• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VOTP Time Limit before QL5

SF_Geo

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that if you remustered you had to be course loaded on a QL5 within 18 months of your COS to the new trade.
Is there anyone out there that is aware of this and has a reference handy?

Here's a bit of background: Friend transferred to new trade in July 08, went on QL3 shortly after. In order to be loaded on a QL5 member is told that they have to complete an OJT package (standard stuff).
Present unit cannot provide such training; member is being told that training to another unit needs to be arranged, but apparently there isn't a unit that can accommodate said training (short staff, no access to proper assets, etc…).
Member is demanding answers on when the QL5 will happen, he is told by CoC that they can't be loaded until QL4 package is done, so basically he is given the run around...

My impressions: Unit is very short manned, not willing to let member go on OJT training / QL5 course. So they're trying to delay it as much as possible.
Are there any references that this person could pull up to prevent this from continuing in this vicious circle?

Thanks for your input

In my trade ( mse op), I see people go past th 18 month rule all the time.  As far as I can see, it's not a biggie.

Is it written anywhere about the 18 month rule? I've been waiting since July to get on a QL3 and no date in sight.

I had no guarantee when I VOTP.

Unit is very short manned, not willing to let member go on OJT training / QL5 course

The member can put a memo in to do OJT at another unit on base or for an att posting to unit that can complete his/her OJT. We currently have a mbr attached base side from CER doing his OJT Package. His unit cannot provide the required training and they just sent him to another base for 4 months to complete training that we cannot provide. A memo will also get written reply that could be used to address higher or for a redress in the future if they are truly hindering his/her mandatory training.

The current QL4 OJT Package for the WFE Trade is 4000 hours (Very detailed) or 2 years before being placed on the QL 5. Space dependent.

His/he best source(s) of info might very well be the Occupation Specifications document for their trade and the OJT Package documents.  I know in one of my former MOCs (ATIS Tech), the QL3 OJT package documents lay down the ways and means the OJTP is to be completed.  Example, it states in it that the mbr shall not be delayed in completing the OJTP to complete non-trade taskings, etc and some other stuff like that.  I have a friend that was not getting his package completed/signatures signed off and I pointed him to the OJTP documents.  It worked for him at his unit, it might not do anything but piss off the CoC for the person you are referring to.  *Know your audience*.

I would also suggest the mbr in question exercise some caution.  If his/her CoC is aware and trying, that is sometimes the best they can do.  Pissing everyone off might just result in a whole lot of doors being shut in their face.

Thanks for all your input.

I'm almost certain I've seen somewhere a document stipulating that after graduating QL3, member had a certain time frame to complete an OJT (QL4) package. Once completed, member's name would then be submitted for course loading to QL5.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

...sure does.  When I OT'd, and I met my SGT. for the first time it was one of the first things he said to me. " OK, we've got to move fast and get you qualified on this that etc, so we can get you done in under 18 months".

I was able to, but I see lots of people who don't get it done in 18 months.  I'm pretty sure there is no penalty to the member, but perhaps the supervisors may have some explaining to do.

COD

Some OJTPs have a specific time limit. Mine was 18 months or 750 flying hours, whichever came first. That is a deadline for the OJTP.....not for being loaded the next career course.

Unless someone shows me policy (hasent happened yet in my career) that says a member who OT'ed must be QL5A by 18 months, i think some people are confusing things a bit.

right on.......you have 18 months to get your 4's done..  Not necessarily to be loaded on 5's within a set time frame.

If the person the OP is talking about is an OT, and they refer to their VOT Offer message, they might see something like this (taken from my VOT Offer Msg):

ALTHOUGH THE CF WILL MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO HAVE THE CANDIDATE FORMALLY TRAINED AND QUALIFIED IN THE NEW MOSID AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, THERE IS ALWAYS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE NECESSARY FORMAL TRAINING MIGHT HAVE TO BE DELAYED FOR REASONS BEYOND THE CONTROL OF DMCARM 7/ISS

I think they should remove that paragraph as it gives a false impression to people. No one even remotely "made every possible effort" to get my  paperwork squared away to get on a course.

meni0n said:
I think they should remove that paragraph as it gives a false impression to people. No one even remotely "made every possible effort" to get my  paperwork squared away to get on a course.

What paperwork is that ?

If you say "security clearance"..............

CDN, I already got a lvl 3 but need a caveat added to it. No one in Kingston initiated any paperwork, which they were supposed to do. I don't even think they knew I existed. I just landed into a black hole for about 4 months.

Back