• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vimy 2017

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
So, the wife and I were talking about going to Europe, and we're looking at Vimy in 2017. Anyone else planning to go? I imagine the CF will have a large presence, but we probably won't hear anything until after the election in 2015.

was just there this past September ...  Personally, I think it is best appreciated without a large crowd.

I've never been there, my great uncle fell on the first day.  I'd like to be there for the centenary if possible.

I'm planning on taking the family to start at Vimy for the ceremony and then move towards Normandy and Belgium. Once in a life time opportunity, and even though my oldest will only be 7, I think he'll get so much out of it.

My plan too. Except for the 7 year old... unless you mean Scotch.

AJFitzpatrick said:
was just there this past September ...  Personally, I think it is best appreciated without a large crowd.

Agreed.  It's very moving, and IMHO a big crowd would distract from the monument and area.

If you go, I'd recommend checking out the town of Arras as well.  It's a pretty cool spot.

I was a vimy guide during the 90th anniversary celebrations.

Things to think about if you aren't part of the CF contingent (CF contingent got its own nice little tour)

- Its a major selling point for tour companies to bring "the youth of Canada". Think hundreds upon hundreds of school children, not all who want to be there.
- The tunnels were closed for some times due to the sheer volume of people.
- Even when the tunnel was open, it was a walk through with very basic interpretation.
- The monument will probably be blocked off for security reasons
- Again, thousands of school children

I have never ever been so wet and exhausted in my life after that day. There is a picture somewhere of me, looking like a completely utter drowned rat holding a wreath for the ceremony. I loved working at Vimy though :)

I recommend going but keep in mind that some features may not be available - based on past experience - I cannot comment on what the site managers will do for this upcoming anniversary. Also recommend Beaumont Hamel......Ypres......and Holland. And yes, Arras. Arras was a beautiful place and I loved every minute of it.

Bring KD and Peanut butter for the Guides.

ArmySailor said:

Things to think about if you aren't part of the CF contingent (CF contingent got its own nice little tour)

- Its a major selling point for tour companies to bring "the youth of Canada". Think hundreds upon hundreds of school children, not all who want to be there.
- Even when the tunnel was open, it was a walk through with very basic interpretation.

I have never ever been so wet and exhausted in my life after that day. There is a picture somewhere of me, looking like a completely utter drowned rat holding a wreath for the ceremony. I loved working at Vimy though :)

I recommend going but keep in mind that some features may not be available - based on past experience - I cannot comment on what the site managers will do for this upcoming anniversary. Also recommend Beaumont Hamel......Ypres......and Holland. And yes, Arras. Arras was a beautiful place and I loved every minute of it.

I've been there three times and always managed to avoid the crowds. That was way before iPads though, and I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for online information sources one could access, using the new technology, that would help make a self-guided visit more informative?

ArmySailor said:

Funny... I was working the 90th as well. I was the Sr Med Auth for the tasking. We're going in 2017 as my wife has never been, and wants to go. I will probably use Easter as a basic planning date, and do Vimy either just before or after. We also want to see Normandy.

Apparently I can't count - I was there for the 95th lol. Durp. Got to meet the GG and gave the dignataries tour. Pretty awesome times.

It will be very interesting to see how the new visitors centre is integrated into everything.

Not to overly negative and not intended as a slight on the Vimy Foundation, but when I was there (September this year) there was no signs of activity regarding the new visitors education centre other than a sign that there would be one.

Back