• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When pilots need new underwear

FedEx 1432 could have done a barrel roll and still cleared SouthWest. Would love to hear the ATC tapes.

Looks like they came within 75’, with the fedex pretty much flaring to land… That must have been a puckery climb out. I definitely want to hear the audio on this one.

Here is the audio. Does not sound like either of the pilots really saw anything.

Both crews should buy a powerball ticket…

Here is the audio. Does not sound like either of the pilots really saw anything.

ATC should have given FedEx a continue, not clear him. Southwest should have gotten its IFR clearance before just positioning on the runway. If they were going to sit in the runway finger punching stuff into the FMS they should have declined the takeoff clearance from ATC and asked for a wait. Southwest also failed to comply with ATC’s abort order. FedEx guys were on the ball and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had their hands over the throttles even back when they were cleared. I don’t know what part of MANOPS could have permitted ATC to clear FedEx if Southwest wasn’t even on takeoff roll.

The landing clearance is laziness/complacency. I have seen it happen, periodically, in Canada where an aircraft on approach is given a landing clearance when the runway is still fouled by a departing aircraft during VFR conditions. It should never, ever happen IFR.

Southwest had no clearance to depart. They were clearly aborted by ATC. The swiss cheese very nearly lined up here. That must have been to see two large jets fly a Blue angels type routine down that runway for about 15 seconds until Fedex’s max effort climb started to re-establish separation. With 1/8NM vis, I wonder how much of this tower even saw?

ATC should have given FedEx a continue, not clear him. Southwest should have gotten its IFR clearance before just positioning on the runway. If they were going to sit in the runway finger punching stuff into the FMS they should have declined the takeoff clearance from ATC and asked for a wait. Southwest also failed to comply with ATC’s abort order. FedEx guys were on the ball and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had their hands over the throttles even back when they were cleared. I don’t know what part of MANOPS could have permitted ATC to clear FedEx if Southwest wasn’t even on takeoff roll.
To be fair to the Southwest crew, it's not uncommon to be cleared to depart via a Standard Instrument Departure (SID) prior to pushing back, only to be assigned a new heading / altitude with take off clearance. No FMS fiddling required in this example - select HDG mode and turn the knob.

I'm not familiar with the FAA ATC manual, but in my experience flying in the US, ATC does seem to issue landing clearances well before preceding traffic clears the runway, or departing traffic has started to roll, compared to Canadian ATC.

We recently had to go-around (tower initiated) after a departing aircraft became disabled after receiving their take off clearance. We had been cleared to land 3 miles back, while the other aircraft was lined up in position, waiting for their take off clearance.

Perhaps the FAA will re-evaluate permitting this practice.

The landing clearance is laziness/complacency. I have seen it happen, periodically, in Canada where an aircraft on approach is given a landing clearance when the runway is still fouled by a departing aircraft during VFR conditions. It should never, ever happen IFR.

Southwest had no clearance to depart. They were clearly aborted by ATC. The swiss cheese very nearly lined up here. That must have been to see two large jets fly a Blue angels type routine down that runway for about 15 seconds until Fedex’s max effort climb started to re-establish separation. With 1/8NM vis, I wonder how much of this tower even saw?
In the video you posted, it sounds to me like Southwest was cleared for take off with heading and altitude assigned, unless I'm mistaken.

If the video captioning ia accurate, it's FedEx that calls for Southwest to abort, as they (FedEx) are going-around. If so, good SA on FedEx, realizing that they could potentially be flying a missed approach procedure and overtaking a departing aircraft beneath them. It sounds like this warning was too late, as Southwest was already committed to the take off.

From my comfortable armchair, I think this was ATC's mistake...

In the video you posted, it sounds to me like Southwest was cleared for take off with heading and altitude assigned, unless I'm mistaken.

If the video captioning ia accurate, it's FedEx that calls for Southwest to abort, as they (FedEx) are going-around. If so, good SA on FedEx, realizing that they could potentially be flying a missed approach procedure and overtaking a departing aircraft beneath them. It sounds like this warning was too late, as Southwest was already committed to the take off.

I agree. Juan Browne, on his channel (Blancoliro) makes the point that SW should never have been cleared onto the runway after ATC had just cleared an aircraft (Fedex) to conduct a Cat 3 ILS approach. You cannot put a vehicle into the ILS exclusion zone at that point. It is something I had not considered the first couple times I went through this scenario.

If I understand right, even without an actual collision, had SWA ascended into FedEx’s wake, that itself could have really been bad news bears?

To be fair to the Southwest crew, it's not uncommon to be cleared to depart via a Standard Instrument Departure (SID) prior to pushing back, only to be assigned a new heading / altitude with take off clearance. No FMS fiddling required in this example - select HDG mode and turn the knob.

It sure sounded like a full To-Via-Maintain-Depart clearance being read to SW on the ATC tapes.

I’m not sure it was FX calling the abort. And hard to say whether SW was past V1. They were taking their time enough that ATC asked them what they were doing.

I agree here. SW was behind the power curve. FedEx crew was on the ball - solid crew well prepared and took expedient action to keep all safe.

SW should never have been cleared onto the runway after ATC had just cleared an aircraft (Fedex) to conduct a Cat 3 ILS approach. You cannot put a vehicle into the ILS exclusion zone at that point.

It boggles my mind that ATC thought that trying to squeeze SW in for an expedited departure in front of FX 3nm back…one minute, twelve seconds from touchdown in 1/8mi visibility…was questionable at best, and were it not for the FedEx crew’s professionalism, would have been a disaster.

If you listen to the tape a couple of times, you can clearly tell it was the voice of the Capt of the Fedex who called SW to abort, not the tower controller.

That SW refused the abort should mean they were past V1 and committed to going flying. Risky, but if they had rejected, they may piled off the end of the runway.

Alot went wrong here, but alot also went right in the short strokes. Fedex seemed to have good SA (other than maybe not hitting the go around button as soon as SW taxiied onto the runway). It is difficult to make out from the tapes what the SW crew knew- I wonder if they even ever saw the 767?

If I understand right, even without an actual collision, had SWA ascended into FedEx’s wake, that itself could have really been bad news bears?
It would not have been good flying into a 767 wake turbulence on a no wind day, that close to the ground, no.

If you listen to the tape a couple of times, you can clearly tell it was the voice of the Capt of the Fedex who called SW to abort, not the tower controller.

That SW refused the abort should mean they were past V1 and committed to going flying. Risky, but if they had rejected, they may piled off the end of the runway.

Alot went wrong here, but alot also went right in the short strokes. Fedex seemed to have good SA (other than maybe not hitting the go around button as soon as SW taxiied onto the runway). It is difficult to make out from the tapes what the SW crew knew- I wonder if they even ever saw the 767?
It was super foggy. Nobody saw shit. I saw photos of the airport and it was soup.

Back