• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whats your oppinion on Cadets wearing maroon berets...

• Thread starter Thread starter D-n-A
  • Start date Start date

Maroon Berets

• Yes

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • NO

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully airborne soon said:
there are people serving in 3 PPCLI who wear green headdress, because they are not qualified...   only people who have the para course are allowed to wear the maroon beret.   they also get the white leaf...  

The MPs do that too, with the red beret only for qualified policemen.  AFAICT that wasn't the original intent of the beret in 1942-43. 

If you're not para qualified, how do you end up in a jump company?

logistics...  administration.. ect...  thats my point  you are in a jump company serving with current jump status when you wear the maroon beret.  no one else wears it in the regiment only the jump campany.  that is like haveing a cadet corps affiliated with a platoon/troop.  they are affiliated with the regiment.. and the entire regiment does not wear maroon berets.  the entire regiment of MP's all wear red berets.

Go back and read all the posts.  I got the impression that the cadets are affiliated with the defunct Canadian Airborne Regiment, not the jump companies, hence, the maroon beret is a unit identifier.  See the example of the corps still wearing the badges of the Winnipeg Grenadiers, which are no longer on the Army's order of battle.

logistics...   administration.. ect...   thats my point   you are in a jump company serving with current jump status when you wear the maroon beret.   no one else wears it in the regiment only the jump campany.    that is like haveing a cadet corps affiliated with a platoon/troop.   they are affiliated with the regiment.. and the entire regiment does not wear maroon berets.   the entire regiment of MP's all wear red berets.

Actually, not all MPs, airforce MPs don't wear red berets, they wear the air force blue one with a red patch behind the cap badge.

Cheers

Caz said:
It's been said before in the thread - Army Cadet units are entitled to wear the dress of their affiliated PRes and RegF unit, so if they are affiliated with a unit where everyone wears a maroon beret, then they are entitled.

Is that entirely true? The Army cadet Corps that was affiliated with my unit (1NSH) was allowed to wear our cap badge but they did not wear the balmoral, they wore the beret like all other Army Cadets I have seen and I never saw any of them in our dress uniform. Some of them did wear the tartan colours but I can not recall how it was worn (Sash maybe?)

If they do wear the maroon beret then I can sympathize with those who would be angry for if they had have been issued balmorals I would have been a sight puckered myself.

Cheers!

when i was a cadet i was affiliated with the essex and kent scottish, and we all wore the glengarys, balmorals, kilts  all the things the resiment wore we wore as well.  but that is a regiment not a platoon/unit/troop,,

scott1nsh said:
Is that entirely true? The Army cadet Corps that was affiliated with my unit (1NSH) was allowed to wear our cap badge but they did not wear the balmoral, they wore the beret like all other Army Cadets I have seen

Cheers!

This may have been a money thing.  I wore a beret as a Calgary Highlander cadet simply because there were only so many glengarries to go around.

Michael, was there anything, other than the beret, to distinguish you from a member of the Calgary Highlanders?

I was in the Air Cadets and it was very easy to see on our epaulets the word "cadet", we also wore the tri service cap badge. It sounds to me like the army cadets could get into a situation where they are dressed exactly the same as their Reg Force or Reserve affiliates and that could be trouble.

I should state that I believe 100% in the cadet system and used to enjoy showing the army cadets affiliated with my PRes unit some tricks with uniforms, boots, etc. I also liked offering guidance to the ones who were approaching the age where they may jump to the Reserves. I liked promoting the unit to them and was glad to have them when they came over.

Cheers!

Cadets don't wear CF DEUs, they have cadet uniforms, so as far as them looking like their reg/res counterparts, I doubt it, unless they're in combats but they still don't wear the same slip ons.  CICs on the other hand wear DEUs but they wear CIC accoutrements like collar dogs and cap badges.

scott1nsh said:
Michael, was there anything, other than the beret, to distinguish you from a member of the Calgary Highlanders?

I was in the Air Cadets and it was very easy to see on our epaulets the word "cadet", we also wore the tri service cap badge. It sounds to me like the army cadets could get into a situation where they are dressed exactly the same as their Reg Force or Reserve affiliates and that could be trouble.

I should state that I believe 100% in the cadet system and used to enjoy showing the army cadets affiliated with my PRes unit some tricks with uniforms, boots, etc. I also liked offering guidance to the ones who were approaching the age where they may jump to the Reserves. I liked promoting the unit to them and was glad to have them when they came over.

Cheers!

When I joined the pipe band, we had the same CF uniform as the militia, but we did wear the RCAC flash on both sleeves, as well as wearing bronze cap badges (or gold) instead of the silver badges the Regimental Pipes and Drums wore.  In full dress, there was little to distinguish, although cadets did wear cadet style rank chevrons, and eventually wore green doublets instead of red (for drummers).

The band is a bad example, though, because the cadets were employeed as augments to the Militia - ie were performing exactly the same duties.

Rank and file cadets wore the cadet uniform, or the DEU, with proper RCAC flashes, or dark green brassards in summer short sleeve order.

When the new DEU came in, the cadets kept the old style cutaways, so that was even more of a distinction.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Again, all I saw the Cadets wear when I was in the PRes was the hat badge and possibly a kerchief or sash comprised of our tartan colours.

Burrows, I believe I saw it around their necks. It has been so long now. I am almost certain that only their Warrant Officers wore the Glengarry and no one wore the Balmoral. I am almost certain that the kerchiefs, cap badges and Glengarrys were the only things related to my unit that they wore.

As I said, I was in the Air Cadets and we were never affiliated like this.

Cheers

I have just read this thread and would like to say that I WAS IN 3021 SMOKEY RIVER AIRBORNE ARMY CADET CORPS. My dad started it! I have to tell you that i took (and still do) graet pride in being alowwed by the regiment to wear that headdress. My dad when he atarted the corps wrote to the service battalion, the ppcli and the airborne. The airborne were the first one to write back and say they would sponser us. They were the ones that said we could were their beret. They also gave us the airborne flashes and t-shirts as well as invited us down to thier training center on many weekends to visit.

Anymore questions just ask.

P.S. I still have my origonal beret and shoulder flashes.

Hey

i find this whole issue of non para guys wear maroon berets ridiculus. I can understand full well the concept of regimental dress however the use of a sacred item such as maroon beret isn't right. For example, if an air cadet sqn was aflliated with a regF sqn, does that entitle all cadet sqn members the right to wear wings? I think not. Because those regF pilots went through the training and such, they are allowed to wear that item on their uniform. Same thing with the maroon beret , until every member of that cadet corp has gotten their jump quals, they should not be allowed to wear maroon.

rmc_wannabe said:
Hey

i find this whole issue of non para guys wear maroon berets ridiculus. I can understand full well the concept of regimental dress however the use of a sacred item such as maroon beret isn't right. For example, if an air cadet sqn was aflliated with a regF sqn, does that entitle all cadet sqn members the right to wear wings? I think not. Because those regF pilots went through the training and such, they are allowed to wear that item on their uniform. Same thing with the maroon beret , until every member of that cadet corp has gotten their jump quals, they should not be allowed to wear maroon.

Try actually reading some of the posts in this thread.  A maroon beret is not a trades or qualification badge.  Wings are, so you're mixing apples and oranges.

I think perhaps it is time to lock this one up since it seems to be going in circles...

I want to say one thing in here.  the maroon Beret is trade specific.  if you don have the wings, you dont wear the beret. 

I want to say one thing in here.   the maroon Beret is trade specific.   if you don have the wings, you dont wear the beret.  

Which would make it qualification specific, not trade specific.

Regardless, there is no merit in opening a new discussion on maroon berets and Cadets. It's been done, and locked before because it didn't go anywhere.

stop posting all these things about airborne and stuff and pulling up dead threads. god.

my honest opinion is though NO the only cadets that should be allowed are the ones that have done there para course and passed.

Why?  Plenty of reg force soldiers have completed a para course and don't wear a raspberry beret.  It lowers the value of said beret if any cadet can jump five times and plop it on his head.  It's bad enough that an AIC isn't required anymore....

CHIMO,  Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back