• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WEAPONS TECHNICIAN - LAND

I've been reading through the thread and it's been great! I'm currently a reserve clerk and when I finish up in school I'm considering going reg force weapons tech. It was my first choice, but I joined a unit with no weapons tech. So here I am, working with the clerks. (Not too bad a job, I just miss working with tools!) Would anyone have any information on if it's difficult transfering to reg force weapons tech from reserve clerk? Might be a little off topic and for that I apologize. Thank you everyone for the information so far.

I've done quite a bit of reading both on the CF recruiting website and on these forums about the Weapons Technician Land trade. I want to join the reserves next year and I was looking for an exciting trade, one that is very different from my current career path of journalist. I have read an old thread about Weapons Techs, but I would like to ask a few questions of my own. How long is the training, and is it available during summer? I know that the reg force applicants go to Borden for 8 months, but I simply do not have the time to spare. Also, how is the work? I guess I could refer to myself as a weapons enthusiast, maybe not an expert, but definitely interested. I have heard stories of Weapons Techs working on nothing but Coleman lanterns. If I become a Weapons Technician, I would like to actually work on some weapons!  ;)  I'm currently in the Air Cadets, so I'm not worried about the usual boot polishing, drill etc. but I do want to make sure that I don't sign up for a trade that won't interest me. Finally, I must admit that I have never had in-depth training with mechanics, machinery, etc. I took a grade 9 shop class last year, but we didn't do much. As for my academic success, I get mid 80's to mid 90's with not much effort, and if I actually put some effort into it I can do much better. If anybody has any advice, or stories, etc. please share, anything is appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon

Lanterns, stoves, bicycles, changing combos on safes, and other small tricks to the trade, along with weapons of course, and they come from  small to large.

There is more to a WTL than weapons, and we must remember we are soldiers first and tradies second.

Arte et Marte.

OWDU.

Thanks for the reply, anybody else have anything to contribute?

As a reserve Wpn tech, you will only work with small arms.  These would include the C7 family (5.56mm rifle); C9 (5.56mm belt-fed machine gun); C6 (7.62mm belt-fed machine gun) and Browning pistol (9mm). 

Training would consist of Basic Military Qualification followed by Soldier Qualification (BMQ and SQ), which are generally offered on a part-time basis in the Sept-May timeframe.

Your training as a weapons tech would be delviered at CFSEME in Borden.  The Reserve course is divided into two modules, which last a combined total of approximately 2 1/2 months.  You can do them back to back; however, if you are not available for the full training period, you can do one module a year

More information on individual training is available on the LFCA website.  http://www.army.gc.ca/LFCA_IT/individual_training_e.asp

Thanks, that helps a lot!  :) Any more comments, stories, suggestions, etc. are very much appreciated!

Edit: I had a look at the course list, and like you said it looks like I can do both modules of my QL3 over the summer. Do I have to do QL5, or is that just advanced training? I don't know if I could be training during my school year... School is my number 1 priority right now, followed by Cadets/Reserves (if I join reserves, it will become Number 2 instead of Cadets).

QL5 is an advanced course - you generalll wouldn't take it until you had a bit more experience.  It would give more depth of knowledge.  Other courses that would follow QL5 include PLQ (a leadership course) QL6A (a common technicians course, needed for promotion to Sgt), and ILQ and ALQ (needed for promotion to WO and MWO, respectively).  HOwever, those would all be far in the future.  Other optional courses would also be there, including a Driver course.

Timings for courses is the key.  For new enrolees, the sequence is set in stone:  BMQ followed by SQ followed by QL3 part 1 followed by QL3 part 2.  If your BMQ ends late, pushing you into a later SQ, pushing you into the later QL3 mod 1 start, and school (college or university) starts early, you may be unable to complete your mod 2 in the first year.

As well, courses are sometimes cancelled or rescheduled, due to a lack of students or lack of staff.

Thanks, and I doubt that I'll even get to QL5. I don't think I'll stay in the reserves for over 5 years, but it depends on a lot of things. I may not have the time during university or when I get a job after university. This info is really helpful though, and I still invite anyone to share any new info or stories they may have.

Well looks like this threads been dead for a while so i think i'll try to give it some jam.

I was lookin at going in for weapons tech so i got a question.  Do they just spend thier whole career in the shop fixing things after basic or do you get to have some fun doing combat training and the like.

Conscript said:
Well looks like this threads been dead for a while so i think i'll try to give it some jam.

I was lookin at going in for weapons tech so i got a question.  Do they just spend thier whole career in the shop fixing things after basic or do you get to have some fun doing combat training and the like.

Soldiers first, and tradies second.

You'll learn the basic soldier skills like anyone else, and do the generic duties such as sentry and gun pit duties, along with other shared taskings such as GD in field kitchens etc.

Its not all workshop (field and garrison), there can be FRTs and recoveries in some rather intense situations, plus range work too.

Then there is garrison duties and responsibilites too.

Try ditching the 'MSN speak' before someone craps on you for doing so.

Arte et marte

OWDU

Former 421

Eowyn said:
I don't believe so, because I don't think the MP5 is part of the Army's arsenal.  Of course I could be wrong.

You are quite correct. The MP5 is currently used by the Navies boarding parties and our SOCOM community. It is not a front line land forces weapon.  Wpns Tech (L) do not train on the MP5 during QL3 or QL5, maybe on the QL6 as a foreign small arm. Te meat and potatoes of our trade are the C7 family, the C9 family and the C6 family, as they are the primary shooters in our inventory. Regular force techs get trained on the LAV III 25MM Bushmaster chaingun, and the C3 Howitzer, as well as the TLAV 1 meter turret.

Any special systems are taught as OSQs ( Occupational Specialty Qualifications) such as the Leopard 1 &2, the M777 Light Howitzer, the LG1 105mm Howitzer, security containers, and any remote weapons stations found on armour.

I hope this answers any questions you have.

gun runner said:
You are quite correct. The MP5 is currently used by the Navies boarding parties and our SOCOM community. It is not a front line land forces weapon.  Wpns Tech (L) do not train on the MP5 during QL3 or QL5, maybe on the QL6 as a foreign small arm. Te meat and potatoes of our trade are the C7 family, the C9 family and the C6 family, as they are the primary shooters in our inventory. Regular force techs get trained on the LAV III 25MM Bushmaster chaingun, and the C3 Howitzer, as well as the TLAV 1 meter turret.

Any special systems are taught as OSQs ( Occupational Specialty Qualifications) such as the Leopard 1 &2, the M777 Light Howitzer, the LG1 105mm Howitzer, security containers, and any remote weapons stations found on armour.

I hope this answers any questions you have.

As he posted the statement Aug 2004. He probably has his answer by now. That's two necroposts back to back you've had ;) You may want to look at post dates before you respond or resurrect a thread. A quick check of the posters profile will also tell you how active a poster is or whether they are still active at all.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hello all,

So I signed up for Weapons Tech - Land with Reg force and I had some questions that I could not find on the website.

- How much of knowledge do I need to have on mechanics, electricals, and hydraulics beforehand?

-Does the training at CF Borden start from basic or intermediate?

-What is the life as a Weapons Tech like? Is it working in the shop always or do they join combat training with infantry?

This question is bit off topic but,
-How is the opportunity of continuing education during service years?

Your time and experiences are much appreciated.

Hojung said:
-What is the life as a Weapons Tech like? Is it working in the shop always or do they join combat training with infantry?

You will do BMQ(L) which is a bit of an intro level course to the machine guns, section attacks, etc.  As for will you be out on patrol fighting alongside the Infantry? No.  The closest you will come, from what I've seen is being in a MRT(or is it only Veh Techs?) rolling with a Combat Team.

Weapon Techs when posted to an Infantry Battalion are part of Maint Platoon within the Administration Company. When the Battalion goes into the field, if Admin Coy goes out they stay in the main biv site/FOB(whatever term you want) and will only go out if required, ie a LAV has a issue with the cannon, checking out weapons if theres a ND, etc.  Again this is just what I've seen.

Wpns Techs roll with the echelon in Tank Sqns. If the Sqn is attached to a Inf Coy to form a Cbt Tm, the Sqn Wpns Tech will support the Cbt Tm, along with his EO Tech MRT partner and the Sqn LCIS Tech. The only capability the Inf Coy usually brings is a Veh MRT.

And while in Garrison, the Wpns/EO/LCIS/Veh Techs belong to their SABRE Sqn, unless manning dictates centralized maint. This is how the LdSH(RC) are configured presently for maint assets. As for the lighter equipped Regts, I don't know how they man their echelons.

Hope this helps.

Hi I am interested in joining the CF as a weapons tech and had a few questions
What are deployments like? Do I go into combat at all? If yes, how often?

smacausland said:
I am interested in joining the CF as a weapons tech and had a few questions

These may help.

Weapons Tech - Land
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/100991.0
"Is it working in the shop always or do they join combat training with infantry?"

WEAPONS TECHNICIAN - LAND 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17682.0

Reserve Weapon tech
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106019.0

Reserves Weapons Tech 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/19296.0

Tell Me about MOC 421 Land(Weapon Tech)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13435.0

question about being a weapons technicians in the reserves 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/102129.0

Weapons Technician - Land
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/92501.0

Weapons technician land 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106782.0

I have been seriously considering joining the forces as a FT weapons Tech (land) and have watched the videos and read all the threads on here that i could find. Ive gained a lot of information on the career but i still have a couple unanswered questions and was hoping some FT Wep Techs could answer.

1. How often do reg Wep Techs actually get to test fire the weapons they are fixing?

2. How often are you actually working on weapons rather then stoves/lamps and other misc items?

Thanks for your time.

1. Test firing is part of your serviceability checks, technically all weapons that undergo modification/repair to critical components must be test fired before returning it to the holding unit to ensure it is functioning properly.

2. Weapons are worked on before and after ranges, major exercises, during Annual technical inspections, and when ever a work order it raised. The amount you are working on weapons also depends on if your posted to a first line or second line unit. Stoves, lanterns and such are 90% of the time first line tasks, so if your posted to a second line unit following your training expect weapons most of the time. That said stoves and lanterns become very important come winter, and you and your buddies will want them working. Non-weapon stuff sucks when you join to fix guns but its part of the trade, we can't be working on LAV's all the time.

hope this helps

i enlisted as a weapon tech and i start MBQ in one month and i talk to a guy in the infantry and he told me that you will get to see some action and you are not far behind the infantry wich i found very cool and an other guy in the infantry told me that i will be a POG and that i will stay in the base and that i will never go to the field and that is my worst nighmare because i wanted to go infantry but it was full so i went weapon tech so my question..... as a weapon tech will i see some action and go out of the base or will i stay indoor eating warm food????? sorry for my english im french

Back