• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What it was like in the 70s?

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
Britney Spears said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I had lugged a C1 around in the field. All these weapons were withdrawn before I was born(I think). I have thrown around the C1/C2 civvy side and during foreign weapons lectures only.

Also, as I understand the infantry stopped using the footborne C5 somewhat earlier than the Armd, who continued to use it on vehicles for quite some time. ?

I carried the C1 on my basic and shot poorly with it.  I do believe BS is correct when he says a C7 with bayonet and sight weighs about the same as a loaded C1.

As for the 70s, I don't know how I lived without the Internet.  I mean seriously, I have no clue what I did with my time.

I remember the family TV having 13 channels and having to get up to change them. And rotary dial phones.  They kinda sucked.

My Grade 5 teacher had a shirt with Commonwealth Games logos all over it, I believe Edmonton hosted them in the mid 70s, and the Eskimos moved to Commonwealth Stadium from...I can't even remember the name of the old stadium they played at.

Guy Lafleur and Bobby Orr and Ken Dryden.

According to world.guns.ru, FN FAL weights 4.45kg empty, compared to 3.77kg for M16A2. Add ~1 kg for the C79 sight, no bayonet needed.

Britney,

Some of us preferred the 30 rd mags of the C2 (over the 20 rd mag of the C1) which contributed to the weight when having to lug a weapon and extra mags around. We also used lots of gun oil on the wooden stocks (during cleaning back then) that may have contributed to the weight factor, just kidding on that one!

Mind you carrying a C-1 or a C-2 around was definitely ligther than carrying a C-7 with sight , bayonett, mag light and lazer pointer and what ever else fell of the kit whores truck.
Plus we only had to wear our uniforms with webbing and a ruck....not loaded down with Zap Straps, GPS, laptops, discmans, mountain stoves and the like, camel packs and Timmies mugs.

So in reality we were much lighter back then, in more ways than one.... ;D

For some odd reason, we were taught the C1 weighed 10 lbs 8 oz, and the C2 was 15.4 pounds.  Both loaded.  When CAMT 7-51 was replaced by CFP whatever, they said 11 pounds for the C1. The wood must have absorbed 20 years of sweat, or the first weight was with an "S" butt, the second with an "XL" butt (just kidding).

Back