• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

The new uniform project still has a PM, a PD, a procurement officer, and probably a few other staff. There are BNs and briefings tacking Col & GOFO level time as well. So there is an opportunity cost in effort that does more to impede larger projects than does the opportunity cost of dollars.

We could have gotten a better fitting uniform at the LCMM level alone.

That being said, I don’t think anyone will miss the mint green shirts.
This is what drives me crazy; we are actively unable to do normal support work on routine buys to fill bins, and have multiple projects sitting idle to address obsolesence/safety/capability updgrades but things like this (or wifi, gyms) get priority.

Sure it's concurrent activity, but so would the same people being available to support other things that we aren't doing (or similarly getting the policy wonks doing 'process improvements' doing something other than changing/adding onto processes we can't keep up with anyway).

In my mind fixing things that are broken is a bigger priority than improving things that are working and when we are triaging safety related work and funding that $4M is being wasted. We have just gotten a budget crunch for normal O&M for next year, so have to now justify why its important to get money to keep basic systems working.

Edit: also, we have a hiring freeze back on, so have LCMM vacancies sitting idle on safety critical equipment, despite having a candidate ready to go. I could use some matrix support for someone to do DRMIS updates etc for the financial so I can focus on the technical bits.

As the US anthem was mentioned, "The Star Spangled Banner" was written about the bombardment of Baltimore during the War of 1812, strangely enough, a war they lost. (They don't think so).
I have no problem with the Canadian national anthem BTW.
Just realized this is in a thread about uniforms. Wow, things seem to get off the rails too easily on this site.:p

So back on topic, I have nothing against the Army getting rid of the old "CF greens" and updating the Army uniform.
You're assuming or implying that green will no longer be the colour of the new service uniform. It could still be green to retain the Canadian distinctiveness. Maybe it will khaki, tan or some other colour. Some fractions may be opposed to Khaki because it is too militaristic or it symbolizes imperialism. Some might not like the colour green because it doesn't match with their personality, hue of their skin or hair shade. Other still may prefer the colour blue, but it does implies a preference to the male gender. Perhaps it should be red to reflect the British heritage, but the Quebecers will oppose it and may suggest the colour blue as a reflection of their French lineage, but we then have the gender problem again. As a Canadian compromise to reflect the unique British and French heritage, mixing red and blue gives us - PURPLE. Therefore the colour of the new service uniform should be PURPLE :p

Wow - I, just thought like a GO/FO, CWO/CPO1 would (sarcasm).

Cheers

But that's the (original) French version, which is different from the English version.

Just sayin'.

As far as a purple uniform goes, that would fit well with the "purple" trades. ;)
Why stop there? Rifle green uniforms for rifle regiments, scarlet for regular infantry, blue for cavalry, black for armour, dull cherry for medical units, etc., etc.
(totally joking, don't shoot me!) :p

Last edited:
Maybe not.... but what about Stable Belts!!!????!!!????

View attachment 76465
The term "stable belt" originates from when UK cavalrymen would place the surcingle around the waist when cleaning the stables and tending to their horses.[1] In the 1950s they spread to all branches of the armed forces, adding a splash of colour and individuality to the drab khaki working uniforms. Initially they were resisted by many senior officers, who saw them as too individualistic, but they soon became accepted throughout the UK forces – and have now spread to the forces of a number of other countries.
:ROFLMAO:

But let’s be serious - 4 mil is a drop in the bucket for budget.

We want to save money that doesn’t really help Canadians? Get rid of the Snowbirds, Skyhawks, and HMCS Oriole. Free up their crews, techs, etc for other fleets.

Folks in office settings do not need 4 sets of flight suits and 3 sets of combats/NCDs, plus the boots, winter gear, etc. They can keep 2 sets of uniforms (and if aircrew, none of their combats) and none of the gear that they won’t use, unless they’re at some high-readiness deployment unit.

That should free up some stuff.

I say, do it all. It’s clear we mismanage money in many ways; and we could use that money for stuff that actually is meaningful.

4 million is a drop in the bucket, sure. Is that good justification for waste though?

Back