• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto Restaurant Lakeview

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Saw this diner featured on Food channel's Diners Driveins and Dives. One featured menu item was the applepie Shake. Looked good to me. Anyone been there ?

tomahawk6 said:
Saw this diner featured on Food channel's Diners Driveins and Dives. One featured menu item was the applepie Shake. Looked good to me. Anyone been there ?

Is it the place in Trinity Bellwoods?

...and no, I haven't forgot about that place in Ottawa you asked about, life just keeps getting in the way. Still plan to report back before I vacate this end of the province.  ;)

Here's a pic. Place must have a view of the lake. ;D

http://www.thelakeviewrestaurant.ca/

Don't know about the food, but it's been there for as long as I can remember.

Episode that I saw.

https://www.dinersdriveinsdives.com/Lakeview-Toronto-ON

tomahawk6 said:
Here's a pic. Place must have a view of the lake. ;D

http://www.thelakeviewrestaurant.ca/

No view of the Lake. It's on Dundas St W and almost two kilometers inland in the City. Has a view of the streetcars and the bank across the street.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
No view of the Lake. It's on Dundas St W and almost two kilometers inland in the City. Has a view of the streetcars and the bank across the street.

:cheers:

Right. I was stationed in that area in the 1970's. Can't tolerate the aggravation of driving and parking my own car there anymore.

T6, if you don't mind something a little more rustic ( and unlicensed to serve beer, wine or alcohol ), this is our local restaurant. We walk there, but there's lots of free parking.
https://www.urbaneer.com/blog/the_grenadier_cafe_in_high_park

( Unfortunately, it's temporarily closed due to Covid. May re-open by the time you come up? )

Attachments

• grenadier.jpg
    grenadier.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 29
I've been many a times at 3am after hitting the bars and clubs (close to my house). Good location, close to Bellwoods Trinity and Little Portugal, and the start of the Ossington Strip. Can't see the lake from there, but ride a bike 10 min south downhill and you'll get there.
The poutine and mimosas are the only thing we ever get.
It's pretty good, and a lot of people. Haven't been there in 2 years.

As others have said, that area isn't on the lake, and driving/parking is a joke (An issue in pretty much every trendy area, to be fair - not just a Toronto thing)

With that said, Toronto Harbourfront is actually quite nice during the summer. When I fly into YTZ during warmer months, it's always a good feeling. Flying right into downtown is great. I'll often meet a friend at Amsterdam Brew House which is right on the water. Or perhaps you can check out Pearl Harbourfront (It's Chinese, not Japanese, in case you were wondering) if you're feeling a little more adventurous. Looking forward to sticking myself with a vaccine, so I can start enjoying some time down there again!

:salute:

reveng said:
As others have said, that area isn't on the lake, and driving/parking is a joke (An issue in pretty much every trendy area, to be fair - not just a Toronto thing)

With that said, Toronto Harbourfront is actually quite nice during the summer. When I fly into YTZ during warmer months, it's always a good feeling. Flying right into downtown is great. I'll often meet a friend at Amsterdam Brew House which is right on the water. Or perhaps you can check out Pearl Harbourfront (It's Chinese, not Japanese, in case you were wondering) if you're feeling a little more adventurous. Looking forward to sticking myself with a vaccine, so I can start enjoying some time down there again!

:salute:

What is the Ottawa restaurant?  I'm willing to some quality checking.

Pearl Harbourfront has changed locations a few (?) times, but unless it's another one with the same English and Chinese name, that restaurant has been around since at least the 70s.  I remember going to one in old Chinatown in the 80s or early 90s.

Dimsum said:
What is the Ottawa restaurant?  I'm willing to some quality checking.

Pearl Harbourfront has changed locations a few (?) times, but unless it's another one with the same English and Chinese name, that restaurant has been around since at least the 70s.  I remember going to one in old Chinatown in the 80s or early 90s.

The Ottawa place was Art-is-in, I think you said you were there in the thread IIRC? I was planning to give T6 my take on it in this wonderful era of COVID. How was Pearl Harbourfront back then? Did you get the dim sum?  ;D

Not to derail, but if anyone has any other good suggestions for Ottawa/Ottawa Valley, Kingston, or Toronto, please share! I've spent a huge chunk of my life split between these places and somehow feel I've missed most of the good spots...

reveng said:
The Ottawa place was Art-is-in, I think you said you were there in the thread IIRC? I was planning to give T6 my take on it in this wonderful era of COVID. How was Pearl Harbourfront back then? Did you get the dim sum?  ;D

Not to derail, but if anyone has any other good suggestions for Ottawa/Ottawa Valley, Kingston, or Toronto, please share! I've spent a huge chunk of my life split between these places and somehow feel I've missed most of the good spots...

Mods:  Maybe split this thread and make a new one like "Restaurants" or something?

Oh right.  I was in the small nook in the Byward Market - I haven't been to the main one yet. 

Pearl was good, I think.  I was pretty young.  To be honest, if you're looking for Chinese food in the GTA, go to Markham or Richmond Hill.  Anywhere along Hwy 7 between Markham Road and Leslie will generally be better than what's downtown these days.  Most of the Chinese folks don't go to downtown Chinatown anymore, and haven't since the mid-90s. 

reveng said:
Not to derail, but if anyone has any other good suggestions for Ottawa/Ottawa Valley, Kingston, or Toronto, please share!

I don't have a restaurant to recommend. But, there is a cuisine I have loved for many years. It's unlike anything else I have ever tasted. Koryo-saram is the name used to describe Russia's Korean population.  I've been to Korean restaurants in TO. The food is good, but I have never tasted anything like Koryo-saram. I'm fortunate to know a local chef who makes it in her home as take-out only.

This is an article about the cuisine from Vancouver,
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/koryo-saram-cuisine-spotlights-distinct-korean-russian-community-1.4173807

Thanks for the tip about Grenadier Cafe next time I am In TO. ;D

tomahawk6 said:
Thanks for the tip about Grenadier Cafe next time I am In TO. ;D

You are welcome to stop by the house, if you have time.  :)
We had a Milnet Meet and Greet here a few years ago. Perhaps time for another, when the Covid situation is under control.  :cheers:

One place worth mentioning T6 is the Old Mill. An elegant hotel ( never stayed overnight as it is only 2 Km. from my house ), dining and dancing six nights a week. Of course, that was before Covid.

Back