• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where has Canada's Military Gone?

ArtyNewbie said:
never bloody fails does it, what ever happened to the old gym.

I do believe it is "a young athlete training center" or at least that is what the sign said the other day.

"Morale-Boosting Location

An office or commercial space at CLC Calgary offers a small town atmosphere with the economic advantages of being in a big city. Your employees will welcome the freedom from traffic jams and expensive parking fees and will find themselves inspired by the buildings steeped in military heritage set among the park-like setting of CLC Calgary.

Direct access to Crowchild Trail
Free parking
On-site walking and bicycle pathways
5 minutes from Glenmore Recreational Park
3 golf courses within 5 minutes drive
A variety of dining options, both on site and in nearby Marda Loop
CLC Calgary Makes Good Business Sense

Conveniently accessible from most parts of the city, CLC Calgary has office, retail, industrial, and commercial spaces of all sizes available for lease.

Buildings available ranging in size from 970 to 56,320 ft2
Leases of 1 to 5 years available
Choice of floor plans and building characteristics
Competitive rental rates and flexible terms

Client Quotes and Testimonials

Alberta Venture has been located at CFB West since 1999 and have no intention of moving! We make sales calls all over the city so find the location absolutely perfect. Centrally located without being downtown. The building we're in is its own little "community" where we've all gotten to know each other and need little excuse to get together at someone's office and have a "building" brunch, Valentine party, whatever. Management is efficient and friendly, and has always promptly looked after any concern we may have had. I have in fact, referred CFB West to many of my clients when I know they're relocating.

Keep up the good work!

Deb Bunbury
Account Executive
Alberta Venture Magazine

As tenants of Building B-1, we have the pleasure of looking onto Parade Square and at times seeing the rabbits, gophers and families of partridges scoot by.
Having our office in this location meets so many of our requirements; there are no parking problems, it is a central location for our programs that run citywide, we have use of a board room for special meetings and the added touch is we get to enjoy the green spaces for walks during lunch hour and as well as use one of the many picnic tables for lunch or fresh air breaks.

Why would you want to be anywhere else!

Brenda Wood
Executive Director
Friends of Seniors Foundation

Source:http://www.clccalgary.ca/en/officeAndCommercialDevelopment.htm

rabitts, gophers and parking on the parade square, hmmmm, rounds on, FFE??.  The only good use for any of the buildings after the base closed was leasing the shacks to the UofC for overflow residences. And of course we can't forget the curling club had to be torn down just so it didn't make the area ugly when they moved all the MQ's from Lincoln to Currie and called it garrison woods.

Continuing on the bunker hunt theme:
NORAD Bunker
http://www.cbc.ca/video/features/news/#, then scroll down to NORAD Bunker

Not the one I was looking for but worth watching.

edit to add:
here is/ are the clues to another "Definbunker"

"Frostbite: Manitoba's Cold War Secrets
Premiere: October 22, 2006
Manitoba has played an important role in the Cold War, but few people realize it. Frostbite takes us from a stillactive
NORAD command bunker buried beneath the Winnipeg airport… along the DEW radar line that cut a
swath through the North… into the history of military activity that few realized took place in Manitoba’s fields
and airspace."

edit to add, add.
Still not the right one:
Cold War relic buried at Shilo
Last Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2001
http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2001/02/22/mb_bunker220201.html

Just got back from touring around Baden.  It is now a commercial airport, but you can still wander around the old HAS in some places and the green paint is starting to show through the cream they painted the single quarters.

I lived in the bunker at CFB Shilo for five weeks in the summer of 1975.  It had a lot of bedspaces - great for transient accomodations, and air-conditioned to boot!

HEY MODS!  We need a map!  "The interactive Military Map Of Canada"

-Part of this site.
-Historical battle sites on Cdn soil.
-Pre and post confederation bases, stations, trg areas, ranges, DEW/NW Line, Mid-Canada Line (amazing technical achievement), Pinetree Line, Pinetree Gap-Filler Radar bases (didn't know about those, did you?), major mil a/c activities: patrol zones/crashes/ Bear intercepts.
- Ship/U Boat sinkings
- War production factories: Munitions depots, aircraft/AFV/SMP factories, Sa factories, etc

Make it so we click on a colour-coded icon and a Wiki opens up.

The contributions on this site are a good start.  Hey, maybe someone is still alive who remembers where they buried all of the chemical weapons in Borden after WW1!

Comments?

Funny Tom.  I lived in one of those old H-Huts near the Bunker during the summer of 1974.  We ate in the Bunker.  The only ones I remember living in the Bunker were 9 Platoon.  I know you weren't in that Platoon.  They were all women.  ;D

TCBF said:
I lived in the bunker at CFB Shilo for five weeks in the summer of 1974.  It had a lot of bedspaces - great for transient accomodations, and air-conditioned to boot!

HEY MODS!  We need a map!  "The interactive Military Map Of Canada"

-Part of this site.
-Historical battle sites on Cdn soil.
-Pre and post confederation bases, stations, trg areas, ranges, DEW/NW Line, Mid-Canada Line (amazing technical achievement), Pinetree Line, Pinetree Gap-Filler Radar bases (didn't know about those, did you?), major mil a/c activities: patrol zones/crashes/ Bear intercepts.
- Ship/U Boat sinkings
- War production factories: Munitions depots, aircraft/AFV/SMP factories, Sa factories, etc

Make it so we click on a colour-coded icon and a Wiki opens up.

The contributions on this site are a good start.  Hey, maybe someone is still alive who remembers where they buried all of the chemical weapons in Borden after WW1!

Comments?

There's the wiki, start building.  A map can come later.

George Wallace said:
Funny Tom.  I lived in one of those old H-Huts near the Bunker during the summer of 1974.  We ate in the Bunker.  The only ones I remember living in the Bunker were 9 Platoon.  I know you weren't in that Platoon.  They were all women.   ;D

- You peeked!

;D

It was 1975.  Summer 1974 I spent here (Wainwright).  I have corrected my seriously flawed post - date-wise - above.

"Where's the wiki, start building.  A map can come later."

- Now isn't that just like the Army: Some guy comes up with a good idea and to pay him back they give him all of the work!

;)

The Bunker in Valcartier has been used for accomodations for a llllong time.
Dark as heck when the power goes out though

Odd going through the hallways, reading signs that describe who the accomodations were intended for....

I had to sign for a good chunk of the bunker in Nanaimo, 1200 sets of bedding and full brand new Cafeteria from the 50’s. It was fun getting parts for equipment that old, had to get some custom made. I think they just buried the door, but could be wrong. 

My QL3 accomodations were at the bunker in Borden in 1993. The base was removing the H-huts on Ortona road at that time. But the old base HQ and A club were still in operation that year.

marshall sl said:
found this on Google    http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2529/

marshal,
thank you for that link. Nice to see all the reference in it

George Wallace said:
There is a former base in Ontario, near the Quebec border, just south of the 417 that once had a population of over 30,000.  Now its' landing strips are hidden in the woods and covered by piles of manure.  A few concrete small arms butts are visible in the woods.  All its buildings are gone.  Totally forgotten in time. 

No. 13 EFTS, BCATP.  Also known as Connor Airfield.

I took a ride out there today, almost missing it until I saw the small arms stop butts just in the edge of the trees.  Seems unsettling to see pistol range butts 25 metres from a major county highway.  The area is for sale, now.  No gates or fences.  Looks like considerable effort is underway to clear the land.  Not surprisingly, the few locals I spoke to in St. Eugene (a true "one horse town") had no idea what the structure was.

If you were to travel Radar Rd. from Hanmer (ON) to Sudbury (ON) you would pass by CFB Falconbridge on the right hand side and the still standing military housing which is now owned by a private company and which civilians now reside in.

Colin P said:
I had to sign for a good chunk of the bunker in Nanaimo, 1200 sets of bedding and full brand new Cafeteria from the 50’s. It was fun getting parts for equipment that old, had to get some custom made. I think they just buried the door, but could be wrong. 

This should be the location for the Nanaimo one, now buried.  :crybaby:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=49.150703,-123.969276&spn=0.005298,0.009613&t=h&z=17

Back