• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tomahawk axe

Not fancy, but a tire iron under the front seat gets the job done.

I used to have a little window punch you could carry on your key ring. Kept mine in the glove compartment.
Yup. A quick point force -preferably in a corner - works much better on tempered glass than bashing at it, even an edged weapon, and particularly when the ability to get a good swing may be limited. I carried an 'automatic' (spring loaded) centre punch in my brief case and still have a pointy tool in all of our vehicles, even a little one on the m/c (Google image). In training, I saw it done with a quick whack by a windshield wiper arm.

1666835360327.png

Windshields are another thing since they have a layer of plastic laminated in the middle, and require a breaching tool not unlike an old-style can opener.

Sorry, I was never trained on zombies.

Yup. A quick point force -preferably in a corner - works much better on tempered glass than bashing at it, even an edged weapon, and particularly when the ability to get a good swing may be limited. I carried an 'automatic' (spring loaded) centre punch in my brief case and still have a pointy tool in all of our vehicles, even a little one on the m/c (Google image). In training, I saw it done with a quick whack by a windshield wiper arm.

View attachment 74477

Windshields are another thing since they have a layer of plastic laminated in the middle, and require a breaching tool not unlike an old-style can opener.

A lot of newer vehicles have laminated glass on the side windows too - which can make clearance a pita - Vegas Metro actually uses a shortened aluminum baseball bat - works very well, unless you care about the guy inside…

"Can I legally break a car window if it is hot, and there is a dog inside", seems to be a common question.

The answer seems to vary,depending on jurisdiction.

Interesting article about breaking tempered vs laminated side windows.

"Can I legally break a car window if it is hot, and there is a dog inside", seems to be a common question.

The answer seems to vary,depending on jurisdiction.

Interesting article about breaking tempered vs laminated side windows.

From the article
Still not sure whether your vehicle has laminated side windows or tempered side windows?

It is actually fairly easy to determine. Put the window down halfway - and look from the top. Laminated glass is thicker and the central lamination will look more whitish compared to the outlying glass ‘sandwich’. Tempered glass is one piece and will look uniform from the top.

I have an expandable baton in my driver side door cubby - it’s a fairly reliable window breaker. Worse case I’ll put a few rounds into it - and kick it out.

View attachment 74477

In my two front door side bins there are a couple of old spark plugs with the top removed. Seems just the thing for side glass, and I've got assloads of them around from various motorized mayhem devices.

... even an edged weapon, and particularly when the ability to get a good swing may be limited.
that's when you use the "short grip"
the short grip is when you hold the haft/handle directly underneath the head of the tomahawk so you can still use the edge of the blade or the beak/spike (alternate short grip) provided your tomahawk has one. you would also still be able to hook by holding the haft/handle 3/4 of the way up. you can also thrust with the head or the top point, thrust with the haft/handle by holding it under the head with one hand and the butt with the other, additionally, you can also strike with the butt itself.

you really dont have to have a good swing available to you to cause harm.

im sure this is out of context but, sorry, i had to...

Seeing as this thread has already derailed, if anyone wants to try something different can recommend this blacksmithing course (and sure there are others in whatever area you are in).

Why buy an axe when you can start with a block of steel and a square cut of wood and end up with your own handmade one at the end? Started with the kitchen knife one, and looking at going back again to try another course, as well as setting up a backyard $50 knife forge, but always great to learn the basics from someone that knows what they are doing.

Throwing Axe or War Hammer | vansblacksmithing
Can confirm. Have a kitchen knife already....

oh, glass... for some reason i thought you were talking about zombies.......

In my two front door side bins there are a couple of old spark plugs with the top removed. Seems just the thing for side glass, and I've got assloads of them around from various motorized mayhem devices.
Yup. I once saw a volunteer FF who had a spark plug taped to a windshield wiper arm (low budget and before the days of breaching tools). The trick is a quick, sharp blow that creates a small chip in the surface that releases the opposing tensions inherent in the glass. There are all sorts of YouTubes of guys throwing bit of spark plug ceramic at windows - pretty hit and miss.

Aren't the metal bars that keep the headrest in place supposed to be good window-breaking tools?

Yup. I once saw a volunteer FF who had a spark plug taped to a windshield wiper arm (low budget and before the days of breaching tools). The trick is a quick, sharp blow that creates a small chip in the surface that releases the opposing tensions inherent in the glass. There are all sorts of YouTubes of guys throwing bit of spark plug ceramic at windows - pretty hit and miss.
I've seen it fail more often that not.
I wouldn't consider it viable these days - especially with laminated glass.

Aren't the metal bars that keep the headrest in place supposed to be good window-breaking tools?
I put covers on my headrests. I'll guarantee I'd be long dead before I could get those stupid little locks to release the headrest.

You need something that can cut a seat belt AND break the window.

If you just want to shatter a car window, an automatic centre punch works every time.

I put covers on my headrests. I'll guarantee I'd be long dead before I could get those stupid little locks to release the headrest.

You need something that can cut a seat belt AND break the window.
Yes.
If you just want to shatter a car window, an automatic centre punch works every time.
Again only with tempered glass.

The laminated ones tend to get a hole and some spiderwebs- but it won’t shatter out with just one punch.
Most will take 5-6 ‘hits’ along the door line and then you can push it out.

Just food for thought so if you get stuck in that situation you don’t get frazzled when a side window doesn’t shatter with one click.

My EDC Smith & Wesson M&P knife has a seatbelt ripper and window punch/skull cracker integral to the handle...I also have Leatherman Raptor shears which sometimes stay on my belt when I go home from work as backup - there is a pair in the med kit in the car also, but it's not readily accessible.

My EDC Smith & Wesson M&P knife has a seatbelt ripper and window punch/skull cracker integral to the handle...I also have Leatherman Raptor shears which sometimes stay on my belt when I go home from work as backup - there is a pair in the med kit in the car also, but it's not readily accessible.
I have am IFAK on the back of my head rest, a fire extinguisher on the rear of my seat, more involved emergency stuff in the rear of the Suburban (albeit under 3 sets of Hockey gear) hence the immediate need items are easy to get too...

I have am IFAK on the back of my head rest, a fire extinguisher on the rear of my seat, more involved emergency stuff in the rear of the Suburban (albeit under 3 sets of Hockey gear) hence the immediate need items are easy to get too...
I think my Mrs would think I was more of a nutter than she already does if I stuck my IFAK in my head rest - she already thinks I'm one for the kit in the back of my Trax, which I moved out of the spare well, where I still have my Jetboil with extra gas, some water, 3in1 coffee pouches and some freeze dried hiking food - hey Manitoba. You'd think given I've stopped for frigged up people on the street with her in the car that she'd get it, but NOOOOO :cool: .

Back