• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Frame and costomizations do you find best for rucking?

Pte.Nomercy

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering, what do you guys find to be the best way to customize your ruck sack as in weight distribution, extra padding and also, what do you find to be the ruck sack frame? Traditional issued frame, jump frame or man-pack radio frame?

I found (in my time in 3 VP- where we humped a lot!) that the jump frame with the new bag on top was the best for me - with a civie waist band of course...

I prefer 64 pattern ruck. Bag on bottom, valise on top. Cargo straps to hold down valise. Cargo strap to secure radio on top behind the valise. 2 x 2 quart canteens, one on each side of ruck at the bottom. I use the shoulder straps from the 84 (?) pattern ruck vice the original straps from the 64. A good waist band is nice.

What about weight distribution? I heard it‘s better to have the ruck ride higher hugging your shoulders instead of pulling and bending your back backwards?

Originally posted by Pte.Nomercy:
[qb] What about weight distribution? I heard it‘s better to have the ruck ride higher hugging your shoulders instead of pulling and bending your back backwards? [/qb]
Absolutely. I prefer my ruck up high. Strap a radio behind the valise and most of the weight winds up being quite high. I put my extra ammo, smoke grenades, radio batteries, any bottle water and camel back in an IPE bag and strap it to the top of the ruck with the valise for easy access. Again the weight winds up higher. The bag on the bottom of the ruck usually winds up being the lightest part of the ruck.

In my opinion, when it comes time to drop ruck, mission essential kit and ammo can‘t be packed away in the bag at the bottom, as that would result in the requirement to repack as opposed to just grabbing the IPE bag off of the top of the ruck.

Thats why I have the new bag at the top of the frame. Mind you, I am 6‘4", so it will never be comfortable. The waist belt is the key

Often used in Australia is the US ALICE w/frame in OD or AUSCAM med and lge sizes. I use my Cdn 82 ruck ptrn with wire frame, which has been welded a few times over th past 9.5 yrs.

It gets me by, and I have humped it far and near from the deserts to the tropics, and its far superior to the issue AUSCAM pack which is frameless, and is similar to the old Cdn cargo packs, which are trash, or back breakers to say the least.

I‘ll try to find an old 1964 Ptrn frame from the ole C1 Ruck on my next visit home.

Cheers,

Wes

Originally posted by Wesley H. Allen, CD:
[qb] Often used in Australia is the US ALICE w/frame in OD or AUSCAM med and lge sizes. I use my Cdn 82 ruck ptrn with wire frame, which has been welded a few times over th past 9.5 yrs.

It gets me by, and I have humped it far and near from the deserts to the tropics, and its far superior to the issue AUSCAM pack which is frameless, and is similar to the old Cdn cargo packs, which are trash, or back breakers to say the least.

I‘ll try to find an old 1964 Ptrn frame from the ole C1 Ruck on my next visit home.

Cheers,

Wes [/qb]
I‘ve never absolutely hated the ‘82 coathanger ruck. I just prefer the ‘64. I find it much more robust, and much more flexible for adding extra straps, kit and general customization. Especially if you are expected to regularly throw a radio on with the ruck.

It is also much easier with the ‘64, to ditch extra equipment (flak jacket), strap on bulky ammo natures etc, than with the ‘82, especially when you add extra long cargo straps vice the issue straps for the valise. It packs up in a nice, tight package.

Shorter people also seem to really appreciate the shorter size of the ‘64 pattern.

Not hard to beat the old cargo pack though.

Back