• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unveiling of New CANSOFCOM Dress Uniform

Humphrey Bogart said:
I don't understand the issue with beards? 

We take great pleasure in mucking about on things that don't really matter rather than focusing on things that do.  Beards is easier to fixate on than actual tangible things.

Humphrey Bogart said:
I don't understand the issue with beards?  I've had one on and off since I switched to the RCN.  I grow it out when I'm not sailing and when I'm sailing or have to wear firefighting gear, I shave it off. 

Some beards I've seen are pretty bad but it's more so the fact that some individuals aren't blessed with a full face of hair.  That doesn't mean they have any less of a right to grow one than I do.

As long as someone can still get a gas mask seal and do drill having a beard shouldn't matter.

Jarnhamar said:
As long as someone can still get a gas mask seal and do drill having a beard shouldn't matter.

Even having only done the DC School Engine Room Fire Training, I would not want to take the chance that my kit didn't work as intended in a real life scenario.

I think the same would apply to working in a CBRN environment.

Jarnhamar said:

The problem is you can get a good enough of a seal to block out CS gas particulates (as used in the gas hut) as they are quite large (large in terms of chemical agents) so you might think you are good, however, the nasty agents are quite a bit smaller and you most likely will not be able to get a seal with a beard.

Humphrey Bogart said:
, I would not want to take the chance that my kit didn't work as intended in a real life scenario.

I've never had facial hair. But, an SME had this to say,

Scott said:
Your best chance with RPE is ALWAYS when you're clean shaven. If that offends your personal sense of fashion and style, too bad. You always default to manufacturer's instructions - and I have yet to see one that doesn't mention being clean shaven.

I highlighted the yellow part, because I haven't either. eg: N95.

I'm being Facitiousy :)

I'm always ponting out the same thing about particle size.
Seems easy to me. Cbrn threat environment, shave.

On another note our beard standard isn't GBA+ friendly.

dangerboy said:
The problem is you can get a good enough of a seal to block out CS gas particulates (as used in the gas hut) as they are quite large (large in terms of chemical agents) so you might think you are good, however, the nasty agents are quite a bit smaller and you most likely will not be able to get a seal with a beard.
I love the, "I just use gobs of Vaseline to get my seal!" crowd...

Lumber said:
I don't care who we copied it from, SOF has the bessed dress uniform in the CAF, and this coming from a guy who spent the last 13 years bragging about how much better RCN dress uniforms are than anyone else's (until now).

I certainly agree, makes the CA look sad...

Infanteer said:
It's the lighting.  He has a full beard, and its within regs.  ::)

lol...yes that must be it :-/  I have a crap load of grey in my beard and in no lighting do I look like I have a goatee... must be just me though :-/  And my wife won't let me use any of the products mentioned here, I'm not allowed to look younger than her :p

Old EO Tech said:
lol...yes that must be it :-/  I have a crap load of grey in my beard and in no lighting do I look like I have a goatee... must be just me though :-/

It is you.

Good2Golf said:
Blues = Patrol Dress = black-tie equivalent at least for armoured and sigs,I believe:

The pic is of A sigs captain PATROL UNDRESS. Dress blues are another category are a form of full dress number 1 ceremonials. Like the scarlet jacket in most other units. Unless grandfatered, in Canada only army reserve and Mil Col cadets wear patrol undress. Mess kit isncovered in the #2 dress. Things like facing and lace coloursusually translate from full dress ro mess dress. Ie PPCLI wear a scarlet jacket with French grey facings (cuffs and lapels). You will see grey lapels, cuffs in both #1B and 2.
MD-4.jpg

Back