• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Western Canada Reserve Military Police Questions

RedcapCrusader said:
Military Police Officers are more of an administrator. Yes you will learn how to use a C7 and a Sig P225, however your training will be focussed on management, planning, and organization. Pros: you get paid slightly more once you're a qualified MPO Cons: you do more paperwork and less of the cool stuff like most officers in any trade.

As a reservist, you'll be part of a Field Unit, and the focus is not on the Policing side but more of the augmenting combat units, vehicle checkpoints, force and close protection, Prisoner/Detainee handling, base security and defence. As a Res MPO you may learn some of the following, but may not get to implement it unless you are deployed or tasked to the Reg Force.

You will not necessarily get to patrol, or conduct investigations; as an MPO is much like an Inspector or a Superintendent of a civilian police force, they just make sure all the rights steps are being taken, nobody's rights are being violated, evidence is protected etc.

And the big thing for potential reserve MPs to remember is they will have no badge and no peace officer status unless they qualify for and eventually take the necessary reg force MP training AND get employed on a Class B or C tasking requiring that status.

MPO's still have an opportunity to get their feet wet - Some of my friends who are Reg Force MPO's are doing some very interesting work. As an MPO you get to have some influence as to how the operations unfold. Depending what your end goal is both officer and NCO can be very satisfying.

Thank you ladies and gents for all your input...I guess my next question is how different Res MPO duties and Reg Force MPO duties are...aside from above-mentioned non-policing/policing aspect of it all...I apologize in advance I may not be understanding smth due to being a complete NOOB to all this lol

I am currently a peace officer in Alberta so no stranger to paperwork, however if for the most part Ill be doing admin stuff as a res. MPO-Id rather go NCM...because I would like to do a tour or participate in some other fun/cool things like CP etc.

geegee said:
Thank you ladies and gents for all your input...I guess my next question is how different Res MPO duties and Reg Force MPO duties are...aside from above-mentioned non-policing/policing aspect of it all...I apologize in advance I may not be understanding smth due to being a complete NOOB to all this lol

I am currently a peace officer in Alberta so no stranger to paperwork, however if for the most part Ill be doing admin stuff as a res. MPO-Id rather go NCM...because I would like to do a tour or participate in some other fun/cool things like CP etc.

With the RegF you would most likely being doing more admin than as a ResF MPO. That's just with my own observation. We have a a couple 2Lts and a Captain whom have, as reflected by ResMP, done some interesting stuff and participated in some of the nitty gritty down and dirty stuff. That said however, as an Officer, your duties will first and foremost be leadership and administrative; the rest will be secondary.

You still have the opportunity to deploy as an MPO, however it would likely be in something like running an Intelligence Section, or the 2IC of a Detention Centre.

RedcapCrusader said:
With the RegF you would most likely being doing more admin than as a ResF MPO. That's just with my own observation. We have a a couple 2Lts and a Captain whom have, as reflected by ResMP, done some interesting stuff and participated in some of the nitty gritty down and dirty stuff. That said however, as an Officer, your duties will first and foremost be leadership and administrative; the rest will be secondary.

You still have the opportunity to deploy as an MPO, however it would likely be in something like running an Intelligence Section, or the 2IC of a Detention Centre.
thank you!!!
definitely lots to think about...I have another info session to attend in the upcoming week at my city's MP detachment...definitely have alot more questions and "what if" scenarios to ask the recruiters :)
Thank you very much!

geegee said:
...I guess my next question is how different Res MPO duties and Reg Force MPO duties are...aside from above-mentioned non-policing/policing aspect of it all...I apologize in advance I may not be understanding smth due to being a complete NOOB to all this lol

I case you have not yet seen it, there is a Military Police Branch forum ( including a Super-thread ) you may find helpful.
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/board,54.0.html

NinerSix said:
Why do you want to be a reserve Military Police Officer?
whats your emphasis on?
reserve? or MP? lol
reserve...because I have a F/T peace officer job in Calgary
MP...because I wanna be able to serve my country and if I enjoy the trade I will switch to F/T so I can still enjoy the law enforcement side to that job

geegee said:
whats your emphasis on?
reserve? or MP? lol
MP...because I wanna be able to serve my country and if I enjoy the trade I will switch to F/T so I can still enjoy the law enforcement side to that job

The officer part.

Sit Rep: 1 MP Regt is looking for new members. Occupational Transfers and New Recruits are welcome to apply. The future looks bright in terms of opportunity for the MP Reserve.

There is lots of discussion underway at the highest levels in terms of how to best employ Reserve Members including positions on specialty courses (CP, Air Marshall, etc) and the Reg Force QL 3. To be clear - they will not be handing out special opportunities to anyone and everyone - time in, maturity, and Res MP QL5 will be important factors.

This said you will need to get started soonest - so shoot me a PM and we can get the ball rolling.

ResMP said:
There is lots of discussion underway at the highest levels in terms of how to best employ Reserve Members including positions on specialty courses (CP, Air Marshall, etc)

That is encouraging news for potential MP Reservists,

Anakha said:
And Reserves are not eligible for the Air Marshal program.

NinerSix said:
And the Air Marshall has been offered to members of the reserve. Not sure if anyone has submitted an application or was even sent for the assessment.

I read this in Close Protection Training ( if it is still current? )
3. CPAC IS OPEN TO MP 00161 AND MPO 00214 WHO MEET THE FOL PRE-REQS:
A. REG F OR RES F MP OF THE RK OF CPL TO MWO
B. REG F OR RES F MPO OF THE RK OF MAJ AND BELOW
C. MOS ID QUAL
D. DOCS IAW CP SELECTION APPLIC:
E. RES F PERS MUST BE AVAL FOR UP TO 6 MO DEPL DURING A 3 YR LIABILITY PD FOL SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF CP TRG AND REG F PERS BE AVAL FOR SHORT AND MED DURATION TASKS ON REASONABLE NOTICE. THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE A RES F EMPLOY CONTRACT.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/35757.175.html
Reply #175

Military Police train for VIP Aircraft Security Detail
https://www.aviation.ca/201001298395/news/canada/military/8395-military-police-train-for-vip-aircraft-security-detail
"The air marshals, members of the VIP Aircraft Security Detail, are responsible for providing security to Canadian Forces aircraft, crew and passengers – passengers who may include the Governor General, the Prime Minister and members of the Royal Family."

To my knowledge, and I am somewhat in touch with CP world, obviously there are others out there with more up to date info, but at present the CP selection and trg is limited to Military Police Reg and Reserve. The Branch is working diligently to select, train and sustain an appropriate number Close Protection qualified so that they can meet the demands of current and future operations.

Air Marshall - I have put my application in the past and was advised it was open to Reserve. I cannot say that it is open to Reserve as CP is, however I have been given every indication that it is being considered. There is discussion on allocating a certain number of positions for Reserve members on each course. This has been relayed to me by various command levels. Having been in the PRes since 91 - this is a very positive step from my perspective.

The glass is half full.

This just in .... 1 MP Regt is conducting a Staff Check for a Reg Force QL 3 for those who are MP Qualified. This said you need to be sworn in and trained to take advantage! PM me if you are interested in joining. The glass ... or shall I say the mag ...is half full.

This just in - 1 MP Regt - Western Canada (Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Victoria) is accepting applicants (NCM)

Grade 12 with the intent of attending Secondary School

Class 5 drivers licence.

Area recruiting centres may not be up to speed yet - so please send your interest to me.

Pls ask you questions via forum as opposed to PM as many of you are asking the same stuff.

Thanks!

What night do reserve MP's parade in Calgary and where? Also do you need to be enrolled in a secondary school to be accepted?

I'm currently working as a peace officer, would that be accepted?

Thanks

markalark said:
What night do reserve MP's parade in Calgary and where? Also do you need to be enrolled in a secondary school to be accepted?

I'm currently working as a peace officer, would that be accepted?

Thanks

PM sent

geegee said:
whats your emphasis on?
reserve? or MP? lol

Disregard, I saw you've already applied.

Good day,

I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend in regards to MP(Res).  Can anyone confirm if Calgary still has platoon, and if so who is the contact for recruiting.  The interested party is currently a serving LE member within AB.

Thanks in advance.

Back