• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What you need to know to sail in the ORCAs

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
From this week's Lookout http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/archive/20070226/Lookout_Newspaper_8.07.pdf

Navy Public Affairs
Last November, Orca 55, the first of eight new Patrol Craft Training (PCT) ships, was formally accepted
into the Canadian Navy’s Pacific Fleet.

PCT ships replace the YAG 300 class woodenhulled tenders that have served the Canadian Navy in a
training role for more than 50 years.

Now alongside in its temporary berth at B Jetty, Orca is generating much interest among members of the
naval community, particularly from the three primary user groups: Venture, the Naval Officers Training
Centre (NOTC); Naval Reserve Divisions (NRD); and the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets (RCSC).

Many people are curious as to how Maritime Operations Group Four (MOG4) intends to qualify personnel
to operate them, and how the ships will be employed.

Recently, Orca completed its Sea Readiness Inspection by Sea Training Pacific (Minor War Vessel). The ship
is currently conducting local area operations in order to develop standard operating procedures.

Orca will be available for training operations on April 1 and the next PCT ship Raven 56 should be available
on May 14. While all three user groups will have access to the new ships, NOTC has priority to meet its
training schedule.

Victoria Shipyards recently accelerated the production of the PCTs and the navy may have all eight ships by
the summer of 2008.

The first three ships, Orca, Raven and Caribou, come with an Initial Cadre Training (ICT) package that is taught
by the ship’s contractor. Written to Naval Qualification Standard and Plan requirements, the first ICT occurred
from Oct. 25 to Nov. 3, 2006. The training included a week of classroom and on board familiarization followed
followed by a week of day sails. The initial ICT was a “train the trainer” opportunity involving personnel from
MOG4 Naval Tender Section (NTS), NOTC, and Canadian Forces Fleet School Esquimalt (CFFSE). Representatives
from NOTC and CFFS(E) are now busy fine tuning the ICT documents and developing the material for then Steady
State Class Training Package.

The second ICT session was Feb. 5 to16 and the third will be in May. The Directorate of Maritime Training and
Education loaded the February course, and will soon solicit nominations from Naval Reserve Divisions for the May
course. Naval Reserve Headquarters will coordinate the selection for these positions based on nomination messages
from individual units.

Early experience with the new ships has determined they require a minimum crew of five qualified personnel. Three
must be PCT qualified/endorsed. The Officer-in-Charge (OIC), Engineer and Chief Boatswain’s Mate (Buffer), all
must complete PCT familiarization training (ICT or navy steady state) and be endorsed by MOG4/Canadian Fleet
Pacific Engineering Staff, as applicable. The remaining two members of the crew must be NETP/O qualified as a minimum.

To be eligible for the PCT familiarization trainings OIC, Regular and Reserve Force Maritime Surface (MARS) Officers
require their Bridge Watchkeeping Certificate. PCT qualification will be granted once the candidate passes the MOG4
practical assessment (and a formal Tender Command Board for those who have not already done so for YAGs).

As with the current tenders, a Boatswain, QL6A or equivalent, may gain PCT endorsement as OIC after completing
42 days at sea in a Tender; 14 as 2 I/C and the same familiarization training, practical assessment and board as
the MARS Officer.

Officers of the Cadet Instructor Cadre (CIC) who are Tender C o m m a n d / C h a r g e qualified are eligible for the
PCT Familiarization training as OIC. PCT qualification will be granted once the candidate passes the MOG4 practical
assessment (and a formal Tender Command Board for those who have not already done so for YAGs).

Non Tender Charge/ Command CIC Officers, may gain PCT endorsement as OIC after completing the Tender OIC
course and 42 days at sea in a Tender, 14 as 2 I/C and the same PCT familiarization training, practical assessment
and board.

To be the Engineer in a PCT, Reserve Marine Engineering Systems Operators (MESO) will need their B Ticket and
must complete the PCT familiarization training package and pass an F44 (CANFLTPAC MWV Technical Staff)
Qualification Board.

The PCT Chief Boatswain Mate will need their Boatswain QL5A equivalent and must complete the PCT familiarization-
training package. To be considered PCT qualified, the candidate must pass a practical demonstration to the NTS
Chief-in-Charge or their delegated representative (normally the NTS Buffer) of their PCT specific seamanship skills
including safe operation of the hydraulic crane.

Naval Tender Section will supply a qualified engineer for all sea cadet trips. The engineer will be responsible to the
OIC for all technical matters. Sea cadet engineers will work under the supervision of the NTS engineer. NTS will also
supply a qualified Chief Boatswain Mate for all sea cadet trips. The Chief Boatswain Mate will be responsible to the
OIC for the safety of allseamanship evolutions, including operation of the crane.

It is expected that the navy’s Steady State Class Training Package for OICs, engineers and boatswains will commence
in the fall of 2007 or early in 2008. CIC Officers, Naval Reservists, and Regular Force members will be free to apply for
or be nominated for positions on the OIC, engineer, or boatswain familiarization courses, as appropriate, through their
chain of command. CFFS(E) and NOTC Venture are the responsible training establishments for the courses and will
promulgate course nomination and loading messages based on operational priorities.

The additional speed, range and on board facilities of the PCT allows for a wider area of operations than the about to
be retired YAGs. With accommodation for 20 personnel and excellent onboard facilities, the PCTs are well equipped for
their primary training role. The ships have an Integrated Control Platform System for ship control and monitoring and
a sophisticated integrated navigation and electronic chart display and information system that is consistent with the system
already in service in the Kingston and Halifax Class ships.

In the future, a hydrodynamic model of the PCT will be incorporated into the Bridge Simulator at the Naval Officer Training
Centre (NOTC). That willallow OIC candidates to practice ship handling prior to challenging the OIC practical assessment,
should they wish to do so.

Additional information is available on the MOG4 website under the heading “Orca”.

I am in the middle of NETP-O training in Esquimalt and we just found out that for the sea phase of the course we will be taking out two ORCAs and a YAG.

Part of me wants to sail in the new ORCAs so I can go back to my unit and brag about them but another part of me wants to sail the YAGs before they are taken away...after all during MARS III and IV I will get a chance to sail the ORCAs.

Anyone else in the same boat here?

ejames said:
Part of me wants to sail in the new ORCAs so I can go back to my unit and brag about them but another part of me wants to sail the YAGs before they are taken away...after all during MARS III and IV I will get a chance to sail the ORCAs.

You'll have the rest of your life to sail in comfy ships like ORCAs.  Get some YAG time in while it's still there to be had: open bridges (probably the last ones in NATO), a real messdeck, and food cooked on a stove as old as your parents, and navigating by pencil and paper.  THAT's something to brag about!

(Seriously -- it's an opportunity I encourage you to take if you get the chance.)

As someone who is probably one of the last to experience the BAY class PB open bridge for MARS III, I would recommend taking the YAG for summer training.  You'll get a chance to experience an open bridge and to develop some basic bridgemanship free from all the electronic crutches.  It's good to learn to rely on the Mark I Eye Ball as your basic situational awareness tool!

I have had the fortune to sail on both class of vessel, and although the Orca has all the bells and whistles, at the end of the day, when you get to MARS III and from there on, it's all about "Heads-up" Navigation. On Orca, there is evry new piece of technology imaginable, and in the sims there is radar and "binoculars" (a computer screen on which you can zoom in on things) - but at the end of the day you end up looking like a fool and the staff let you know it when you get caught staring at a screen mumbling about how something dosen't quite look right when there is a ship or a rock just outside the window that you have yet to notice.

Keep your head up and you'll do fine irregardless of which you end up on...and don't forget - evrything else on a bridge is meerly a tool to backup the old "Mark 1 Eyeball" (get used to hearing that too!)

Best of luck!

A couple of ORCA training updates for those interested:

SUBJ: COURSE SOLICITATION - ORCA OIC CLASS PACKAGE SESSION 0001
REF A.CCFP 099 070052Z DEC 07 - WARNING ORDER ORCA MANNING
B. MARPACHQ ESQUIMALT 5323-1 072341Z JAN 08 - ORCA CLASS MANNING
C. ORCA OIC CLASS PACKAGE - QUALIFICATION STANDARD AND PLAN
1. TRAINING FOR THE OFFICER-IN-CHARGE QUALIFICATION ORCA CLASS
VESSELS WILL BE HELD ONBOARD PCT 55 (ORCA) AT B JETTY, 7-18 APR 08.
EMBEDDED SEA PHASE (DAYSAILING ONLY) WILL TAKE PLACE ONBOARD PCT 55
AND PCT 56, 14-18 APR 08
2. DEPENDING UPON INDIVIDUAL QUALS HELD, ON COMPLETION OF THIS CRSE
ALL OR PART OF THE FOL WILL BE REQUIRED FOR A CANDIDATE TO BECOME
FULLY ORCA OIC QUALIFIED:
A. A TWO WEEK CONSOLIDATION PERIOD AT SEA
B. AN ORAL BOARD CHAIRED BY MOG4 CBTO (TO INCLUDE ASSESSMENT IN
NABS), C. A PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT AT SEA BY MOG4 DCOMD
3. PRIORITY FOR COURSE LOADING WILL BE: MAJOR CFP UNITS, OTHER
MARPAC PERS, AND NAVAL RESERVE PERS FROM NRDS
4. PREREQUISITES:
A. FIT SEA/ALONGSIDE
B. BWK QUALIFIED
5. NAMES SUBMITTED PREVIOUSLY VIA MSG FROM INDIVIDUAL SHIPS WILL BE
GIVEN PRIORITY
6. MAX LOADING IS 10 PERS
7 NOMINATIONS ARE TO BE SENT TO: MARPACHQ ESQUIMALT//J12-1-1//, INFO
NOTC ESQUIMALT

SUBJ: COURSE SOLICITATION - ORCA OIC CLASS PACKAGE - 117306
REF: A.CCFP 099 070052Z DEC 07 WARNING ORDER ORCE MANNING
B. MARPACHQ J12-1-1 2122 221839Z FEB 08 CRS SOLICITATION OIC PKG
1. AS PER NAVRES POLICY AND BECAUSE REF A STATES THAT PERS SELECTED
ARE TO BE FULLY EMPLOYABLE FOR THE SPRING/SUMMER 08 TRG PERIOD ALL
NAVRES PERSONNAL NOMINATIONS FOR SUBJ COURS (REF B) ARE BE SUBMITED
TO NAVRESHQ N11-2. A CONSOLIDATED AND CM APPROVED NOMINATION MSG WILL
THEN BE SUBMITED BY NAVRESHQ TO MARPACHQ
2. DATES: 7 - 18 APR 08
3. SESSION: 0001
4. LOCATION: NOTC VENTURE
5. LANGUAGE: ENG
6. PRE-REQUISITES: A. FIT SEA/ALONGSIDE
B. BWK QUALIFIED

Question (ref 2B): How do they do an assessment in NABS without an ORCA model?

Second Question (ref 2A): What is considered Two weeks consolidation? Is it acting OIC? XO? Or just Orca Charge? Can pers who've completed both NETPO and MARS III in ORCAs qualify as having had two weeks? (I think I know the answer... just curious)

Love the look of those little beauties. As one who spent MARS training in Minesweepers, YFPs and YAGs I would say there's a lot of romantic nonsense about open bridges. I can remember a particularily cruel, stormy night on the bridge of HMCS Chignecto (sweeper) trying to keep my Nav notebook, charts and everything else dry while peering out through my raincovered spectacles to see if I could see anything at all. Not fun!! I remember thinking how much pain this would have been during the Second World War on convoy duty in the North Atlantic (way colder and rougher) with the added problem of an ever present enemy who enjoyed diving below the weather when it suited him.

Does the ORCA mean the end to young subbies feeding the fishes from a YAG at W601?  ;D

Good2Golf said:
Does the ORCA mean the end to young subbies feeding the fishes from a YAG at W601?  ;D

Wow that would be a little rough taking a Yag out there. We usually went to Friday Harbour and the Gulf Island flesh pots and terrorized the Legion Halls at night!! ;D

Cronicbny said:
Question (ref 2B): How do they do an assessment in NABS without an ORCA model?

I'd speculate that they use something else with similar handling characteristics.  I understand that they used to use a model of some sort of small ferry from Japan to simulate a YAG.  The staff at the time felt that it was a pretty good match.  (They might still use it, for that matter.)

Prior to our MARS III sea phase they put us in those ferries in NABS... they're not even close. I suppose the point is to practise handling a small ship, but the ORCAs drive more like a speedboat than a conventional ship (they heel inwards on turns throughout). I'd love to get my "hands" on the ORCA model when it's done :)

See latest edition of Maple Leaf.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/mapleleaf/article_e.asp?id=4543

I'm just curious about the OIC training as it relates to CIC officers.  Isn't a BWK certificate required for this type of training and isn't this only attainable by MARS qualified officers?

Snakedoc said:
I'm just curious about the OIC training as it relates to CIC officers.  Isn't a BWK certificate required for this type of training and isn't this only attainable by MARS qualified officers?
Tender Qualified and BWK are different qualifications.
BWK holders still are required to be ORCA endorsed to drive the new PCTs
You can be Tender Qualified without having a BWK.  NCMs may be Tender Qualified. 

As with the current tenders, a Boatswain, QL6A or equivalent, may gain PCT endorsement as OIC after completing
42 days at sea in a Tender; 14 as 2 I/C and the same familiarization training, practical assessment and board as
the MARS Officer.

Officers of the Cadet Instructor Cadre (CIC) who are Tender C o m m a n d / C h a r g e qualified are eligible for the
PCT Familiarization training as OIC. PCT qualification will be granted once the candidate passes the MOG4 practical
assessment (and a formal Tender Command Board for those who have not already done so for YAGs).

Non Tender Charge/ Command CIC Officers, may gain PCT endorsement as OIC after completing the Tender OIC
course and 42 days at sea in a Tender, 14 as 2 I/C and the same PCT familiarization training, practical assessment
and board.

Everyone is trained to the same standard.

Thanks for the info gwp!

I'm not familiar with the tender charge qualification, I did a search but did not find much info on the forums or the internet.  Is the training similar to that required for a MARS officer but focused for a smaller vessel?  Are the same/similar procedures followed for bridge control, navigation... and i'm assuming safety procedures like fire fighting and damage (flood) control?

Just curious but is there a OOD qualification required for the ORCA's?

Snakedoc said:
I'm not familiar with the tender charge qualification, I did a search but did not find much info on the forums or the internet.  Is the training similar to that required for a MARS officer but focused for a smaller vessel?  Are the same/similar procedures followed for bridge control, navigation... and i'm assuming safety procedures like fire fighting and damage (flood) control?

That's about right.  The Tender Charge course consists of the bulk of MARS III, plus about a week's worth of FF&DC and sea survival. 

Tender Charge also have some limitations that Tender Command does not:

Link:
http://esquimalt.mil.ca/mog4/NTS/NTS%20Instructions%20to%20OIC.doc

4. Tender Charge OIC.  Personnel that have passed a Tender Charge Board in accordance with Annex G of Ref A may assume the duties of Officer-in-Command of a MOG 4 NTS vessel. Tender Charge OICs may operate NTS vessels in daylight hours with at least 2 NM visibility in the Tender Local Operating Area as defined in Ref  E and chapter 3 of these instructions.

Back