• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis

It's OK, the (probably) new Premier is a big fan too:

BC NDP frontrunner David Eby proposes involuntary treatment for multiple overdose patients​

That's all great to beak off about, but since the MoH is scaring/phuquing physicians off out of the Province, who is going to treat these people, who's going go staff and secure the treatment facilities, and most importantly, who's going to pay to increase the inpatient beds/build the facilities to house them?

🍿

It's OK, the (probably) new Premier is a big fan too:

BC NDP frontrunner David Eby proposes involuntary treatment for multiple overdose patients​

The issue is that its involuntary. Those that don't WANT to change will take the program and be released and relapse. Its a revolving door but hey it does employ people.

That's all great to beak off about, but since the MoH is scaring/phuquing physicians off out of the Province, who is going to treat these people, who's going go staff and secure the treatment facilities, and most importantly, who's going to pay to increase the inpatient beds/build the facilities to house them?

This is a public health emergency. What do provinces do when they can't properly manage and plan? Call 1-800-CAF.

The issue is that its involuntary. Those that don't WANT to change will take the program and be released and relapse. Its a revolving door but hey it does employ people.
Malaysia does this, with about a 15% success rate, but it does keep them off the street, gives them food and treatment and when they get out they are in better health for whatever they decide to do. We could pay foreigners to do it. If your good you get the Filipino ward, if your bad you get the Russian Ward.

Last edited:
Well, let's see how this all pans out on the public safety front.

One piece of good news ;)

Ben Isitt, who received the most votes of any councillor in the 2018 election and was the only sitting councillor to run for re-election this year, was not re-elected.

He received 6,821 votes, or 4.3 per cent of all votes, when 42 of the city's 48 polls had reported their totals – making him the 11th highest voted candidate this year.

Well, let's see how this all pans out on the public safety front.

One piece of good news ;)

Ben Isitt, who received the most votes of any councillor in the 2018 election and was the only sitting councillor to run for re-election this year, was not re-elected.

He received 6,821 votes, or 4.3 per cent of all votes, when 42 of the city's 48 polls had reported their totals – making him the 11th highest voted candidate this year.

I saw that. Even Victoria residents have had enough of his crap.

Could not happen to a nicer guy…

We were running scenarios as a detachment today- containing some experiences from “tent cities”. They are incredibly unpredictable places and the frequency of being called their creates all types of issues. Terrible thing this.

We were running scenarios as a detachment today- containing some experiences from “tent cities”. They are incredibly unpredictable places and the frequency of being called their creates all types of issues. Terrible thing this.

I actively avoid certain parts of town that cops have to go into routinely. I can't believe they don't allow you to keep a pistol out and ready to go, just in case.

I actively avoid certain parts of town that cops have to go into routinely. I can't believe they don't allow you to keep a pistol out and ready to go, just in case.
Pistol in hand, both hands inside upper portion of body armor (through armholes). Looks fairly non threatening until you take a step back into a better / oriented shooting position and rotate away extending empty hand in warning gesture prior to rejoining grip hand as it comes up from pulling pistol out of concealment and extends to firing position

(I know what I want to say but am probably describing it badly)

Once they are arrested - safely for all I hope - we in the Corrections system get to take care of them. Unpredictable - yes. Mentally unstable and their numbers are increasing. We used to have about 19 or so in jail 20 years ago now the number is at least 60. But here they are contained and managed somewhat.

I cannot imagine what it must be like for the police that have to dismantle these camps.

Pistol in hand, both hands inside upper portion of body armor (through armholes). Looks fairly non threatening until you take a step back into a better / oriented shooting position and rotate away extending empty hand in warning gesture prior to rejoining grip hand as it comes up from pulling pistol out of concealment and extends to firing position

Why not pivot 90 degrees in one direction, point one arm straight out towards the threat and with the pistol still hidden inside the body armor fire a round through the open space?

To onlookers it will look like you shot someone with a finger gun. Instead street cred.

Damn... that's poetry in motion, right there ;)

john wick lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 2

Why not pivot 90 degrees in one direction, point one arm straight out towards the threat and with the pistol still hidden inside the body armor fire a round through the open space?

To onlookers it will look like you shot someone with a finger gun. Instead street cred.
Or just be huge and intimidating and have a good draw! 😁

Once they are arrested - safely for all I hope - we in the Corrections system get to take care of them. Unpredictable - yes. Mentally unstable and their numbers are increasing. We used to have about 19 or so in jail 20 years ago now the number is at least 60. But here they are contained and managed somewhat.

I cannot imagine what it must be like for the police that have to dismantle these camps.
You can't build speciality hospital to care for them and have the staff to help them, but we can throw them into jail......

You can't build speciality hospital to care for them and have the staff to help them, but we can throw them into jail......
Right?

When I worked corrections (provincially) we would house the true mental health folks in the healthcare ward of the prison, where their living conditions were more relaxed than if in a regular unit.

Still boring as hell, and the few nurses we had on staff weren’t of any help beyond ensuring medications were taken.
Then they’d mostly be released back into society, with no real help given to get them on track from when they first arrived…

We had HOW much money available to donate to the WE Charity again?

Problem is, politicians spent whatever was saved long ago, and were already climbing the walls trying to figure out new ways to tax people even before inflation and rising interest rates further compressed their non-existent fiscal "freedom of manoeuvre". A party which is fiscally responsible risks creating an opportunity for its opponents to make spending promises. Voters vote for that sh!t, then bitch about things undone that might actually be public responsibilities.

You want public safety and defence seen to? You first have to resolutely vote out the culprits most likely to find all sorts of things to spend on, and vote in the ones willing to crush a multitude of rice bowls. Every other issue can wait.

Back