• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training of Straining?

Freddy Chef

Inactive
Reaction score
As PT: NBC respirator (no suit, no rubber protective gloves, and no rubber protective boots), fighting order, and weapon. Easy-march, a couple laps around the base.

Abuse or not?

Definatly NOT abuse.

In the real deal, it wont be uncommon to be sprinting in MOPP 4, with FFO. Not to mention, it will be a lot more than a couple laps around a base.

Take the NBC Operator's Course in Borden. Route march from the gas hut back to the school, knee deep in snow, wearing the complete outfit. Your little stroll was nothing, certainly not abuse. Gets you used to operating in your mask. Teaches you to regulate your breathing and not to panic and tear it off, (not a good idea in a contaminated enviroment ;) )

Thanks for the input.

My above PT scenario was just an idea, after seeing one of the section commanders in my unit using the respirator during his personal PT. Really works over the breathing for cardio. If I'd stayed in the CF, wouldn't mind using this PT idea while instructing on course.

Actually, the most I've ever done was respirator, marching order, raingear, and C-6. Withdrawal from the defence (1.2km hump), under contact, during my ISCC FT-Ex.

Thought I'd put this question out, because when I left â Å“No running in combat bootsâ ? was in effect. So I was wondering what the limits were now a days with PT on course.

Cheers 

Sounds like a good idea running with the gas mask during your own personal PT.  Just don't know how that'll go over running around in my neighbourhood with a gas mask on! ;D

It would certainly make sure everyone had a properly cleaned gas mask.   I don't think it would be abuse but certainly there are additional ways to challenge breathing - add a medicine ball, football, rugby ball.

The British Army on the Rhine worked one day each week in their respirator - office work, meetings, phone calls, PT, etc.   They had a good perception of the workload degradation caused by the respirator.   Not sure if Brits still use this procedure.

We used to put on the whole "bunny" suit and do sandbag circles. Two sandbags going in opposite directions in a circle, whoever dropped the sandbags had to lay down on the ground and do the "dying rabbit" lay on your side and kick your legs and arms out repeatedly. It was torture, but it taught you not to make mistakes in the NBCD gear or the "dying rabbit" would feel like a nice warm bath in comparison!

Back