to remove weapons from high risk people, and the accused here held someone hostage previously with a bomb, but the area is a 'Second amendement haven' that is refusing to apply for those kind of orders, so he still had his legal guns.

The US has a gun cult problem (as well as a Constitution cult) where dogmatics refuse to accept any reasonable limitations. If they had gotten DUIs, they could have lost their license, why shouldn't they be at risk of losing the right to own guns if they demonstrate they are a danger to others?

Back