• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Just back from my time in Europe (Croatia (Dubrovnik), France and Ireland).
Saw some interesting things while in Dubrovnik, namely the 2 high end vehicles (Toyota Land Cruiser and some type of Benz SUV) with Ukrainian license plates at the condo building I was staying at in the Lapad area of Dubrovnik......add to that the 7-series BMW with an Ontario license plate (license sticker from Aug 19) and the name 'D. Sutherland' on one of the mailboxes.....not sure if this translates to Donald Sutherland or not, but it was amusing to see this.

One of the cars (the Benz SUV) is from Kyiv and the Toyota Land Cruiser is from Dnipropetrovsk area.

Last edited:

AmmoTech90

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Meanwhile demining efforts continues
They are "clearing" PFM-1 ap mines. Very little metal content, a fuze in the centre that is probably 1.5cm across and 4 long. The body is soft plastic and looks like a large maple seed with one fat side holding around 40g of liquid explosive.

So very little metal frag and just enough bang to rip up your foot, hand, etc. Face plant on one and your probably a goner, otherwise a very bad day.

Not unexpected but sort of unlucky if buddy got fragged in the ass.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Russische_Schmetterlingsmine_PFM-1.jpg
The “maple seed.”

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

TacticalTea

Reaction score
Alot of controversy today over amnesty international's report of ukrainian forces actions in the war so far. I haven't read it my self yet so I won't comment in the report it self yet but Russia is jumping all over it as justification. Though AI Ukraines branch wasn't consulted apparently which raises questions

Never had much esteem for Amnesty.

They came after Quebec and they've shown to be a questionable, shady organization over the years.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Double dog dare ya'...

Ukraine war: Russia accuses US of direct role in Ukraine war​

In April, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said US President Joe Biden's decision to supply Ukraine with billions of dollars worth of arms meant "Nato, in essence, is engaged in a war with Russia through a proxy and is arming that proxy".

"War means war," the 72-year-old warned.

In all fairness, they aren’t wrong.

While American troops may not be doing the fighting directly against Russian troops, the Americans have become more or less directly involved in the war. Just because they aren’t fighting on the front lines doesn’t mean they aren’t directly involved.

They, like the rest of us, have sent weaponry to Ukraine intended to be used against the Russians - and to great affect. And they’re sending more.

They have provided the Ukrainians with drastically enhanced capabilities than what they previously had, allowing Ukraine to strike valuable targets far behind Russian lines.

They openly admit to providing the Ukrainians with real time intelligence, re sinking the warship Moskva, and crippling one of Russia’s new frigates.

The list goes on, but the Russians aren’t wrong. America IS directly involved, and that’s a good thing. Russia attacked one of America’s allies, and has openly committed what seems like an ever growing list of war crimes…

@Soldier35 Russia doesn’t like the fact that America is directly involved? Eat shit, too bad.

ueo

Subscriber
Reaction score
Only saw the end of it and it was mostly her answering questions about procurement and not answering one about South Korea.
Dumb question (maybeeeee): where are the troops coming from as instructors seem to imply MCpl or better, Cbt Arms, probably infantry? Cdn recruiting also implies a draw on similar resources, In my little infantry mind 1+1 does not equal what some pol has ideated. Where are our military adults praytell?

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
And neither have I. They will yell and scream at democratic nations yet whisper or say nothing at all to dictatorships.
Who do you think will actually listen? Dictatorial and oppressive regimes will murder AI members at will for speaking out, democratic ones will bend and bow to avoid bad press prior to an election.

We like to think the world has changed since 1945, it hasn't.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Who do you think will actually listen? Dictatorial and oppressive regimes will murder AI members at will for speaking out, democratic ones will bend and bow to avoid bad press prior to an election.

We like to think the world has changed since 1945, it hasn't.
In many ways its worse. Like I said earlier - I miss the USSR.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
... They will yell and scream at democratic nations yet whisper or say nothing at all to dictatorships.
To be fair, not entirely true ....

Last edited:

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
In many ways its worse. Like I said earlier - I miss the USSR.
Compared to whatever ‘this Russia’ is, absolutely.

Putin’s dreams of a USSR 2.0 may be far fetched at best, especially if today’s Russia is it’s foundation.