• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

trader rating?

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
The buy/sell forum here seems to be gaining popularity.

Could we look at making a "trader rating" for army.ca members who buy and sell stuff something akin like you see on sites like ebay and canadiangunnutz.com?

For members who are serious about buying and selling it may be a nice feature so new members to the forum will have an instant backbreif on someones credibility.

The problem with that is it makes Milnet.Ca responsible for possible bad deals that may transpire. best we leave as is and let the buyer and seller beware.

Unfortunately it's not something that's easily implemented. I'm trying (with varying degrees of success) to get what we have working well before I get distracted with additional features. :)

Mike Bobbitt said:
Unfortunately it's not something that's easily implemented. I'm trying (with varying degrees of success) to get what we have working well before I get distracted with additional features.
A simple method would be to create a thread in B/S/T exclusively for buyer and seller feedback. Future buyers/sellers can simply search the thread for eachother's usernames to see feedback from past transactions. Replies could follow a simple format:

- Buyer/seller's username
- Item sold/bought
- Link to the thread
- Comments on price, shipping time, communication
- Overall level of satisfaction

And, after one rating which the buyer and seller don't agree upon, the flame war starts and the staff have to clean up the resulting mess.

How about we just leave it at caveat emptor, and no-one should part with their money unless the seller agrees to a money back guarantee.

I'm not so sure things would break out into an all out flame war that would resign the mods to half day work chits due to stress  ;D

When you're dealing with buying stuff from the internet I guess I just find it reassuring to see that *whomever* has sold 30 different articles to 16 people and they have mostly good feedback.  Maybe ask for a volunteer mod (if something like this DID get off the ground)  to police the place.

I think this would cause nothing but problems.  After watching how some discussions go here if you get one disgruntled person it could go bad for both sides.  I have sold a few things here and never had a problem, on the other hand I had one individual(not from this site) who I buillt a ruck and straps for who did nothing but complain.  I have made 100's of these without a problem and one person can cause problems to your reputation.  I finally just gave her the money back and told her not to come back. 

Flawed Design said:
Here's a question though.  How do forums or places like Ebay that has a more established trader forum deal with the flaming we're afraid of here?  What happens on ebay if I buy something and im not happy with the toy or service?
Not playing devils advocate I've just never bought anything from ebay. I've seen the positive and negitive comments before but never any bickering about it.

In short, they don't offer the opportunity for flame wars.  EBay removed the capability for sellers to rate buyers.  And buyers can only post a short statement along with a relatively new basic rating system with four rating categories.  The rating system is also cumulative, so that one idiot can't completely overwhelm any number of polite positive responses by continually posting retorts or jumping in on any other item the seller offers.

Example.

But there is no facility for a continual back and forth on line.

CREATE TABLE `urtable`.`seller_rating` (
`id` INT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
`id_user` INT NOT NULL ,
`item` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL ,
`shipping_rate` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL ,
`time_rate` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL ,
`communication_rate` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL ,
`transaction_type` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL ,
`link_thread` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL ,
PRIMARY KEY ( `id` )
) ENGINE = MYISAM ;

Not really hard to make after that..

(a little more complicated that i tought at start nevermind eh)

Back