• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy rescues women, dogs lost at sea for months

gryphonv

Reaction score
http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/navy-rescues-women-dogs-lost-at-sea-for-months

BZ to the crew.

It's heartening to read a story like this with a good, happy ending.  BZ to all indeed.

They claimed to be making distress calls every day, I wonder though on what type of radio? A VHF would not be terribly useful deepsea, likely they had no HF nor HAM radio set. I get the impression they were not well prepared in some areas, but still prepared and resourceful in others.

In many ways, this is indeed a good news story, but unfortunately it lacks a number of details:

1)  Why was their vessel considered not seaworthy?  The engine in a sailboat is more for moving around in port than for open ocean sailing.
2)  Why were they off course?  Did they not know how to navigate?  Did they rely to much on GPS?
3)  There seems to have been a number of planning failures here.

People embarking on things like this really should be required to have insurance of some sort.

Pusser said:
In many ways, this is indeed a good news story, but unfortunately it lacks a number of details:

1)  Why was their vessel considered not seaworthy?  The engine in a sailboat is more for moving around in port than for open ocean sailing.
Apparently they were under sail for a time but they damaged the mast.  Makes me wonder though, so much time at sea they couldn't find a way to jury rig any one of their 2-3 sails?
2)  Why were they off course?  Did they not know how to navigate?  Did they rely to much on GPS?

People embarking on things like this really should be required to have insurance of some sort.

Yup. No Sat phone at the very least?  If you're going to be anywhere where you can't see land (or civilization while on land) why wouldn't you carry one?

Pusser said:

Or at least a sat phone with backup.

And here I was thinking that Gryphon was giving the US Navy a BZ because they managed to carry out the rescue without hitting the sailboat.  ;D

Seriously though, if there is one thing I can't stand, it's people attempting deep sea transits that haven't the foggiest about what they are doing.

First off: if you are going to be at deep sea, out of the principal shipping routes, LEARN GODDAM ASTRO-NAVIGATION - regardless of how many electronics you carry. This is the mid South Pacific! It rarely rains! Every day around noon, you can get a cheap fix to the nearest two to five miles in a few minutes.

Second off: Why on earth would anyone attempt an ocean crossing nowadays without an EPIRB? It gives out a signal picked up by satellite anywhere around the planet.

2 women and their dogs, likely someone said something and they responded "It's Fine!!!!!" and off they went. Caught up in the romantic dream of being one with the ocean. We used to rescue these types on a regular basis.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
And here I was thinking that Gryphon was giving the US Navy a BZ because they managed to carry out the rescue without hitting the sailboat.  ;D

Ah don't worry... they just cast off the crippled sailboat to let it float around unguided. Probably banking a future excuse if they do hit a sailboat at some time.

But seriously, why not scuttle the boat instead of leaving it as a navigational hazard.

Back